• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 04:00 PM

Our garden got frosted about a week and a half ago so today I spread a 5'x 8' heaped tlr load of aged cow manure on it. Pulled out the ol' faithful Horse and tilled it in about medium depth. When enough leaves have fallen and they're dry enough, I'll vac them up and spread them on the garden and sink the Horse to the hilt on that pass. Then I'll be ready to wait for spring.

The tomatoes in the greenhouse are still producing so I'll keep them going until they freeze. I piled manure around all the plants. Once they're removed I'll till in the manure and leaves w/ the Mantis.

This happens about every year at our altitude. We get a hard frost about the middle of Sept. and then some Indian summer for a few weeks. It's forecast to be close to 90*F by Friday, LOL!! We can't complain as we got a good harvest off everything this year.

I don't know if it made a big difference but this was my first try at only tilling in the Fall last fall and not in the spring.

Mike

Edited by ol' stonebreaker, September 22, 2015 - 04:12 PM.

• Alc, KennyP, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#2 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 04:57 PM

Things are starting to run down here, but can not put the garden to bed till after the frost.
Still getting tomatoes and beans. Will not pull the pumpkins till frost kills the vines.
Got a few melons yet.

#3 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,141 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 05:28 PM

I have pulled and sprayed everything but the tomatoes.  They are still producing some but real watery.  Nothing was real good beyond the radish and lettuce this year.  Just to darn much rain.  Apple trees are loaded but small and about every one has a bee hole in it.  Rained so much so often I could not keep them sprayed enough.  Kept getting  washed off.  Every one of them we salvage will go into cider this year.  Wash them off and run them through the cider press.  Strain the juice twice, put it in jars and hot water bath it for about 15 min.  Will have plenty of cider all winter.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#4 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,104 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 09:28 PM

Two rows of potatoes to come out yet. Just a so, so crop this year. Noel

#5 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,141 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted September 23, 2015 - 03:50 AM

I have a load of wood to cut and split yet.  We use our fireplace a lot from about 3:30 on in the afternoon.  Photo was in 08, first year I used that trailer.

Wood-1-08.JPG

• olcowhand, Cvans and oldedeeres have said thanks

#6 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,316 Thanks
  • 2,412 posts

Posted September 23, 2015 - 05:17 AM

I'm still getting some tomatoes, got some peppers I need to pick, and that's it for the garden.
Had a big storm a couple of weeks ago, a large tree limb fell across the garden space. It was early Sunday morning and I was downnstairs drinking coffee and watching the news when I saw the flash of light and heard a loud boom. lucky thing, all that is left in the garden was the tomatoes and peppers, and the limb fell right beside them. a couple of small branches landed between tomato cages. weird. Kinda glad to have that limb gone, it was blocking sunlight on my garden space! I told my wife my Dad must have been watching over it. He passed away the day before that storm. Pop loved to grow tomatoes...I figured that's why the tomatoes cages weren't hit by the limb.

002.jpg

Edited by Delmar, September 23, 2015 - 12:29 PM.

• MH81 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#7 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted October 02, 2015 - 11:54 AM

Just mowed my garden down at lunch time.  Overall it was a good garden this year but it's time to say goodbye.  I'll disk it a little over the weekend or next week to get the rest of the stuff chopped up before I have a load of manure delivered.  I like to put the manure on now so it has a chance to get into the ground and I don't have to wait around for it in the spring.

Garden 1.JPG Garden 2.JPG

• Cvans and oldedeeres have said thanks

#8 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,473 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted October 02, 2015 - 11:01 PM

I'll disk it a little over the weekend or next week to get the rest of the stuff chopped up before I have a load of manure delivered.

You sound  like me. Just disked the garden yesterday and hauled home a load of year old Horse manure tonight. Three or four more loads should do it. Kernels on the corn were small this year so it's time to sweeten up the soil. 

PS.

I knew Horses were good for something.  :smilewink:

#9 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted October 03, 2015 - 01:28 PM

You sound like me. Just disked the garden yesterday and hauled home a load of year old Horse manure tonight. Three or four more loads should do it. Kernels on the corn were small this year so it's time to sweeten up the soil.
PS.
I knew Horses were good for something. :smilewink:

Horse manure is about the only thing you can get around here anymore. Not many folks have cattle that are close enough. I would rather have cow manure but what are you gonna do?

#10 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,473 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted October 03, 2015 - 09:04 PM

I would rather have cow manure but what are you gonna do?

I just found out this evening when filling the trailer again that this is actually horse and cow mixed. I think I read somewhere that's how they make a mule.  :D

• David Brown said thank you

#11 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,316 Thanks
  • 2,412 posts

Posted October 06, 2015 - 06:56 PM

I'm still getting some green peppers, tomatoes, and jalapeno peppers from the garden!

041.jpg

• Cvans said thank you

#12 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,836 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted October 07, 2015 - 12:05 PM

Lots of rain here lately so I'm still trying to get potatoes in--- only three more rows to go. Dug one row yesterday and got six 5gal. pails full, a red variety called Sangre. Beautiful spuds, but big, up to three pounds some of them. One of those will do me for almost a week, lol. Good thing my dogs like mashed potatoes!
  • Bmerf said thank you

#13 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted October 07, 2015 - 01:27 PM

Lots of rain here lately so I'm still trying to get potatoes in--- only three more rows to go. Dug one row yesterday and got six 5gal. pails full, a red variety called Sangre. Beautiful spuds, but big, up to three pounds some of them. One of those will do me for almost a week, lol. Good thing my dogs like mashed potatoes!

You don't have cats do you?  I can tell because you grow those beautiful spuds.  Every time I try to grow potatoes, my cats dig them up after I get them planted.  Don't know why, they just do.  I know it's them because I caught one in the act.  Does anyone else have that problem or am I the only one crazy enough to have cats?

• oldedeeres said thank you

#14 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,836 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted October 07, 2015 - 02:30 PM

Yes, I have cats!!!  Solved the garden digging problem by planting catnip at the far end of the patch, away from the spuds.  Pic shows cat after over indulgence, lol.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0477.JPG

• KennyP and Bmerf have said thanks