Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

used mower for about 2 acres - Deere x300 vs Craftsman GT6000?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 TimTheWiner OFFLINE  

TimTheWiner
  • Member No: 75584
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted September 21, 2015 - 05:03 PM

I have done plenty of research so far on multiple forums and other sites. I need a riding mower that could potentially take light duty implements down the road, but most likely will only see mowing about 1 - 2 acres of yard. From most of my reading I have concluded that I don't really want most Lowes/Home Depot machines. I was looking at a few older Deere 212's, but they lacked the tight turning radius and some of the creature comforts of the newer models. With a $1k budget for a used machine and searching CL for many machines (including Simplicity and other brands as well), I arrived at either a 2006 Deere x300 with 535 hrs on the ticker. One thing that makes me nervous about this is that (although it was purchase from a Deere dealer) it still has the K46 transmission which I have not read great things about, but most of the issues seem to be with working it too hard or long or steep grades. Of course it has the Kawasaki motor and a 42" Edge deck with mulching kit. She is asking $1,200. The other machine is a 2013 Craftsman GT6000 with only 120 hrs. It has a G7 hydro which from what I hear is a solid tranny, however with an albeit powerful 26 hp engine, it is a Kohler Courage which I have not heard great things about. Everyone says takes "courage" to buy one, and the older Kohler Command are far superior. Any comments or suggestions? I lean towards the Deere as I have all Deere "stuff", including a nice 4x4 510c TLB for stumps and heavy duty work. Decisions decisions.........

• Alc said thank you

#2 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted September 21, 2015 - 06:31 PM

takes "courage" to buy one...but takes $$$ to keep up a deere..go with a older machine.

#3 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,293 Thanks
  • 2,329 posts

Posted September 21, 2015 - 06:47 PM

Haven't heard anything awefully bad about the Kohler Courage V-Twin engines.Other than the plastic cam gears but the Kawasaki engines also use them.The single cylinder Kohler Courage is complete garbage though.

The JD transaxle will go out long before the engine dies unless the cam gears let go.

The Craftsman will serve you well for mowing as long as you keep the deck clean between mowings and keep up with maintenance.JD does seem to use better quality steel in there decks.

If it was a choice between the Craftsman and the JD I would go for the Craftsman.

• Marty'70 said thank you

#4 Marty'70 OFFLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 729 Thanks
  • 632 posts

Posted September 21, 2015 - 07:01 PM

I agree with auburn David and Eric. Oh and BTW welcome!! Hope you stay a while and have fun.

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,144 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted September 21, 2015 - 07:26 PM

3 years ago I purchased a JD F525, which is the 3 wheel front deck 48" mower.  Only thing I have had to replace is the drive belt at $104 each.  Takes about one a year mowing 2+ acres.  This deck has a 10" off set to the left which real nice for trimming under bushes, trees with low branches, etc.  It is not a O turn but will cut next to a 8" tree in a full circle.  As for power it has the John Deer hydro and engine combination.  When you change oil in the engine you also change oil in the hydro.  I change oil and filter every 50 hours, or about twice a year.  This machine is a little rough riding so changed the seat to one with more spring to it.  Traction on a back when turning is also a problem,  Straight up and down back is not a problem.  It does have a traction assist pedal that transfers the deck weight to the drive wheels which helps a lot. If you have a lot of bushes and trees to mow around I wold highly recommend this mower.  I paid $1400 for mine 3 years ago so it should be in your price range, especially this time of the mowing season.  Good luck.

• Alc said thank you

#6 Tim Bergfeld OFFLINE  

Tim Bergfeld
  • Member No: 60783
  • 218 Thanks
  • 449 posts

Posted September 21, 2015 - 07:33 PM

Get an older simplicity,deere,wheelhorse,cub,they all have decent motors and take implements and are easy on the pocket book my favorite is simplicity easy to work on and Briggs are cheap to fix I have a wheelhorse with an Onan I am using now good mower

#7 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 10:03 PM

With 500+hrs on the JD I would walk away unless your prepared to replace the tranny, and I have an X300R.  With those hours its not if, its when the tranny will go.  I prefer a newer "mower" just easier and faster than the 40+ yr old Wheelhorse for grass cutting.  JD cuts the grass and the WH will have to fall into a zillion irreplaceable pieces before it gets replaced with a "comparable" JD for the heavier work.  Even then I think I would look for a 20+yr old WH,, yes now that it been brought up a nice 3,4 or 500 series with the Eaton 1100 and hyd lift and the foot hydro control would displace the JD in a heartbeat.

#8 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted September 23, 2015 - 12:45 AM

Of the two, I'd go with the Craftsman.  I don't know about either one, but after reading what others have said, I think the transmission sounds stoughter on the Craftsman than the Deere.  I'd say the engines are about even.  If it was a JD 500, that would be different.

Let us know which one you get.  Around a thousand for the Craftsman would be a really good deal around here.  Is there any issue with it?

#9 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 08:42 AM

I have the GT6000.  I mow 3 acres, have used it for 5 years.  It has been a solid tractor and I have very little complaints.  When mowing tight around small trees, the front tires will dig into the soil leaving rings around them.  I suspect most tight turning GTs will.  The eng. will sometimes spit and sputter when mowing sideways on hills that i probably should not be on.  I have the 3-bin bagger on it, love it.  Works as it should, picks up grass/leaves nicely but as most baggers, it can get dusty.  I also have the lift for the back for ground engaging attachments.  I had planed on getting some attachments for it but ended up getting a 4X4 Kubota with loader and 3-point tiller.  I would not hesitate to use ground engaging attachments with it, it has plenty of power and traction, tranny is solid.  The deck, keep it cleaned out.  It comes with hose attachment for cleaning making it easy.  Mow when wet and you will be removing it/cleaning in more often but it detaches fairly easy/quick.  I go through sometimes 2 sets (of 3) blades a year on it, but my soil is very sandy/rocky so I expect the replacements.  My yard is more like a gravel pit with grass, makes for some missile throwing at times.  If it were not for the hills on my place, I would have gotten a zero turn.

Between the 2 you mentioned, the Craftsman hands down.  The weed green, u will pay a premium for parts just because of the paint color.

• Alc said thank you

#10 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 03:19 PM

Just my opinion, not trying to start an arguement, but between the 2, I'd go with the Craftsman. I've worked on alot of different tractors, and for some reason every John Deere I touched or  fixed I'm always finding myself staring at the thing thinking "Man this thing is stupid, whoever thought of this setup should be shot!" LOL! I'm not sure how people can love those tractors? But I guess everyone has there Brand they like and collect, so thats fine with me.  Also all JD parts seem to cost crazy money, My mother inlaw needed a seat spring for her 425. It cost her $35 for one!?!? The deck belt or any belt for that matter are usually crazy money, like $80 to $120 each or something she told me. I think you will have more luck finding craftsman attachments too when the time comes. JD attachments seem to be rare for newer units, and often cost big bucks too. The only thing that might hurt you is resale value. Because it says JD, in 5 or 10 years it will hold some value, Craftsman tend to depreciate to a couple hundred dollar or $500 machine. Good luck with whatever choice you make!  

#11 javjacob OFFLINE  

javjacob
  • Member No: 73130
  • 37 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted October 03, 2015 - 11:54 AM

You are comparing 2 completely different machines.

The X300 is a lawn tractor with the wimpy K46 transaxle which is the same as what the D160 and D170 sold at Home Depot have. K46's won't even hold up mowing up inclines and dragging anything behind it down a road will make very short work of it. The K46 is referred to as the paper weight and boat anchor for a reason. 

The GT6000 is a garden tractor and will handle the tasks you mentioned. Though I have heard it takes courage to own a Kohler Courage.

#12 javjacob OFFLINE  

javjacob
  • Member No: 73130
  • 37 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted October 03, 2015 - 12:13 PM

Just my opinion, not trying to start an arguement, but between the 2, I'd go with the Craftsman. I've worked on alot of different tractors, and for some reason every John Deere I touched or  fixed I'm always finding myself staring at the thing thinking "Man this thing is stupid, whoever thought of this setup should be shot!" LOL! I'm not sure how people can love those tractors? But I guess everyone has there Brand they like and collect, so thats fine with me.  Also all JD parts seem to cost crazy money, My mother inlaw needed a seat spring for her 425. It cost her $35 for one!?!? The deck belt or any belt for that matter are usually crazy money, like $80 to $120 each or something she told me. I think you will have more luck finding craftsman attachments too when the time comes. JD attachments seem to be rare for newer units, and often cost big bucks too. The only thing that might hurt you is resale value. Because it says JD, in 5 or 10 years it will hold some value, Craftsman tend to depreciate to a couple hundred dollar or $500 machine. Good luck with whatever choice you make!  

I agree with some of what you say to a point. JD is very proud of their stuff and parts are more expensive. All the belts on my 345 range from $35 to $55 but if you compare them to a Craftsman belt at the Sears store you can see the quality difference but I still agree they are high. To get into a good new JD with real quality you have to step up to the Garden tractors which start out at about $6,000. JD lawn tractors are just cheaply made with green paint and John Deere stickers on it with a higher price tag. I don't think I could ever buy a new JD... I bought mine used. I'm not brand loyal at all and honestly I don't understand it. I buy whatever is the best quality and capability that is still reasonably priced. Craftsman especially the newer ones have a lot of very cheaply made parts on them but parts are very affordable.

I would take the GT6000 over the X300 any day though.  

#13 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,723 Thanks
  • 1,723 posts

Posted October 03, 2015 - 10:06 PM

I would go with something older, for a $1000 you can get a bigger old garden tractor, I have a Bolens HT23 and love it, it's fast and has more then enough power.
I have never had good luck with any newer mower and anything that has plastic gears just sounds like a bad idea.

Between the 2 mowers you were talking about I would go with the Craftsman, the Deere looks really cheap to me.

Good luck and :welcometogttalk:

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,254 Thanks
  • 28,603 posts

Posted October 03, 2015 - 10:15 PM

We have mowed 5-6 acres every week for decades with Sears mowers.
Since 04 with a comparable unit to what you're looking at.
The G7 is great, some had a bad charge pump cover. Look for oil on the bottom around the plate. About a 50 to fix.
Speaking of $, the tranny is due for filter and oil change.
The Sears manual says no, but Hydro Gear says yes
I believe pg 13
http://www.hydro-gea...ln-52864_p5.pdf