• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SgtMoonracer ONLINE  

SgtMoonracer
  • Member No: 74500
  • 20 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted September 23, 2015 - 03:38 AM

If one would have purchased a new 42" mower deck for a 1050, (back in 1969 or so), what would have been included with the purchase? Would the attachment hardware for the tractor be included with the deck, or would that have been an item that would have been purchased separately?

Along the same vein... if you were buying or selling a used deck today, would you include, or expect to have included, the tractor mounted hardware?

The deck I obtained with my parts tractor is not recommended for my 900.  I'm working on a deal to swap it for a plow and blower, and I'm not sure if I should include the attachment hardware or just the deck.  I may eventually pick up a 38" deck, and will obviously need to mount it.

I should add that the mounting hardware came off of the 1050 parts tractor, but seems to fit my 900.  I'm unsure if it fits the smaller decks for the 900.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by SgtMoonracer, September 23, 2015 - 05:28 AM.

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted September 23, 2015 - 03:58 AM

The manuals I have seen all list the mounting hardware separate as some tractors require different hardware.  I would leave the hardware that is attached to your tractor on your tractor.  I have a good 42" deck I picked up some place along the line but no mounting hardware for it.  That is my opinion.

• SgtMoonracer said thank you

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted September 23, 2015 - 06:29 AM

You can go either way but the price should reflect what is included(don't give the mounting hardware away). You actually may be better off keeping the deck for future projects. Good Luck, Rick

#4 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted September 23, 2015 - 06:32 AM

That is a tough one. When I've bought a spare deck, I try to get atleast the universal joint to connect them, I've never gotten the rear arms that hook into the deck and rearend when I've bought a deck, or the pins and clips to hold the deck on. I guess if I was you, I'd try to keep the stuff you feel you need to hook up and run a mower, because when your buying, you never know what will be included.

#5 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted September 23, 2015 - 09:13 AM

If one would have purchased a new 42" mower deck for a 1050, (back in 1969 or so), what would have been included with the purchase? Would the attachment hardware for the tractor be included with the deck, or would that have been an item that would have been purchased separately?

Along the same vein... if you were buying or selling a used deck today, would you include, or expect to have included, the tractor mounted hardware?

The deck I obtained with my parts tractor is not recommended for my 900.  I'm working on a deal to swap it for a plow and blower, and I'm not sure if I should include the attachment hardware or just the deck.  I may eventually pick up a 38" deck, and will obviously need to mount it.

I should add that the mounting hardware came off of the 1050 parts tractor, but seems to fit my 900.  I'm unsure if it fits the smaller decks for the 900.

Thanks in advance!

If you look at the parts list for the #18457 mower deck (42"):   http://gardentractor...457-01-42inpdf/  it will show everything that was shipped with the mower deck. 

Once the hanger assy (ref #60) was fastened to the tractor, there was no reason to remove it if other attachments were used.  ...The hanger assy was painted brown/cordovan to match the tractor, while the universal joint & deck were green.  ...The rods (#19) and clevises (#17) were cad-plated, not painted. 

The 800,900,1000, 650,750,850,1050 tractors all used the same hardware and were interchangeable. .....All of the green decks were either 32", 38" or 42" cut. ...Later model tube-frame decks (red, black, dark-green) had several different styles of mounting.

The # 18442 (32") mower deck: http://gardentractortalk.com/forums/files/file/1418-18442-03-32inpdf/

and the #18446 (38") mower deck: http://gardentractor...-01-02-38inpdf/ all show the same hardware.

You can try using the 42" deck on your 900 tractor.  ...It will fit.  ....If you are not trying to cut tall grass, or mow to fast, it should work.  ....If you are trying to be "period correct,"  then, yes, you should get the proper 38" or 32" deck.

• Bolens 1000, boyscout862, chieffan and 2 others have said thanks

#6 SgtMoonracer ONLINE  

SgtMoonracer
  • Member No: 74500
  • 20 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 07:49 PM

Thanks all.  

I'm past the point of "period correct".  I admire those of you who have the time, patience, (and cash), to restore these to things of original beauty, but I'm just trying to have an old, functioning tractor.  I'd like it to look decent, but I want it to work.  Mine is currently a mix of a 900 frame, an engine from a 1000 or early 1050, and the transmission and assorted other parts from another 1050. But, it works!

I managed to locate a seal locally for the shaft (free!), and I got the seal installed, and thought I'd give the deck a try on the tractor.  I got it installed and took it for a spin cutting what little growth I have in the front yard.  It did okay.  The blades need sharpened, and I need to make sure the mounting hardware is level, but overall I was pleased.

If I keep the deck, the tractor won't fit through the shed door.  I'm not sure where I would keep it.  The guy I was dealing with will trade me a square-backed blower that he's never used but he said seems to spin freely, etc., and a blade without a lift rod even up for the deck.  I didn't want to  short him necessary deck parts if I do the swap, but I don't want to give him extra, either.  

Decisions, decisions...

#7 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted September 25, 2015 - 02:58 AM

Thanks all.

I'm past the point of "period correct". I admire those of you who have the time, patience, (and cash), to restore these to things of original beauty, but I'm just trying to have an old, functioning tractor. I'd like it to look decent, but I want it to work. Mine is currently a mix of a 900 frame, an engine from a 1000 or early 1050, and the transmission and assorted other parts from another 1050. But, it works!

I managed to locate a seal locally for the shaft (free!), and I got the seal installed, and thought I'd give the deck a try on the tractor. I got it installed and took it for a spin cutting what little growth I have in the front yard. It did okay. The blades need sharpened, and I need to make sure the mounting hardware is level, but overall I was pleased.

If I keep the deck, the tractor won't fit through the shed door. I'm not sure where I would keep it. The guy I was dealing with will trade me a square-backed blower that he's never used but he said seems to spin freely, etc., and a blade without a lift rod even up for the deck. I didn't want to short him necessary deck parts if I do the swap, but I don't want to give him extra, either.

Decisions, decisions...

So will the blower and blade fit through the shed door? Or will they also be too wide? I've heard the square back blowers don't work well. I have a few, but I've never personally used one. I heard you want a rounded back blower. If you need and will use the blade and blower more than a mower deck, I'd say it's not a bad swap. But see what he is offering to give with the blower. If he offers up the the pto universal joint, I'd offer him the mower deck one. Or each of you just keep your own. If he doesn't have one at all. You will need yours to run the blower.