• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kwfiggatt OFFLINE  

kwfiggatt

• Member No: 4448
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted September 21, 2015 - 03:54 PM

Has anyone swapped a 3 cyl in place of the z430 on the G4200H? 

I have a G4200H whose engine seems to need rebuilding, as it is hard to start and hits on only one cylinder for quite a while until the other one starts firing.  I've checked the obvious stuff and it appears to have lots of blowby, so I'm thinking it needs a bore job.

As it would be nice to have a little more HP, I'm thinking about swapping in a D662.  Any idea what needs to change for the 3 cylinder to fit?

Thanks,

Kevin

#2 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted September 21, 2015 - 06:50 PM

I put a 4 cylinder  ( 3 cylinder) 21hp. in my G4200 so it would have sufficient power for the snowblower. 

The smaller 3 cylinder should not be a problem as the G5200 and G6200 came with 3 cylinder diesels and the chassis is the same as yours as far as I know. 

I have a good Z430 setting here on a skid if your interested. It is my take out.

Edited by Cvans, September 24, 2015 - 06:34 PM.

#3 kwfiggatt OFFLINE  

kwfiggatt

• Member No: 4448
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 11:16 AM

I put a 4 cylinder 21hp. in my G4200 so it would have sufficient power for the snowblower. 

The 3 cylinder should not be a problem as the G5200 and G6200 came with 3 cylinder diesels and the chassis is the same as yours as far as I know. 

I have a good Z430 setting here on a skid if your interested. It is my take out.

Thanks for the reply.  Do you still have a mower deck on your g4200?  How did the 4 cylinder fit in your mower?  Did you have to do a bunch of mods to make it fit?  IIRC, you have a front end loader on your G4200, don't you?  That ought to make things more interesting. 

I know that the engine mounts are different between the 2 and 3 cyl, but that's a little parts scrounging / fab work, which is no problem.  I guess the only other real differences could be the driveshaft length between the engine and hydro, along with the length of the engine causing differences at the front of the engine where the PTO pulleys are located.  Now that I think about it, I guess the front of the engine (flywheel end) has to pretty much remain in the same location, as the PTO belt tensioner wouldn't work if it was in a different location.  It just looks like there is too much room in front of the z430 to not use it for the 3 cylinder, compared to the rear end where everything is pretty compact against the radiator.

I guess I need some good pics of the engine in a G5200 / G6200.  Thanks for the offer of the z430 - but if I'm gonna replace the engine, I'm thinking that I'll put the 3 cylinder in it.  There's a D662 about 3 hours away for a good price that I think I'm going to snag.

Kevin

#4 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 12:53 PM

I did have a loader on it but learned real quick that the axles were not up to the task. Two broken in a short time. I did have to lengthen the frame 6" for the larger 3 cylinder. Luckily I did have another frame to use. 

Your choice of the D662 should be a good one. You will need to keep the radiator clean as cooling was not a problem on the 2 cylinders but can be an issue on the 3 cylinder tractors. 

Yes I have two decks here I think. They have both been worked on as rust is a real problem with these decks. 

I purchased a G3200 for parts and it came with a 48" snow blower. It had hardly been used as the poor little 10 hp. engine just didn't have what it takes to spin it. The 12 hp. in the G4200 couldn't pull it either and that's why the bigger engine. I would have preferred something in the 16 to 18 hp. range but the D905 came along at a giveaway price and the rest is history. Going to have to double up the belts on the blower as this engine will snap the single belt like nothing.

Edited by Cvans, September 24, 2015 - 06:36 PM.

#5 mrmr56 OFFLINE  

mrmr56
  • Member No: 62092
  • 202 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 01:30 PM

Chris, what kind of D905 do you have that is a 4 cylinder? That is a new one on me. Thank for the enlightenment. Charles

#6 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 06:27 PM

Your right Charles and it's really really hard to smile with my foot in my mouth. The D905 is a 3 cylinder.  :hitting_self_roller:

I have too many small diesels around here and am loosing track of what's what. 

I'm going back and edit that post. Thanks for keeping me honest!

If you click on the photo it's easy to see that it is in fact a 3 cylinder.

IMG_0519.JPG

Edited by Cvans, September 24, 2015 - 06:28 PM.

#7 mrmr56 OFFLINE  

mrmr56
  • Member No: 62092
  • 202 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 06:56 PM

LOL::: I wasn't trying to be horsey. I figured it would come to you shortly. Have a great day.

• Cvans said thank you