• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • Member No: 49650
  • 442 Thanks
  • 251 posts

Posted September 20, 2015 - 10:23 AM

On my Pavement Princess 06 chevy 1500hd . It has extendable power mirrors.  The power adjust on the passenger side has stopped working.  I was looking at it last night.  I was hoping I could get to the motor behind the mirror to do some testing. 1st thing I will do is take door pannel off so I can get to wiring harness.  Hoping there is  a connection so I can see if power is getting to the mirror.  If there is power how do you get behind the mirror?

#2 wep OFFLINE  

wep
  • Member No: 69972
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted September 20, 2015 - 11:09 AM

Some power mirrors the class comes off for so you can replace it but the motors are all sealed in a single housing. I have been in auto body for 25 years and have not heard of any way to test other than try different switch first.

• Alberta Bolens said thank you

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,745 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted September 20, 2015 - 11:14 AM

Ceck with www.RockAuto.com for the prices and parts available. The pics of the parts have often helped me figure out how to disassemble a component. Good Luck, Rick

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted September 20, 2015 - 11:29 AM

I would bet it is not the mirror but the control panel with the switches for everything on the drivers door.  My '04 quit adjusting the passenger mirror and would not fold the drivers mirror.  Replaced that switch panel (It is one unit) and it took care of the problem.  Now I cannot lock the rear doors with the drivers door switch or the remote, which is tied back through that board on the drivers door.  Unlock but not lock.  Need to replace that switch panel again.  Put a used one on 2 years ago and will probably go that route again.  Cannot replace individual switches.  Have to replace the entire panel.  Pretty simple task to do that.

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted September 20, 2015 - 11:32 AM

Think those will be an "assembly" for the whole mirror in most places. No parts.  Aftermarket places say on epay or other sources might have new ones for lots cheaper than GM would want.  Far as getting to it, usually inside trip comes off and there are three or four allen bolts thru outer door tin to remove the mirror. I'm sure harness is in the door, but again the panel needs to come off to see any of that. Time to trade in when the mirrors quit working, heh!

#6 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,639 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted September 20, 2015 - 02:53 PM

I agree with WEP , I have never seen one with any serviceable parts inside and I also agree with Chieffan that the problem is with the switch . There easy to replace . Good luck with it. 

#7 Littledeere OFFLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted September 20, 2015 - 03:30 PM

I would bet it is not the mirror but the control panel with the switches for everything on the drivers door.  My '04 quit adjusting the passenger mirror and would not fold the drivers mirror.  Replaced that switch panel (It is one unit) and it took care of the problem.  Now I cannot lock the rear doors with the drivers door switch or the remote, which is tied back through that board on the drivers door.  Unlock but not lock.  Need to replace that switch panel again.  Put a used one on 2 years ago and will probably go that route again.  Cannot replace individual switches.  Have to replace the entire panel.  Pretty simple task to do that.

I would bet that Chieffan has the answer here, look and see if the light is on for the mirrors to go out. Mine has gotten so I have to hold down the switch for which side I'm using for the mirror to work

#8 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • Member No: 49650
  • 442 Thanks
  • 251 posts

Posted September 20, 2015 - 05:09 PM

I did some testing and cursing.  

The switches are working, as I get power to the connection on the passenger door.  The harness from the switch looks fine so I am guessing its the motor or connection behind the mirror.  From what I see its kind of open behind the mirror.  Water and dirt, road spray can get up in there.  The signal light still works once its cooler I be able to see if the mirror heater is working.

I guess I'll use my up dated version..Push it out Kim, oh to far now up a bit.  Not so much.  What do you mean you don't know what a bit is.  Not so far!!  Now I can't see a thing!! 

• toomanytoys84 said thank you