11 replies to this topic

#1 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 353 Thanks
  • 357 posts

Posted September 23, 2015 - 03:57 PM

I have acquired a used hood for my Grand Sierra.  The old hood had the typical breaks, cracks, repairs, etc.  The previous owner had repaired the cracks with some fiberglass resin and cloth and it seemed to work well.  I thought about coating the underside of my new hood as a precautionary measure to prevent cracking.  Has anyone done this?  Has anyone done anything different with good results?  I would like to have this hood last, as these are getting harder to find.  Thoughts, suggestions?  Thanks in advance.

Billy

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,582 Thanks
  • 3,961 posts

Posted September 23, 2015 - 04:10 PM

What are those hoods made of? I haven't seen one in person yet.

#3 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • 353 Thanks
  • 357 posts

Posted September 23, 2015 - 04:26 PM

What are those hoods made of? I haven't seen one in person yet.

Plastic!  (I "acquired" a pic from the interwebs as an example.)  Horrible for breaking/cracking.  I don't know if it's from vibration, people leaning on them, engine heat????  The dash tower and grill are plastic as well, also known for having issues.  I've seen people drill holes along the cracks and zip tie them together.  ATV riders do that a lot with their plastics.  I like the idea of fiberglass reinforcement.

wa0xls.jpg

• shorty said thank you

#4 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,442 Thanks
  • 953 posts

Posted September 23, 2015 - 06:15 PM

Fabricate a mold from your existing hood and make a fibreglass hood...or make hood from steel.  Since the plastic is prone to cracking, splitting etc most repairs are just temporary bandaids. 

• Billy M said thank you

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted September 23, 2015 - 07:51 PM

Yep! Just plastic, And breaks easy. I have late model PKS with same stuff. Once old is brittle and can break pieces just looking at it hard, heh! Think some company salesman did good/bad job of selling this New miracle compound to all the manufacturers to be easy to work with. OR, some 3rd party made parts for everyone? More out in sun, more brittle it gets. Fix one spot, brake beside same repair.
  • shorty said thank you

#6 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • 1,442 Thanks
  • 953 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 02:01 PM

Looks similar to this one at scrap yard. But this one is in amazing shape

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

• Billy M said thank you

#7 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • 353 Thanks
  • 357 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 03:18 PM

Yep.  Same hood, same part number.  That's actually what my replacement hood was off of.  The one I have is in great shape, and I want to keep it that way.  I'm thinking the fiberglass/cloth method may be the way to go.  I haven't gotten too many other suggestions.  My old "repaired" hood is going on the donor rider to resell. 

#8 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • 353 Thanks
  • 357 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 03:21 PM

Fabricate a mold from your existing hood and make a fibreglass hood...or make hood from steel.  Since the plastic is prone to cracking, splitting etc most repairs are just temporary bandaids. 

Sounds like a project for when I'm retired.  =)  I really don't have time for that right now.  I would say if someone did that, they could make some money selling them!

I'm really not looking for a repair.  I'm wanting a preventative measure so I won't have to repair it.

#9 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted September 25, 2015 - 05:56 AM

that hood is worthless to a scrapyard (it isn't metal) so grab it if it is still there and in that kind of shape and offer it for sale here....

#10 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • 1,442 Thanks
  • 953 posts

Posted September 25, 2015 - 06:45 AM

Scrapyard won't part out tractors. I would have to buy the whole thing.  I bought a Sears SS12 there last week just to get the wheel weights, hub caps and spare anything else.  There was a vintage Cub Cadet at the scrapyard I had seen in the spring at a auction,,someone had dragged home a pipe dream, never touched it and now at the scrapyard.

#11 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted September 25, 2015 - 05:36 PM

too bad youre in a whole nother country, I wouldn't mind having that grand sierra for parts... even though that hood won't fit my GT series....

#12 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • 353 Thanks
  • 357 posts

Posted September 25, 2015 - 09:05 PM

too bad youre in a whole nother country, I wouldn't mind having that grand sierra for parts... even though that hood won't fit my GT series....

That's a Sierra, the lawn tractor version of the Grand Sierra...not to cause confusion. =) It shares the hood & grill. That's about it. They are still a little nicer than most big box store mowers.
  • dodge trucker said thank you