#1 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 05:54 PM

I have a International 184(Low Boy)I am working on..is that the same as a cub?

• chieffan and _swede have said thanks

#2 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 908 Thanks
  • 659 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 06:25 PM

Not the same. The Cubs were 1st generation, offset steering. The 154, 184 and 185 LoBoys were the last. In the middle were the Cub LoBoys, I'm pretty sure. All had straight 4 bangers, but ranged from 9 to 18 or so HP. Not an expert, but I have a '49 Cub, a formerly 154 and a 184, so I learned a bit along the way. 

• Alc, propane1, Auburn David and 1 other said thanks

#3 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 06:38 PM

Not the same. The Cubs were 1st generation, offset steering. The 154, 184 and 185 LoBoys were the last. In the middle were the Cub LoBoys, I'm pretty sure. All had straight 4 bangers, but ranged from 9 to 18 or so HP. Not an expert, but I have a '49 Cub, a formerly 154 and a 184, so I learned a bit along the way. 

Its pretty confusing to me..hard to find info on the IH 184 that I am working on..there are no manuals or anything international on this site that I can find.

#4 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 908 Thanks
  • 659 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 06:45 PM

Its pretty confusing to me..hard to find info on the IH 184 that I am working on..there are no manuals or anything international on this site that I can find.

A lot of parts, etc. are interchangeable between the 3 models as far as I know. IH has quite a bit of info/support out there. 

• Auburn David said thank you

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 07:37 PM

That model is one of last and is he best one. The clutch is on engine, not on axle where others had problem. Grill is more protected and not so breakable, early ones were fiberglas and many broke, impossible to find a used one. There is a web-site that is JUST for those tractors parts. It's Bob's Lo-boy or Bob's Cubs or Cub Parts, memory not working here. www.yesterdaystractors.com site is good place to join and ask on. Think even if you went to the Red Power GT forum, you should find people in the know or places to go to. I would think the modern Case/IH dealers would be having parts still and/or information. Have one near you? Mine local has lots of the older IH parts/paints/manuals when I've needed things in past. I'm sure there is IH websites by collectors too if you knew the right words to put in a google search. I think even my good local auto store has or can get most engine parts and smaller items in their warehouses.

#6 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,102 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 07:54 PM

Did they change in 64 to 65 went from farmall to international. All thou base owner was international any way. Just woundering , Noel.

#7 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,634 Thanks
  • 1,732 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 07:54 PM

I have a manual that covers the cub and lo-boy tractor.   I'll see if my brother wants to let go of his copy.

If so You pay the postage you can have it. 

Or  I'll be in Alablma some time Thursday on my way to Fort Rucker.  Might be able to hand it off.

Do you need a drawbar?  I know that the brother has one in the shed.  i can ask him how much.     Rick

#8 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted September 25, 2015 - 06:04 AM

Thank you all for all the useful info!!

#9 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted September 25, 2015 - 06:53 AM

International Harvester was the name of the company.  Built many products besides tractors, including freezers, refrigerators, stoves washing machines, etc.  Farmall was their tractor division.  Then Case bought out International and became Case IH.  The Farmall division was sold separately and those tractors are being built today by another company.  Don't recall that company parent name right off but first saw the new Farmall Tractors at a large county fair a few years ago.  I think the dealers are kind of few and far between as most are staying with the Case IH brand, which probably don't want another red tractor mixed in.

• propane1 and Auburn David have said thanks

#10 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,682 Thanks
  • 8,882 posts

Posted September 26, 2015 - 10:31 AM

The Farmall name is still owned by Case, or more accurately, CNH Industrial. (formerly CNH Global until they merged with Fiat)

#11 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted September 27, 2015 - 06:56 PM

Just to clarify, Case did not buy International.  Tenneco Corporation did and merged it with Case which they already owned.  As Cat385b said Fiat who is the parent company of New Holland and CaseIH still own the rights to the Farmall name and the name has been used on tractors of less than 100hp since 2012.  There are 3 series, the A, B, and C.  They all have the Farmall name on them as well as the CaseIH name.  It's also interesting to note that IH quit using the Farmall name on their tractors in 1973, a full 11 years before the buyout and merger. 

The thing that was sold that was built under another company name was the C/CX series tractor line.  The drivetrain of this line could be traced back to IH's 74 series.  The line was sold to Landini in 1999 when New Holland and CaseIH merged to meet demands of European antitrust laws.  They became rebadged as McCormick and were sold under that name which also had been included in the sale to Landini.

#12 _swede OFFLINE  

_swede
  • Member No: 78683
  • 12 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted December 14, 2015 - 08:43 PM

That's the newer 18 hp variant with the centered steering, larger turfs and the Zenith carburetor. I have a 154 so most parts are interchangeable. If I recall correctly you have an electric clutch on the 185 for the rear PTO. And also the distinct red color scheme which reverted back to the traditional colors of the IH Farmall Cub. The 184 came after the 185 (yes it seems backwards) which also went back to the yellow and white color scheme.

Welcome to the forum!

#13 _swede OFFLINE  

_swede
  • 12 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted December 14, 2015 - 08:47 PM

That model is one of last and is he best one. The clutch is on engine, not on axle where others had problem. Grill is more protected and not so breakable, early ones were fiberglas and many broke, impossible to find a used one. There is a web-site that is JUST for those tractors parts. It's Bob's Lo-boy or Bob's Cubs or Cub Parts, memory not working here. www.yesterdaystractors.com site is good place to join and ask on. Think even if you went to the Red Power GT forum, you should find people in the know or places to go to. I would think the modern Case/IH dealers would be having parts still and/or information. Have one near you? Mine local has lots of the older IH parts/paints/manuals when I've needed things in past. I'm sure there is IH websites by collectors too if you knew the right words to put in a google search. I think even my good local auto store has or can get most engine parts and smaller items in their warehouses.

http://hamiltonbobs.com

A great company to work with. If you buy items on eBay they will combine shipping to save you money! I've bought dozens of things from them already.
  • tater195 said thank you

#14 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted December 14, 2015 - 08:48 PM

Aub has been around for a while.. cruise the joke post.. or are you welcoming yourself to the forum? In that case.. welcome you too! 

#15 _swede OFFLINE  

_swede
  • 12 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted December 14, 2015 - 08:48 PM

Send me a personal message and I can email you the service manuals I have. A lot of the 184/185 is covered in my documents.