#1 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1978
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted April 13, 2011 - 05:09 PM

I went to go fire up the lawn mower the other day 14.5 briggs ohv. I think my little girl topped off my oil the other day with some water. I found it when I checked the oil before starting it up. There definitely was a lot of water in there. I changed the oil and started it and ran for a few minutes and it was milky. I have done this three times and each time milky. Was wondering if this has ever happened to any of you all and if it has how do you get all the water out. I am afraid to run the engine very long with milky oil. I also hate to keep changing it over and over. I wonder if there are any additives that would help?

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 13, 2011 - 06:05 PM

I don't know if they make any additives to help remove water from oil or not. We used to use a small cap full of rubbing alcohol in the big truck diesel tanks to keep them from freezing and the alcohol would disperse the water a little better.

Oil is going to stay on top of the water, so I would think that if you top the oil off, run it and then let it sit for a day or two with the drain plug at the lowest point that would be about the best way to get as much water out at one shot as possible.

#3 dennyblock OFFLINE  

dennyblock

• Member No: 2604
  • 5 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted April 13, 2011 - 06:21 PM

Hi, I work at a Subaru dealership and for the last few years we've had headgasket problems leaking coolant. When replacing the gaskets coolant always gets in the oil. If you drained and refilled the oil let the engine let it idle until it's fully warmed up and any remaining water should evaporate in a short time. Idling the engine for up to an hour or more with a little moisture shouldn't hurt it.I've not heard of additives to dry oil. You will have to teach her what the oil can looks like, at least she's trying to help!
  • NUTNDUN said thank you

#4 tex tractor jack OFFLINE  

tex tractor jack

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1854
  • 41 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted April 13, 2011 - 06:24 PM

If you put Alcohol in the oil DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE, take the plug out and crank it over fast a few times, then drain oil. Letting it sit for a while and then draining the water out will help.

good luck

Jack

#5 tex tractor jack OFFLINE  

tex tractor jack

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1854
  • 41 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted April 13, 2011 - 06:26 PM

That should have said SPARK PLUG.

Jack

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 13, 2011 - 06:26 PM

Hi, I work at a Subaru dealership and for the last few years we've had headgasket problems leaking coolant. When replacing the gaskets coolant always gets in the oil. If you drained and refilled the oil let the engine let it idle until it's fully warmed up and any remaining water should evaporate in a short time. Idling the engine for up to an hour or more with a little moisture shouldn't hurt it.I've not heard of additives to dry oil. You will have to teach her what the oil can looks like, at least she's trying to help!

I didn't even think about being able to evaporate the water with the engine being warmed up. Would all go out the crankcase breather. I would feel more comfortable knowing most of the water was already out before running it though.

#7 dennyblock OFFLINE  

dennyblock

• Member No: 2604
  • 5 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted April 13, 2011 - 06:43 PM

He did say he drained and filled three times, and yes you would want to get as much out as possable first

#8 matts OFFLINE  

matts

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2175
  • 48 Thanks
  • 166 posts

Posted April 13, 2011 - 07:26 PM

I would flush the engine with diesel fuel or karosene. The lighter oil will cause the water to cling to the molocules a bit better and be flushed away. Drain the oil, and fill the crankcase with diesel. Remove the plug wire, and crank it over about 10 - 15 seconds. Imediatly drain the crankcase. Leave the drain plug out and pour one more quart og the fuel through and let it run out. Fill it with engine oil, and there will be no more milk. In the golf bussiness, I get alot of guys that dont speak or read english. I have done this many times.

#9 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1978
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted April 13, 2011 - 11:09 PM

Thanks everyone I am going to try some of these ideas and see what happens.

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted April 13, 2011 - 11:37 PM

As a last step, would some SeaFoam help any?
I mean after doing everything else, would the additive help at least make the water a non problem?

#11 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted April 14, 2011 - 12:13 AM

Left the plug out on my boat (18 foot Sea Rey w/ 302 Ford engine) one time, just unloaded it and ran around to where we were camping and pulled up to the bank and started putting up the tent etc. before dark. Next morning the boat was 1/2 under water. A friend pulled me back around to the ramp and we loaded it and let the water run out. Pulled it to his house, drained the oil/water out and replaced the oil filter and put in new oil. Back to the lake and kids wanting to ski. PUT PLUG IN, and put the boat in the water. Let it run at idle for 1 hour, shut it down and checked the oil. All the moisture was gone and all was well. Never forgot to put the plug back in after that.

#12 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 14, 2011 - 08:28 AM

All my equipment was under 6 ft of water for 10 days last August. My 15 yr old Grandson who is quite good with small engines waded through water to pull my pushmower, rototiller, Chainsaw, Snow Blower etc out of the flood. Changing the oil, cleaning spark plugs. He got them all running.
And then changed the oil twice more. Remarkably they all came through the flood in good shape.

So don't give up too soon, you can probably save it!

I had a pretty nice woodworking shop and have been amazed at how many of my electric power tools made it through as well.

#13 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted April 14, 2011 - 01:01 PM

One of my duties as a millwright in a steel works was looking after the oil cellar. The oil tanks were steam heated to about 140* to allow the oil to drop out of suspension. Idling the engine will do the same, but wait a while to let the oil settle before draining. We had large oil tanks (from 500 to 10,000 gallons) with baffles and the oil didn't get stirred up too much like it will be in a small engine.

#14 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted April 15, 2011 - 07:27 PM

to get water out of engine crankcases i use iso heat, it displaces the water. all you do is drain the oil put iso heat in spin the motor with plug out. let it sit a wile drain all the iso heat out put new oil in

#15 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,301 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted April 15, 2011 - 07:42 PM

You could take the Lifter cover off of the head and flush it out with Diesel or Karosene.
There will be water in the lifter cover anyway.
Buy a couple gallon and just dump it in and let it run out of the head.You might have to take the breather assembly off to get the water out of there.