Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Got a question for the Farmall savy

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted September 20, 2015 - 05:54 PM

I may be taking delivery of the Farmall BN that elonged to my grandfather.  This probably wont happen till next spring but it could be sooner.  Thistractor has been used by my brother for the past 30 years or better but has sat for the last several years.  Giving what he is going through at the moment, he has decided that I should have it, figuring I may be able to work on it a little and eventually bring it back to its original glory.  Nothing would please me more.  I asked him what it needed and he said it seems to have a governor problem.  You can rev the engine but you can't bring it back down,  It just runs faster and faster.  That's all I got as he's still pretty weak.  What am I possibly looking at here?

I don't think this tractor has an ounce of paint left on it but it has never sat outside so its good and solid.  If I could get it right mechanically, I wouldn't mind finding someone to paint it once I could afford to do so.  I'm not set up to work on anything this size.  I have such good memories of riding on this tractor when I was small so, like the Pond, I want to keep it around.  Not sure what I'll ever do with it other than take it for a drive now and then but, that's enough, isn't it?

• jpackard56, LilysDad, propane1 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,104 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted September 20, 2015 - 07:09 PM

Check all linkage connected to the govenor and throttle. Make sure they are a free and move easly, are connected in all points. My ferguson tractor had stuck weights in the govenor. I put transmission fluid in with the engine oil and that cleansed out the dirt and the govenor started to work. And has been getting better since. Noel

Great to have the tractor with the memories. Drive when you feel the need.

Edited by propane1, September 20, 2015 - 07:11 PM.

• Alc and David Brown have said thanks

#3 Marty'70 ONLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 729 Thanks
  • 632 posts

Posted September 20, 2015 - 08:25 PM

Great to have the tractor with the memories. Drive when you feel the need.

Just the memories are priceless sometimes!
  • David Brown and propane1 have said thanks

#4 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 494 Thanks
  • 315 posts

Posted September 20, 2015 - 08:43 PM

Sounds like the external linkage on the govenor is stuck.  That happens on a lot of them that I see at work.  It's just a cast iron arm on a steel peg.  Or there's a couple springs inside that could be broken, but that usually makes the engine hunt while its running.  Hope this helps.             Stewart

• David Brown and Marty'70 have said thanks

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,243 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted September 20, 2015 - 10:34 PM

It's the one for the cub,but similar
I would expect a flyweight off or the collar/arm junction worn and sliding past each other

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• David Brown said thank you

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 21, 2015 - 08:01 AM

I may be taking delivery of the Farmall BN that elonged to my grandfather. This probably wont happen till next spring but it could be sooner. Thistractor has been used by my brother for the past 30 years or better but has sat for the last several years. Giving what he is going through at the moment, he has decided that I should have it, figuring I may be able to work on it a little and eventually bring it back to its original glory. Nothing would please me more. I asked him what it needed and he said it seems to have a governor problem. You can rev the engine but you can't bring it back down, It just runs faster and faster. That's all I got as he's still pretty weak. What am I possibly looking at here?

I don't think this tractor has an ounce of paint left on it but it has never sat outside so its good and solid. If I could get it right mechanically, I wouldn't mind finding someone to paint it once I could afford to do so. I'm not set up to work on anything this size. I have such good memories of riding on this tractor when I was small so, like the Pond, I want to keep it around. Not sure what I'll ever do with it other than take it for a drive now and then but, that's enough, isn't it?

Yeah that is enough! It is riding the fender of an Allis Chalmers C, with my uncle cultivating corn when I was about 6 that has me wanting one. Of course, I have visions of a woods belly mower to mow my lawn.

Edited by JD DANNELS, September 21, 2015 - 08:02 AM.

#7 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted September 21, 2015 - 08:32 AM

Yeah that is enough! It is riding the fender of an Allis Chalmers C, with my uncle cultivating corn when I was about 6 that has me wanting one. Of course, I have visions of a woods belly mower to mow my lawn.

My granddad only had about 5 acres just a mile down the road from us but he ran it like a farm complete with a corn crib and fruit trees.  It was a great place to be as a young boy.  He planted a lot of potatoes and had the potato digger for behind the tractor.  That's mainly when I got to sit on the axle housing of the tractor.  Digging potatoes was a family affair.  Everyone pitched in and we had them done in no time which was kind of sad for me.

Going over to my brothers tonight to do some work and take measurements of the tractor to see if it will fit into any of my buildings.  Yes, I'll get some pictures but I know there is a lot of stuff around it so I'll do what I can.  I'm excited because I already own three of dads tractors but just one of grandpas would be very special.  I'll never find his F12 and his Bantam is long gone in pieces so this is it!

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,243 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted September 21, 2015 - 11:49 AM

My kids never met their Great Grandpa, but they have his tractor. It hasn't hit Kaylen yet but I think it has Ryan what that means.
  • KennyP and David Brown have said thanks

#9 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted September 21, 2015 - 12:13 PM

My kids never met their Great Grandpa, but they have his tractor. It hasn't hit Kaylen yet but I think it has Ryan what that means.

Funny how much impact something like an old tractor can have on a family.

#10 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted September 21, 2015 - 09:48 PM

Here are a few pics of the old BN.  It doesn't get more "barn fresh" that this my friends.

BN 1.JPG BN 2.JPG BN 3.JPG

• KennyP said thank you

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,243 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 06:49 AM

I think it will take you 2-3 days to get it out :D
Grandpa ground his own grain, didnt he?

The BN looks like there is a lot of potential there. They're nice tractors to cultivate with because of the offset.

#12 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 07:34 AM

I think it will take you 2-3 days to get it out :D
Grandpa ground his own grain, didnt he?

The BN looks like there is a lot of potential there. They're nice tractors to cultivate with because of the offset.

The pics were taken last night at my brothers place.  I was over there trying to get some wood brought in and other stuff that needs done.  He does a lot of his own grinding and stuff.  One of the calves knocked over the water tank that he set up for watering the garden and animals.  Good thing it was almost empty and it was that particular day because I knew how to run the high lift and get it set back up.

I wanted to take some measurements to make sure this thing would fit into one of my shelters.  I think it will go just about anywhere so we're good there.  All I have to do is get someone to haul it.  My trailer is too light for this one.  I really can't use it, but I really want it.  I'm thinking hay rides eventually.  Technically I could use it for tractor cruises and it just hits the required 10 MPH.

• MH81 said thank you