• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted September 21, 2015 - 08:39 PM

I'm finding the winch on the log transporter tends to suck the life out of the regular battery (235 cca) on my Craftsman II 18hp B&S in a day or 2.

Will it harm anything to install the largest car battery that will fit?  Or even a deep cycle marine battery?

Have considered getting one of those battery maintainers as well. 

• Chopperhed said thank you

#2 wvbuzzmaster ONLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 21, 2015 - 08:42 PM

Won't hurt a thing, but you may want to add a car alternator to keep it charging that beastly battery.
  • WNYTractorTinkerer, Chopperhed and Phluphy have said thanks

#3 backyardtinker OFFLINE  

backyardtinker
  • Member No: 73578
  • 249 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted September 21, 2015 - 08:54 PM

Agreed. Not a problem to use a car battery. A charge maintainer battery charger might be helpful if the GT alternator can't keep up.

• Chopperhed and Phluphy have said thanks

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,485 posts

Posted September 21, 2015 - 09:10 PM

I always like to use the highest CCA rating I can fit in the area for the battery.  Most of the engine charging units won't keep up with the draw on frequent starts let along driving a winch.

• shorty, Chopperhed and Phluphy have said thanks

#5 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted September 21, 2015 - 09:33 PM

I have always been told dont jump a gt off a car battery it will kill the starter. A 600 cca battery will deliver double what a 300 will. That will kill the brushes and really heat up the starter
  • Phluphy said thank you

#6 Chopperhed ONLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted September 21, 2015 - 09:35 PM

Always run the biggest battery that will fit.

In my case even my little LT75 has a group 24 deep cycle gel cell between  the rear tires.

As mentioned earlier, the biggest issue is keeping it charged.

Any electrical accessory will only draw as much as it can.

That doesn't kill batteries. Or brushes.

Equipment failure comes from a lack of understanding and abuse.

Edited by Chopperhed, September 21, 2015 - 09:41 PM.

• wvbuzzmaster, shorty, boyscout862 and 7 others have said thanks

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,742 Thanks
  • 7,514 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 05:02 AM

When snowplowing, I need to stop every 20 to 30 minutes to let my battery charge up because the generator can't handle the lights, wiper, and electric defroster. I could put in a bigger battery but then I would have to put a battery charger on the tractor at the end of work. After several hours of fighting the snow, I fall asleep when I come in. The battery would overcharge. The break is good for me to warm up too. Good Luck, Rick
  • Phluphy said thank you

#8 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 05:51 AM

I have always been told dont jump a gt off a car battery it will kill the starter. A 600 cca battery will deliver double what a 300 will. That will kill the brushes and really heat up the starter

nope. if that starter only draws 150 amps off the GT battery it will only draw 150 with any battery you put in there. Just because there are 600 amps AVAILABLE, doesn't mean it's "putting out" anything.  It won't supply a bit more than what demand is put on the system at any given time.

What it WILL give you is more reserve capacity.

• Bmerf, LilysDad, Bill 76 and 2 others have said thanks

#9 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 05:52 AM

When snowplowing, I need to stop every 20 to 30 minutes to let my battery charge up because the generator can't handle the lights, wiper, and electric defroster. I could put in a bigger battery but then I would have to put a battery charger on the tractor at the end of work. After several hours of fighting the snow, I fall asleep when I come in. The battery would overcharge. The break is good for me to warm up too. Good Luck, Rick

not necessarily. Battery chargers work the same way, they taper off as the battery gains in charge,

• boyscout862 and Phluphy have said thanks

#10 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,433 Thanks
  • 947 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 05:56 AM

Put a small solar panel on tractor to maintain battery. You could stick it to hood or put it on the roof of cab you are building this week.  I have two batteries in my boat with a solar panel attached. I use lots of juice fishing.

Edited by Jazz, September 22, 2015 - 05:57 AM.

• Alc, boyscout862 and Phluphy have said thanks

#11 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,742 Thanks
  • 7,514 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 06:17 AM

In the winter we don't get as much solar as I would need. My house is passive solar heated so, I keep track of solar gain days. Storms seem to be coming in groups the last few years so, I have to make sure the tractor is ready to go again when I go into the house. I am a firm believer in "Be Prepared". The weak part of my system is the generator but I can live with it. To save time and money I have learned to live with occassional short comings of some of my equipment.

The battery overcharge happened to me again 3 months ago with my good 10 amp auto charger. It went down to less than 1/4 amp but still overcharged my deep cycle(for emergancies when the power goes out) when forgotten overnight. My wife sleeps with a CPAP breathing machine and the deepcyle will power it for her so, on the first of each month I draw it down abit then charge it up. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, September 22, 2015 - 06:18 AM.

• Alc and Phluphy have said thanks

#12 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 06:31 AM

Not sure about other older GT's but all my old 200 series Deere use a car battery and came that way from the factory and I'm assuming a lot of the other older GT's did as well. I'd look at going with the car battery as a nice upgrade over the factory setup.

• Alc, propane1 and Phluphy have said thanks

#13 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,447 Thanks
  • 3,355 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 06:31 AM

As stated, batteries provide, they don't force feed.

• wvbuzzmaster, pigsitter and Phluphy have said thanks

#14 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,476 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 07:06 AM

My winch on my Sears likes the battery too. I run a 350 amp in mine, does alright. Probably I have is it pulls so many amps, it heats up my regulator and fries it. I am on my 5th regulator in 3 yrs. plan to maybe add another battery for winch and I already have car alternator mount built and use it for a while.

• Alc and Phluphy have said thanks

#15 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,652 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 08:24 AM

There used to be a car battery that fit the box on a Wheel Horse(I forget the number) but they discontenued the number.

• Phluphy said thank you