• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MGP59DB ONLINE  

MGP59DB
  • Member No: 66960
  • 988 Thanks
  • 505 posts

Posted September 20, 2015 - 10:39 AM

:smilewink:  Can anyone tell me the make and model of this antique mower?

Sicle.jpg

I can't seem to get it started?

Just kidding - My Uncle handed this to me yesterday while we were working on our DBs . He tells me

" This belonged to your Great Grandfather James J. , he used to use it in his gardens back in the 1920s "

I was looking at one of these blades at the tractor show last week and he said he had one of those he could give me.  

I didn't know it was a 100 year old family heirloom . With all the handles intact .

• Gtractor, Alc, wvbuzzmaster and 3 others have said thanks

#2 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted September 20, 2015 - 11:03 AM

Reaper model 666.
  • Gtractor, wvbuzzmaster, Lauber1 and 4 others have said thanks

#3 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,867 Thanks
  • 2,789 posts

Posted September 20, 2015 - 11:10 AM

Hahahahahah

• classic and MGP59DB have said thanks

#4 MGP59DB ONLINE  

MGP59DB
  • 988 Thanks
  • 505 posts

Posted September 20, 2015 - 11:25 AM

Reaper model 666.

LOL - That's a good one !!

• classic said thank you

#5 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted September 20, 2015 - 11:38 AM

When I was a kid, there was an old farmer up the road that would cut a hay field with one of those. He looked like he stepped out of the 1930's. He wore pants that looked WW1 vintage, real baggy at the knees. His old leather boots were tall and laced up to just below his knee caps. He wore an oil stained tight fitting ball cap with a long brim and always wore a plan flannel shirt. He had no running water or electricity and drove an early 50's Studebaker pickup. My Grandfather gave him the truck in the 60's. Anyway the old farmer had a 29 Chevy doodle bug with a shortened frame, a wooden seat, and just the cowl was left as far as body parts go. He would take it down to the hay field and load up his wagon with the hay he cut with the sythe. There was no valve cover on the engine, and he would stop once in a while and squirt oil on the rocker arms since the oil pump was shot. I still remember hiding in the woods with other kids from the neighborhood when we heard him coming. We would run up behind the wagon, jump on, and get a hay ride. I remember talking with old Earl as I grew older and wasn't afraid of him, HA! Every time I see a sythe, I think of Earl and the hay rides.

Edited by classic, September 20, 2015 - 11:40 AM.

• Alc, KennyP, HANKG and 1 other said thanks

#6 MGP59DB ONLINE  

MGP59DB
  • 988 Thanks
  • 505 posts

Posted September 20, 2015 - 02:57 PM

That's a great story Classic !! I was on the phone with my uncle today to tell him his sediment bowl arrived . I mentioned to him that I found out the 'Make and model'

of that . He laughed . He then told me a great story of how he was about 10 years old (65 years ago) and was playing with this cutting cattails to make a fishing path to the river , could barely swing it around , then my GGF came up and handed him a hand sickle . he was able to do that a bit better. He says he still has that tool somewhere and will try to find it as well. I started collecting old farm tools just as a novelty to hang on my garage. I had a vender at the South Haven Mich . Flywheeler show , ( the guy I got the DB cultivator and BTplow from) give me an old rusty meat-hook , it came with a story that he plowed it up out of the cornfield one day . I was telling him how I just like oddball things like this and he reached over and plucked it out of a pile and gave it to me. It hangs here now . :D

001 (3).JPG

I turned an old ugly garage into my work shop , With a 'rustic' theme. :smilewink:

Edited by MGP59DB, September 20, 2015 - 03:27 PM.

• Alc, KennyP, HANKG and 1 other said thanks

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,377 Thanks
  • 39,645 posts

Posted September 20, 2015 - 03:18 PM

Might put a new battery in it and clean the fuel system! Cool old tool! No telling how many acres that has cleared!

#8 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted September 21, 2015 - 07:30 AM

I have two of them, one has a broken handle though. I guess that's why dad bought the new one in the 80's. It has an aluminum, handle. He used to cut an acre field with it every summer. I still use it from time to time.

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 21, 2015 - 08:09 AM

:smilewink:  Can anyone tell me the make and model of this antique mower?
attachicon.gifSicle.jpg
I can't seem to get it started?
Just kidding - My Uncle handed this to me yesterday while we were working on our DBs . He tells me
" This belonged to your Great Grandfather James J. , he used to use it in his gardens back in the 1920s "
I was looking at one of these blades at the tractor show last week and he said he had one of those he could give me.  
I didn't know it was a 100 year old family heirloom . With all the handles intact .

My brothers and I broke the handles out of a few of those. Dad seemed to think running those on a hot humid August day would keep teenage boys from getting into mischief?