• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 backyardtinker OFFLINE  

backyardtinker
  • Member No: 73578
  • 249 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 09:48 PM

Here is a tip for those of you with the Harbor Freight media blasting hood/head gear. (look here for picture http://www.harborfre...e blasting hood  ) I purchased one of these hoods last year and used it while blasting the sub frame for my Trans-Am. After that job was completed as well as a few other parts, the poly-carbonate lens became so pitted and fogged up that I couldn't see through it any more. I took it out and began using my face shield under it but between the hood,face shield and respirator, it was a bit UN-wieldy and cumbersome. I lamented the fact that I could not get a replacement lens from HF. Today however, I was at HF to pick up a few things, one of which was a new face shield. I use the cheapo $2.99 version (  http://www.harborfre...isor-96542.html   ) as it works well, is light weight and last a decent amount of time and is, well, cheap.

On my way home I got an idea......Got home and went right to the shop. Took the old face shield, which was still half decent to look through and removed the thin poly carbonate lens from the head fixture. Measured the lens opening on the blasting hood and drew out two full size (6-1/4 x 5-1/4 ) lenses on the face of the lens and cut them out with my aviation snips. Inserted into the hood and voila! Instant replacement lens at last! The face shields are so cheap, it is worth it to buy a new one and cut it up for two lenses if need be. I also figured out that if you tuck the hood up under the outer edge of the inside helmet adjuster straps the helmet fits better on your head as well. Also, while on the topic of the HF blasting stuff, the 50# portable blaster nozzles are not available at the store but I have ordered them by phone by calling the number on the owners manual and ordering by part number. However, if you are in a pinch and need a "new" nozzle in a hurry, take the worn one out and flip it around. The inside of the hole wears much slower then the outside opening and gives you a decent amount of performance over the worn side.

Edited by backyardtinker, September 25, 2015 - 04:48 AM.

• Gtractor, Alc, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#2 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 10:50 PM

That is cheap for a flip up visor! $14 at Napa up here. For lens replacement in my sandblast hood i buy a sheet of plastic polycarbonate, the stuff for picture frames. A $8 sheet can be cut with a utility knife into 8 lenses. Seems whatever plastic you use pits at the same rate.

• boyscout862 and backyardtinker have said thanks

#3 backyardtinker OFFLINE  

backyardtinker
  • Member No: 73578
  • 249 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted September 25, 2015 - 04:47 AM

That is cheap for a flip up visor! $14 at Napa up here. For lens replacement in my sandblast hood i buy a sheet of plastic polycarbonate, the stuff for picture frames. A $8 sheet can be cut with a utility knife into 8 lenses. Seems whatever plastic you use pits at the same rate.

Is that stuff that you buy approx: the same thickness ( i.e. 1/16" ) or so and really bendable? Sounds like a good price at a buck a lens.

#4 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted September 25, 2015 - 06:33 AM

The plastic I use in lens is about 1/16th,,,it is somewhat brittle but flexible enough for a hood lens.  I use it because I needed something one day when stores were closed and thats what I had around the house. I believe hood lens were only $3 and are of a more durable plastic. 

Edited by Jazz, September 25, 2015 - 06:38 AM.

#5 dblover OFFLINE  

dblover
  • Member No: 73516
  • 266 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted September 25, 2015 - 07:23 AM

If you are blasting that much - I hope you invested in a separate air supply.    BTW: a cpap machine with a garden water hose extension works well if you keep the hose out of the sun to avoid hot air.