#1 jerseyhawg / glenn ONLINE  

jerseyhawg / glenn
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62978
  • 229 Thanks
  • 129 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 01:19 AM

I would like some advice on Case tractors. Recently I got rid of 2 of my wheel horses and have thought about getting a Case 444. I saw one in the beginning of the summer. That big wheel look stuck with me and I thought I might like to try one. Is there any advantage to either the 444, 446, or 448? I know the quirky onans vs kohler as I have had both. I also found a nicely done Case 195, its pretty pricey, but found out thier one piece pto is weak, hard to repair and that model is prone to axel shear, and that part is near impossible to find. Well, anyway, thats my dilemma. Not knowing much about Case, So thats why I thought you Case owners could guide me to make a better decision. I am open to suggestions on other Case models to. Oh and jobs for the Case, light mowing, snow duties, plow or snowblower.

Glenn
  • tiretrx and HANKG have said thanks

#2 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,133 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 04:48 AM

My wife's grandfather had a 220 (in storage awaiting restoration) the thing was a beast with the snowblower.
Parts are easily available little has changed on these since the 70s and you can still get parts through Ingersol.
If you posted this earlier I saw a case 444 for 300 bucks last weekend not sure if it sold or not looked like a project but it was complete
  • jerseyhawg / glenn said thank you

#3 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 04:57 AM

I just sold a case 220 and an Ingersoll 222, if you are looking for a god solid machine either of these are great with plenty of power and fairly simple to work on.  I don't know much about the bigger cases other than they go for good money in this area.

Pete

• Alc and jerseyhawg / glenn have said thanks

#4 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,876 Thanks
  • 2,791 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 05:46 AM

Hey Glenn, I saw that 195 on CL it is spectacular I think he was asking 1500 hunge for it. If I had the geld I would not hesitate, I don't know what your use would be for it show or go but you know how much it would cost to restore one like that so I don't find his price to be exorbitant. Both petrj6 and me own case 155's I use mine for snow removal I love the full hydraulic ability of them.

#5 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 09:10 AM

My only complaint about my 155 is the hyd system is weak and noisy, but that is just my tractor I think it has been used and abused and when I got it it had the wrong oil in there otherwise it is a great machine.

#6 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 10:02 AM

I have a ingersoll 6018 that I have re powered with a Kohler ..it was wore out when I got it..but its still good and powerful.I hope one day to have all the quirks fixed on it.

#7 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 908 Thanks
  • 659 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 10:56 AM

I have a 220 and just love the thing. Lot of capability in a smallish package.

• HANKG and jerseyhawg / glenn have said thanks

#8 jerseyhawg / glenn ONLINE  

jerseyhawg / glenn
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 229 Thanks
  • 129 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 12:53 PM

Hey Glenn, I saw that 195 on CL it is spectacular I think he was asking 1500 hunge for it. If I had the geld I would not hesitate, I don't know what your use would be for it show or go but you know how much it would cost to restore one like that so I don't find his price to be exorbitant. Both petrj6 and me own case 155's I use mine for snow removal I love the full hydraulic ability of them.

Hey Hank, glad for the shout out. I think its was done sweet. I spoke to the owner also, nice fella. My problems with that machine are as mentioned. Weak single piece hydro and also the axel shear. I researched it somewhat and that seems to be the 2 common problems with the 195. One fellow stated if used for plowing or snowblowing that you can rest assured a axel will fail. Those 2 pieces, and the axel being the worst of the 2 are near impossible to find. Trust me, I am far from a case expert either. Just going by what has been said. Would hate to spend that kind of green and end up with a lawn ornament. Still open to other models of case. Like I stated the 444 caught my eye. But that doesnt mean its the one.

Thanks for all the advice so far from folks on this thread. Will be wide eyed reading and researching, prefer, if possible to get one thats done.

Glenn

Edited by jerseyhawg / glenn, September 24, 2015 - 01:45 PM.

• HANKG said thank you

#9 Michigan446 OFFLINE  

Michigan446
  • Member No: 74940
  • 14 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 01:39 PM

I also just sold my Wheelhorses to move to the Case big wheel.  I've always wanted one so I got a 446.  A week later I bought a 222 and a 3012 Ingersoll.  I had the 446 for a few weeks and sold it.  I was over kill for me.  The deck was way to big(hard to get between stuff in the yard) and mowing the ditches was hard becase it liked to tip with the big tires.  It was a great machine but just didn't fit my needs.  I'm a big guy and the 222 felt small to me like my knees were up to my chest so now my son owns that one.  My 3012 Ingersoll fits me perfect and the 44" deck is just right.  It has plenty of power with the Magnum 12 Kohler.  I would take a few different ones for a ride before you buy one.  I would by another 3000 series Ingersoll in a heartbeat if I needed another tractor.  On a side note my son wanted to do a tug -o- war.  We hooked a chain between his 222 and my 446 on a gravel driveway.  Both in low range at half throttle.  That 222 pulled me and the 446 backwards about 10ft before I gave up.  My big tires were spinning forward the whole time while he was laughing at me.  Then we did the same with the Ingersoll 3012 and his 222.  I managed to pull his 222 backwards with my 3012 but it was a battle.  

Don 

• Gtractor, HANKG and jerseyhawg / glenn have said thanks

#10 jerseyhawg / glenn ONLINE  

jerseyhawg / glenn
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 229 Thanks
  • 129 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 01:58 PM

Thanks Don, yes thats an intersting choice to. Case / Ingersol. Didnt think of that , so thanks for that tip. Definitely would like the plow and snowblower attachment for whatever one I get.

Are attachments hard to come by on these Case and Ingersol models? Something extra to think about. I still have 3 wheel horses, 4 cutting decks, 2 plow blades and 2 snowblowers, so I am covered on the wheel horse end. Lol thanks again,

Glenn

#11 jerseyhawg / glenn ONLINE  

jerseyhawg / glenn
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 229 Thanks
  • 129 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 02:37 PM

Hank, I also wanted to comment as I have been researching that I saw the 2 of you guys kicking back and forth on those models. That other gent did a fine restore on his, I read your compliment to him. I just get skiddish on that 195 for those 2 prone problems I mentioned. Your in this hobby long enough and sometimes just some parts you cant get. I would like to work the little darlin a little here and there. But your correct again, I thought the refresh was quite nice, I was puzzled by leaving the underside of the hood in primer though. But looked great. And that old timey design was superb to, cant deny it.

Glenn
  • HANKG said thank you

#12 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,133 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 03:32 PM

Here is one for 900 bucks not to far from you.

http://philadelphia....5151089538.html

There is also a deck for a 195/155 for sale for 75

#13 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,607 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 09:33 PM

We hooked a chain between his 222 and my 446 on a gravel driveway.  Both in low range at half throttle.  That 222 pulled me and the 446 backwards about 10ft before I gave up.  My big tires were spinning forward the whole time while he was laughing at me. 

Let some air out of your 16 inch tires.  8 psi is plenty.  The bigger the tire the less air needed. 

#14 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 11:48 PM

If you're going to work it would be better off with a newer 200 or 400 series they have updated rear drives over the 100 series.

The 400/4000s can snap bolts in the rear end, maybe the big wheels torque esp if run with ww/chains and hammered on, like with front blading. 

Most parts since mid-70s still available from Ingersoll.

Prices on used Case have gone down in the past couple years.

400 series use wider implements than 200.  They interchange but not always optimal.

3000 & 4000 attachments that spin belts don't interchange with the earlier machines.  Ingersoll turned the motors around, mule pulleys got rerouted.

Case have thick steel in a lot of places.

Most of them leak somewhere with 2,000 psi hydraulics.  Pumps, lines, valves are packed in pretty tight can be hard to work on esp the travel controls, good luck

• Alc and jerseyhawg / glenn have said thanks

#15 jerseyhawg / glenn ONLINE  

jerseyhawg / glenn
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 229 Thanks
  • 129 posts

Posted September 25, 2015 - 12:14 AM

Don, made mention of Ingersoll. Now I found myself looking at the 4018 specs. Brute of a machine. But , Imho, I think my 522xi is a match for that one in many respects. Funny thing on this hobby. Start looking at one (the 444 / 195) then you look at everything. Problem is, who the heck has all that dough. Lol Very interesting comments from all of you, I am soaking up like a sponge to. Many choices in this case / Ingersoll family to choose from. I am sure more comments will come.

Glenn
  • Alc said thank you