Garden Tractor Forums banner

Sears Custom Snowblower - Missing Engine Pulley

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Bmerf 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have all the other parts for the snowblower and tractor. I haven't been able to find the engine pulley. How safe would it be to make one? Are there alternative engine pulleys?

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Model Numbers:

143.566042 - Tecumseh 6HP HH60
917.99810 - 1966 Sears Custom 6

917.62608 - Snowblower

Wheel Wheelbarrow Tire Automotive tire Plant
Plant Font Gas Soil Tree
Door Wood Stairs Grey Font
Font Motor vehicle Gas Measuring instrument Auto part
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Wood Automotive wheel system
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Friggin WOW $124.99

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sears-Custom-ST-10-Tractor-Tecumseh-HH100-10hp-Engine-Pulley-for-Snow-Thrower-/201317147554?hash=item2edf6fe3a2

If I would of known they were that hard to find I would of kept a couple.

Maybe you could cut up an old Briggs pulley like one of these.I keep all the Keyed engine pulleys that I can find they come in really handy when you need to make an engine pulley.

Cut the big end off of a pulley then Tap the crank for a long bolt and weld a heavy washer to the end of the pulley sleeve.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Plant Green
Automotive tire Finger Grass Terrestrial animal Circle
Plant Wood Botany Grass Trunk

Attachments

#4 ·
Nice Custom!

I wish I could help with a source for the pulley. Having one, I could provide dimensions if needed.

Thanks for the close-ups of the belt cover; this is the only piece lacking from my setup. They may prove useful as I am contemplating making one. Could I trouble you for the sizes of the "box" area holding belt retainer?

:hijacked: And the search goes on: http://gardentractortalk.com/forums/topic/48414-sears-custom-snow-blower-pulley-cover/

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Nice Custom!

I wish I could help with a source for the pulley. Having one, I could provide dimensions if needed.

Thanks for the close-ups of the belt cover; this is the only piece lacking from my setup. They may prove useful as I am contemplating making one. Could I trouble you for the sizes of the "box" area holding belt retainer?

:hijacked: And the search goes on: http://gardentractortalk.com/forums/topic/48414-sears-custom-snow-blower-pulley-cover/
Sure, no problem at all. Ill go measure it and post on your thread.

Friggin WOW $124.99

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sears-Custom-ST-10-Tractor-Tecumseh-HH100-10hp-Engine-Pulley-for-Snow-Thrower-/201317147554?hash=item2edf6fe3a2

If I would of known they were that hard to find I would of kept a couple.

Maybe you could cut up an old Briggs pulley like one of these.I keep all the Keyed engine pulleys that I can find they come in really handy when you need to make an engine pulley.

Cut the big end off of a pulley then Tap the crank for a long bolt and weld a heavy washer to the end of the pulley sleeve.

attachicon.gif
100_1473.JPG
attachicon.gif
100_1474.JPG
attachicon.gif
100_1475.JPG
Yea, I did the same many years ago. Had a handful of them and threw them out. I could do this. I have no problem with cutting up a briggs pulley. They're easier to find but I'm not sure about tapping the crank. Ill have to draw up a picture of what i'd like to make.

EDIT: I was able to find calipers and get a measurement of the crank shaft.

1" OD
1/4 ID

What I don't understand is how the pulley attachment holds onto the crank. The crank has no threads for a bolt. Do I remove the current pulley and then slide on the pulley for the snowblower?

#10 ·
Here they are:

attachicon.gif
IMG_1290.JPG

attachicon.gif
IMG_1291.JPG

attachicon.gif
IMG_1284.JPG

attachicon.gif
IMG_1280.JPG

My bore is 1 1/8 inches (10 hp) Set screw location is: one on the key, other 90* away. It may be possible to take the original pulley and weld the extension pulley to it.
Awesome. Thank you. Now knowing what it looks like, Ill just get a replica pulley for the main drive and the snowblower and weld both of them onto a pipe. then drill and tap a couple threads for set screws.

#11 ·
I've read (have no actual experience yet) that the blower could stand to run a little faster. Maybe consider going to a 4 1/4 inch drive pulley for the blower? This would of course require the fabrication of a new slightly bigger belt retainer.

If I were to make this; try to start with a sleeve with the set screws and keyway machine into it. Add pulleys in the appropriate places.

Double pulley at the engine end is only to run both the drive belt and the deck belt, only necessary if not removing the pulley for summer duties.

Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.