Garden Tractor Forums banner

my new Bolens G-9

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  thom 
#1 ·
I had spotted a Bolens G-9 sitting in someones yard a few miles from my house several weeks ago. I had been unable to get anyone to answer the door bell , trying several times. Finally , yesterday when I tried again, a visitor pulled in as I was leaving. I told him what I was doing in the driveway, and he said the mower belonged to his father-in-law who lived about half a mile down the road. Turns out father-in -law is my wife's cousin. I was able to buy the Bolens from him. I paid $50 . They thought the 8HP Briggs engine was stuck. The belts were stuck in the pulleys. Once I removed the belts the engine turned fine. After I cleaned the points it now has spark. The carb and air cleaner are missing. Cuz did not realize they were not on the engine, but says they may be "laid up" at his house. I will look for them when I go to get the tiller, plows, and blade that wa sinclude in the deal. Pictures will be posted soon.

#5 ·
View attachment 169127

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

My Bolens G9 as found, after I removed the deck to haul it. I have a few issues to deal with on it . The intake elbow , carb and air cleaner are missing. The previous owner may have them. I'll find out tomorrow. The "freewheeling pin " is stuck in the locked position. The machine is very difficult to move, as is. I have it soaking with PB Blaster. The threads in the spark plug hole don't look good. The plug was out, but hanging by the wire and had a lot of material in the threads. I don't have a thread repair kit. I may just replace the head. I have a couple of 8 HP vertical engines laying around. The head may be the same? If not, a head shouldn't be too difficult to find. I will probably try to restore it to usable condition for the time being and possibly do a frame-off restoration later. View attachment 169127

Attachments

#7 ·
#12 ·
I finally got to hear the Bolens engine run. It will only run for a few seconds at a time though and then loses spark. I will replace the points and condenser after Christmas. Also. gas leaks through the carb, although the carb looked like new inside. I will replace the needle and seat. At least now I know it will run with a little more work. :thumbs:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.