18 replies to this topic

#16 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted September 26, 2015 - 01:44 PM

My opinion - if your just cutting a normal yard - not fields, not football field size "estates", not washboard style ruts and bumps in it, etc - pretty much anything new is good - WITH some qualifiers...

It should live INSIDE (garage, shed, out of the weather). Thin metal and poor paint rust out quick!

Do the maintenance religiously and don't skimp. Cheap mowers usually aren't worth the cost of fixing if you do break them..

No ethanol!

Winterize at the end of your season (in northern climates)

Don't expect it to last forever!

BUT if you take care of it, you may be surprised how long you can make it last! With good maintenance, most die from being used for something they are not designed for, or not being used enough...

Some folks take the attitude that you can buy 2-3 throw-away cheapies for the price of one "good" mower. And you get a "new" one every few years! Whatever works for you.....

I agree with what somebody aid before though... if it were me and JUST CUTING GRASS on reasonable property, I would go small home owner zero turn....
  • shorty said thank you

#17 Natureboy OFFLINE  

Natureboy
  • Member No: 49649
  • 73 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted September 27, 2015 - 08:22 PM

The old iron is great and gives a sense of accomplishment when you keep it running. Last year however, I got tired of mowing 3 1/2 acres with a 42" deck ( cant find a 48" or 60" to save your life around here), and getting bounced and jostled doing it with my Ariens S16H. Went to a Husqvarna dealer and bought a GT54LS. Lawn gets done real quick now, and my back appreciates the ride. Check out their models, just stay away from anything with the K46.

#18 kellerman88 OFFLINE  

kellerman88
  • Member No: 69470
  • 137 Thanks
  • 75 posts

Posted September 28, 2015 - 07:35 AM

Well I guess I owe you guys a little followup. 

I settled on a Husqvana YTH23V48. I checked around the Simplicity, John Deere, and Husqvana dealerships but really just couldn't make up my mind between them. So my Dad suggested we hit up this little Amish small engine shop and see if maybe he had anything interesting sitting around. He had the Husq sitting there for 1800, and agreed to toss in the bagger and front bumper for a grand total of 2000. 

At first I was hesitant because I know this tractor isn't going to be around forever. But I'm going to sock the money away so that way if the good ole AMF needs any parts I got the budget to do it. 

I appreciate all the thoughts and ideas. This is easily one of the most helpful websites I've ever been on. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Husk.jpg

#19 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted October 01, 2015 - 08:07 PM

New to me means I never previously owned a particular machine before//"new to me" not "fresh off the showroom floor"