18 replies to this topic

#1 kellerman88 OFFLINE  

kellerman88
  • Member No: 69470
  • 137 Thanks
  • 75 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 11:27 AM

Hello all!

So, over the course of the last few weeks my Cub 1430 has started leaking trans fluid. Then the front axle fell off my dads GT275. I have an AMF that runs pretty well, but with the current string of luck it's probably going to grow wings and fly away or something. While all these problems are fixable, it's made me kinda start thinking about an actual new tractor instead of old ones that I get the "joy" of fixing up

So my question to you all is this; With a budget of around 2500 (believe it or not I've been saving for this) what tractor would you go out and buy? Ideally it would have a bagger, but if it doesn't that's ok. 

(If I posted this in the wrong thread I apologize, feel free to move it as I wasn't sure where it would be right to go.)

• Dieselcubmike and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#2 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 11:33 AM

Well there's many different ways you can go about this. Me i prefer the older models simply because they're built stronger and parts are everywhere. Sure they're not fuel efficient but they keep on going. I dont own a "newer" tractor so my opinion doesn't really count. I mow with a 95? super cub with a fabricated 44inch deck off a 582 and it does a lousy job. 

• holdenboy1960 and kellerman88 have said thanks

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,927 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 11:45 AM

Is this just for cutting grass?
  • kellerman88 said thank you

#4 kellerman88 OFFLINE  

kellerman88
  • 137 Thanks
  • 75 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 11:47 AM

Is this just for cutting grass?

90% cutting grass. Wouldn't mind if it could do some leaf cleanup as well. 

#5 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 1,002 Thanks
  • 678 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 12:09 PM

I have always been partial to the husqvarna articulators but maybe that's because anything that bends in the middle is just great! Back to the point, I know people have their criticisms but they cut great and the company still believes in service, at least that's been my experience.
  • Dieselcubmike, holdenboy1960 and kellerman88 have said thanks

#6 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 02:11 PM

I went through this recently...I love the old iron, and have always stick with it.  Then, I had some bigger chores that made me question abusing the snot out of a 45  year old tractor and very hard to find loader.  Where I'm going, is that I was talked into a 'newer' tractor for that work.  Once the door was open, and I realized that there are still well built machines, by company's that seem to be proud of their product, I went further and ended up with a 'newer' mower.  All I use it for is mowing and bagging.  

I gotta tell ya...it gives the cut and reliability of my oldies, yet it has soooo many improvements.  Sharper turning, better differential control/traction, power steering, power to run a turbo vac, comfortable controls and seating etc.  I don't care for the looks, but most of what looks like plastic is actually painted steel.  It's a well built rig with serviceable tranny.

I bought a Simplicity Prestige...it's a used 2005 with 400 hours and a new engine (owner ran her dry), and was in the neighborhood of $6-7K when new.  I gave $1600.  I sold the tiller setup that came with it, bought a bagger/vac from craigslist, and have about $700 into this tractor.  I cut 1/3 of my mowing time off with the same size deck, IF I TRY!  (I like to take my time....)

Bottom line, $2500 will buy you one hell of a 'newer' mower, with little shopping effort.  

This one drives me nuts....

http://desmoines.cra...5188494984.html

#7 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 02:43 PM

Nothing but mowing and a little bit of leaf cleanup even though I'm a Cub guy I would buy a new Simplicity.

Edited by IHCubGuy, September 22, 2015 - 02:43 PM.

#8 kellerman88 OFFLINE  

kellerman88
  • 137 Thanks
  • 75 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 02:59 PM

Truth be told I hadn't considered Simplicity. The closest dealer to me is about an hour away, but some of the shops around here might have a nice used option available. (and of course craigslist)

I'm in the same boat of would like something I can beat on and not be upset when it breaks. 

• holdenboy1960 said thank you

#9 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,927 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 09:37 PM

In your price range, I hate to say it, but a used X300 series JD with a Kawasaki and a bagger could be had.

The Simp Josh linked above is unbelievable, that would be gone so fast around here at that price.

This is normal around here: http://minneapolis.c...5234669756.html

#10 kellerman88 OFFLINE  

kellerman88
  • 137 Thanks
  • 75 posts

Posted September 23, 2015 - 07:00 AM

In your price range, I hate to say it, but a used X300 series JD with a Kawasaki and a bagger could be had.

The Simp Josh linked above is unbelievable, that would be gone so fast around here at that price.

This is normal around here: http://minneapolis.c...5234669756.html

I was originally thinking JD. They obviously have a good rep and seem to making quality stuff. I've just never liked how anything green costs more just because it's green. No much in the way of X300's around here, unless you go 100% brand new. But it is a good machine to consider.

• holdenboy1960 said thank you

#11 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,737 Thanks
  • 1,733 posts

Posted September 23, 2015 - 07:57 AM

If your just looking for something to mow with a catcher, I would buy a zero turn. The older industrial type Hustler and Grasshopper's are pretty cheap around here. You could easily pick one up for $2500, Or I would try to find a used Kubota diesel mower, you can pick them up for $2500 all day here.

#12 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted September 23, 2015 - 10:06 AM

If I was looking for a NEW tractor/mower in that price range I'd be getting the Cub Cadet XT1 GT50.

http://www.cubcadet....actors/xt1/gt50

It has a decent engine, has a K58 hydro as opposed to the K46 in most entry level mowers and is rated for ground engaging equipment.  It even has a sleeve hitch available for it.

Probably the most bang for the buck of any of the lower end tractors.

ETA:

Although the XT1 GT50 is available at the box stores, I would never buy one from them.

Buy from a dealer.

Edited by OldBuzzard, September 23, 2015 - 10:41 AM.

• kellerman88 said thank you

#13 kellerman88 OFFLINE  

kellerman88
  • 137 Thanks
  • 75 posts

Posted September 23, 2015 - 11:43 AM

If I was looking for a NEW tractor/mower in that price range I'd be getting the Cub Cadet XT1 GT50.

http://www.cubcadet....actors/xt1/gt50

It has a decent engine, has a K58 hydro as opposed to the K46 in most entry level mowers and is rated for ground engaging equipment.  It even has a sleeve hitch available for it.

Probably the most bang for the buck of any of the lower end tractors.

ETA:

Although the XT1 GT50 is available at the box stores, I would never buy one from them.

Buy from a dealer.

I actually spent some time working in the big orange box store for awhile. It amazed me how many people would come back with a Cub/John/Ariens that had quit running after 2-3 years of use. 

#14 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,737 Thanks
  • 1,733 posts

Posted September 23, 2015 - 08:02 PM

I wouldn't give a "new" cub cadet to a monkey on a rock!.

We had one once, bought it with only 300hrs and it never did mow the lawn once. It just burned the blade belt up with in 10 minutes of mowing. My uncle worked for the state and they bought some brand new cub cadets to mow around their state buildings and they ended up junking them because they wouldn't mow. He said that they were always replacing belts because the belt tension system was so cheap and out of line.

We never had problems with the engine or hydro, just don't expect them to mow :pushmower:

#15 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 1,002 Thanks
  • 678 posts

Posted September 23, 2015 - 08:07 PM

When I lived in Hawaii while with the Navy we would often see small foot tall pens on people's lawns they contained some of the best lawn mowing machines known to man. All you need is some one by ones some chicken wire and a few nails! For that kinda money you can afford a lot of guinee pigs. You get cut and fertilized in the same pass! Better than the new junk built to today's standards and if your brave I am told they may even taste good!