• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kej OFFLINE  

kej
  • Member No: 75558
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted September 20, 2015 - 07:11 PM

I bought a this used tractor about 6 months ago. It ran great for 3 months.  It slowly started rattling some.  It got a little louder but nothing I was too concerned with.  One night when I was mowing, the engine came to an immediate stop with a big bang.  The engine seemed locked up.  I had a small engine repair shop look at it and they said the engine needed be replaced.  I did NOT have them replace it. When they dropped it off I turned the key and it started right up.  It starts and runs without a problem. Cuts grass fine but still has that rattle and I'm afraid its something worse. I haven't run it for more than 5 minutes since I got it back from the repair shop.  It still has the rattle but of course I'm skeptical and I started to get my hands dirty. The compression on the engine seems fine dry and wet both held at 80psi.  One last note, that the battery has not charged off the engine since I got it.  I just pull the battery every month or so and charge it.  I pulled the fly wheel off and it everything seems ok with it and under it.  The stator is dirty but is not loose at all.   The rattle does come and go a little.  It also seems to be there at different RPMs.

Anyone have any ideas? 

Here is a video of it running as I move the throttle up and down: http://1drv.ms/1V46xTX

Thanks!

Kevin

#2 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,939 Thanks
  • 3,320 posts

Posted September 20, 2015 - 08:07 PM

Hard to tell from the video, but you said it locked up tight at one point in time. I am wondering if a magnet came loose under the flywheel?

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted September 21, 2015 - 07:52 AM

That would be my first guess

#4 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,297 Thanks
  • 4,656 posts

Posted September 21, 2015 - 08:00 AM

I would tear into it immediately!  Do not wait for a catastrophic failure or the $$$ goes up fast!  Pop the flywheel and if all is OK there then pull the head and evaluate the valves and piston/cylinder..  look for piston slop or rocking in the bore..  80# is a low for a Kaw but I'm not 100% sure on that..  Perhaps someone else is..  (My FD620 is min 190#)..  Just a few thoughts on a Monday for ya..

#5 kej OFFLINE  

kej
  • Member No: 75558
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 09:15 PM

Thanks for all the feedback.

I pulled the flywheel.  Everything under it looks secure and in decent working order.

The manual for the engine says anything over 55psi compression is good.

https://www.scribd.c...e-Manual#scribd

I've never pull an engine apart but might make a project out of it.  I'll let ya know how far I get.​

-Kevin​

#6 truck21 OFFLINE  

truck21

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2813
  • 431 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 06:43 PM

Did you check the mower clutch, my wife has a 112L and the clutch made a heck of a racket. She doesn't have a mower deck so I took it off and it is much quieter now.

Don

#7 skifoof OFFLINE  

skifoof
  • Member No: 52872
  • 53 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted December 25, 2015 - 09:16 AM

to bad your so far away cause I have 3 of these engines I would sell cheap.