19 replies to this topic

#16 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,144 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 07:07 AM

To many people do not wipe the zerk off before and after greasing it. Not wiping before pumps dirt in with the new grease and not wiping after makes a collection place for dirt.

• LilysDad and backyardtinker have said thanks

#17 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,600 Thanks
  • 7,656 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 07:29 AM

. . . and only apply enough for the fresh grease to appear. Having a lot of grease around a shaft is another place for dirt to collect and cause wear.

• MichaelBeck said thank you

#18 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 07:32 AM

Kind of related ,  we get our grease gun & ends at NAPA  ,  just yesterday I thought I had a plugged grease fitting on a 2012 truck w/20k  , just squirted out around the nipple  when squeezing the handle , grabbed another gun and yes it did was hard to get the grease in ( maybe because it was still so new ? ) fininished the grease job  then ordered an end for my gum  I bet I go through grease gun ends a couple of time a year

• Bruce Dorsi said thank you

#19 backyardtinker OFFLINE  

backyardtinker
  • Member No: 73578
  • 249 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 08:13 AM

Kind of related ,  we get our grease gun & ends at NAPA  ,  just yesterday I thought I had a plugged grease fitting on a 2012 truck w/20k  , just squirted out around the nipple  when squeezing the handle , grabbed another gun and yes it did was hard to get the grease in ( maybe because it was still so new ? ) fininished the grease job  then ordered an end for my gum  I bet I go through grease gun ends a couple of time a year

I have to change my coupler every month. Keep two new ones in the van at all times. Oh, and good point there cheifian about wiping the fittings down. Learned that one when I was a young guy, 25 years ago by a customer of all people,  when I worked at a small garage. Never forgot that lesson.

• Alc said thank you

#20 MichaelBeck OFFLINE  

MichaelBeck
  • Member No: 69804
  • 89 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted October 06, 2015 - 07:43 PM

Heat solved the problem, got excellent grease flow now

• Alc said thank you