• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 HT20D OFFLINE  

HT20D
  • Member No: 75535
  • 31 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted September 20, 2015 - 06:27 AM

Hi everyone, just bought my first bolens ht20d. I have a Johnson 14 FEL to install on it but the loader did not come with a pump.

What type of pump is required?

Has anyone hooked one up on the HT20D? I'm assuming I'll need to hook the pump to the PTO since the pulley for a gas motor won't fit the diesel.

Would the pump size need be different running on the slower PTO vs the faster crankshaft of a gas motor?

#2 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted September 20, 2015 - 07:10 AM

The pump that Johnson provided with the loader was a Cessna pump mounted to the right side of the loader frame. With a 4" pulley on both the pump and the engine crank, it was running at engine speed. The pulley on the engine was mounted between the engine and the triple pulley for the tractor PTO. Are you suggesting that there is no room to do that on the HT20D?

• KennyP and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks

#3 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted September 20, 2015 - 10:07 AM

The pump that Johnson provided with the loader was a Cessna pump mounted to the right side of the loader frame. With a 4" pulley on both the pump and the engine crank, it was running at engine speed. The pulley on the engine was mounted between the engine and the triple pulley for the tractor PTO. Are you suggesting that there is no room to do that on the HT20D?

Doug correct there is not enough ro to put the pulley for the pump on the motor. I mounted my pump under the tractor and drive it off the pto. ht20d I would mount the pump off the front of the tractor with a mount that you will need to make or run it off one of the pto belt gloves mounted to the loader as Doug suggests with the pump mounted to the loader. If you look for a hydraulic pump from a case garden tractor that will work as that is were I got mine from.

Edited by bhts, September 20, 2015 - 10:07 AM.

• LPBolens, WrenchinOnIt and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#4 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,795 Thanks
  • 2,193 posts

Posted September 20, 2015 - 10:24 AM

:welcometogttalk: & :wewantpics: please..

#5 HT20D OFFLINE  

HT20D
  • 31 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted September 20, 2015 - 11:59 AM

Thank you for the help. I'll try to post some pictures this afternoon.

I think I'll go off the front and build a mount for the pump. Is there any Lovejoy couplings that will fit the front PTO shaft? Or anything off the shelf that will couple the PTO and pump?

#6 HT20D OFFLINE  

HT20D
  • 31 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted September 21, 2015 - 03:49 AM

Here it is!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20150918_064525472.jpg
  • IMG_20150918_064558645.jpg
  • IMG_20150918_064622624.jpg
  • IMG_20150918_064637371.jpg

• LPBolens, Alc and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks

#7 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted September 21, 2015 - 10:23 AM

And it came with a Terra Blade!

#8 blackjackjakexxix OFFLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,344 Thanks
  • 1,753 posts

Posted September 21, 2015 - 04:43 PM

Nice find,I see a grader blade also,hard item to find

Edited by blackjackjakexxix, September 21, 2015 - 04:44 PM.

• AA Hayes said thank you

#9 whitefishblues OFFLINE  

whitefishblues
  • Member No: 41816
  • 49 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted September 21, 2015 - 06:03 PM

I have an HT20D and a Johnson Loader.  I have it powered by the PTO behind the front axle.  I got the .517 cubic inch gear pump from Northern Tool (Model #G1232C5A300N00).  I made a mount for it that bolts on to the frame.  I got a lovejoy coupler from Surplus Center (1/2 L100 Jaw Coupling, Item #1-3422-E, 2 of them) and the L100 insert (Item #1-3422-X).  I got a 1" 15T splined coupler from Surplus Center as well (Item #1-1561).  

I had a local machine shop weld the splined coupler to one of the jaw couplers.  I don't remember how they did it, but they got it perfectly centered on there.  I bolted the flat stock of my homemade mount onto the frame, attached the pump to the angle iron, attached the jaw coupler to the pump shaft, fit it onto the PTO shaft, marked where the angle iron lined up on the flat stock, took it  all off and drilled my holes.  I don't weld so it's just bolted together, and parts of it are reinforced with JB weld.  It seems pretty tough to me, although I would like to eventually put some kind of housing around it so I don't have to worry about what might happen if a tree branch or blackberry vine found its way into that coupling with the PTO powered.

The loader works really well.  I've lifted a nearly full bucket of gravel and it did fine.  I don't work it too hard, though, since I only have wheel weights on the rear wheels and haven't yet built a ballast bucket for the back.

I would be remiss if I did not say that I received some very helpful guidance from several folks on this forum while I was putting this together.  It was much appreciated!

Attached Thumbnails

• HT20D front.jpg
  • HT20D Lovejoy.jpg
  • HT20D Loader Pump.jpg

• KennyP and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks

#10 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,179 Thanks
  • 5,205 posts

Posted September 21, 2015 - 06:28 PM

I have an HT20D and a Johnson Loader.  I have it powered by the PTO behind the front axle.  I got the .517 cubic inch gear pump from Northern Tool (Model #G1232C5A300N00).  I made a mount for it that bolts on to the frame.  I got a lovejoy coupler from Surplus Center (1/2 L100 Jaw Coupling, Item #1-3422-E, 2 of them) and the L100 insert (Item #1-3422-X).  I got a 1" 15T splined coupler from Surplus Center as well (Item #1-1561).  

I had a local machine shop weld the splined coupler to one of the jaw couplers.  I don't remember how they did it, but they got it perfectly centered on there.  I bolted the flat stock of my homemade mount onto the frame, attached the pump to the angle iron, attached the jaw coupler to the pump shaft, fit it onto the PTO shaft, marked where the angle iron lined up on the flat stock, took it  all off and drilled my holes.  I don't weld so it's just bolted together, and parts of it are reinforced with JB weld.  It seems pretty tough to me, although I would like to eventually put some kind of housing around it so I don't have to worry about what might happen if a tree branch or blackberry vine found its way into that coupling with the PTO powered.

The loader works really well.  I've lifted a nearly full bucket of gravel and it did fine.  I don't work it too hard, though, since I only have wheel weights on the rear wheels and haven't yet built a ballast bucket for the back.

I would be remiss if I did not say that I received some very helpful guidance from several folks on this forum while I was putting this together.  It was much appreciated!

Here it is!

Would you guys be willing to post modal and serial numbers?

#11 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,471 Thanks
  • 5,005 posts

Posted September 21, 2015 - 06:45 PM

I mounted my pump under the tractor like Whitefishblues. This has worked out very well.

#12 HT20D OFFLINE  

HT20D
  • 31 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 06:31 PM

So I finally got around to hooking up the loader, I ending up mounting the pump to an angle bar bolted to the frame rails. It seems to work great on flat ground but the moment that it is off chamber some the Lovejoy makes all kinds of noise.

It seems that the pivot point for the axle is above the PTO shaft...so as the axle pivots the PTO shaft actually moves side to side as well. Any one else had this problem?

Here's a quick video of what happens with the front end off the ground and moving one side of the axle up and down.

Edited by HT20D, February 07, 2016 - 06:47 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks

#13 blackjackjakexxix OFFLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,344 Thanks
  • 1,753 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 07:36 PM

I think WrenchinOnIt has the same type coupler,maybe he will chim in shortly
  • WrenchinOnIt said thank you

#14 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,514 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 08:15 PM

IMO a Lovejoy fitting is not made for any slight misalignment of two shafts, a yoke with a universal would allow for the movement you are experiencing, I also think with the pump mounted solid and the PTO shaft being married to the axle, you're mating of the two is subject to axle pivot wear, and any loosening of the L supports behind the axle.
If you look at the artist rendition of a HT20 with a FEL and backhoe in the factory literature you see the pump is mounted out the front , attaching it to the axle means it moves as one with the axle and thus the PTO shaft. Out the front (again IMO) is an easier set up and if it becomes necessary, easier to work on.Then a Lovejoy is a simple , effective, solid set up. Here are some pics of what was on mine , I mocked it up so you could get an idea, PTO shaft simply needs turned down to 3/4" and a key way cut , if I can be of assistance let me know

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20160207_195740_hdr.jpg
  • IMG_20160207_195714_hdr.jpg
  • IMG_20160207_195656_hdr.jpg
  • IMG_20160207_195648_hdr.jpg

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, February 07, 2016 - 08:32 PM.

• wilberj, LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix and 2 others have said thanks

#15 AA Hayes OFFLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 67383
  • 324 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 08:43 PM

Nice find,I see a grader blade also,hard item to find

I would love a belly mounted grader blade for my ht20. My driveway would like it too!

HT20D. Do you have pictures of your mounted to the tractor? Also what did you do with it? I have some friends in Maine.