Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Vote for Featured Tractor October 2015

nominations featured tractor

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

Poll: Vote for Featured Tractor October 2015 (73 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote for Featured Tractor October 2015

1. Montgomery Wards Squire - farmerall (25 votes [34.25%])

Percentage of vote: 34.25%

2. Bolens Mutt Project - fonz3482 (5 votes [6.85%])

Percentage of vote: 6.85%

3. David Bradley Suburban - CRFarnsworth (16 votes [21.92%])

Percentage of vote: 21.92%

4. Avco New Idea EGT200 - DH1 (3 votes [4.11%])

Percentage of vote: 4.11%

5. Wheel Horse C120 - Jimkemp (9 votes [12.33%])

Percentage of vote: 12.33%

6. Ford LGT100 - propane1 (4 votes [5.48%])

Percentage of vote: 5.48%

7. Cub Cadet 70 - backwoods (6 votes [8.22%])

Percentage of vote: 8.22%

8. John Deere 420 - Delmar (5 votes [6.85%])

Percentage of vote: 6.85%

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted September 01, 2015 - 07:10 PM

Voting for GTtalk Featured Tractor of the Month for the month of October has now officially started. This month is Ugly Tractor month.

The winner will be featured on the GTtalk Home Page for the entire month of October and in our Featured Tractor Section for infinity. 

We have 8 nominations this month. Let the Voting Begin!

• Montgomery Wards Squire - farmerall
  • Bolens Mutt Project - fonz3482
  • David Bradley Suburban - CRFarnsworth
  • Avco New Idea EGT200 - DH1
  • Wheel Horse C120 - Jimkemp
  • Ford LGT100 - propane1
  • Cub Cadet 70 - backwoods
  • John Deere 420 - Delmar

Before voting please be sure to check out all the entries in the posts below.

• MH81, Delmar, BTS and 4 others have said thanks

#2 farmerall OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,131 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted September 01, 2015 - 08:06 PM

This post has been promoted to an article

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC03745.JPG
  • crusty.jpg
  • 102_1354.JPG
  • 102_1355.JPG
  • 102_1357.JPG
  • DSC02751.JPG
  • DSC02752.JPG
  • DSC02753.JPG
  • DSC01960.JPG
  • DSC02596.JPG

• olcowhand, Gtractor, limebuzz and 19 others have said thanks

#3 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 84
  • 710 Thanks
  • 579 posts

Posted September 01, 2015 - 09:08 PM

I'd like to nominate the Bolens "Mutt" project. Its a mix breed of several tractors. Its current condition is unknown at this point because its stuck under my collapsed barn. My Barn roof caved in over winter doing damage to my 1050, and the Mutt appears to be damaged also. The roof is getting removed slowly as I get time. So Here's some background on the Tractor: 

I bought the tractor locally for $50. The owner said the flywheel cracked, so he began searching ebay for a flywheel and it took forever. So The tractor sat under a tarp for years, He finally found a flywheel, but then instead of installing it, he just tossed it with the tractor and left it outside(worried me, thought the motor was blown and the p.o. was lying). Well His wife wanted it gone, so I responded to her wishes and took it away.
Fearing that the motor was bad I began trying to make a motor my father had laying around in a 55 gal. drum run. I worked for hours trying to get spark out of it, and got nothing. So after consulting my dad, he suggested I just try to make the motor that was in the tractor run. So I cleaned up the crank, coil, and flywheel magnents(rusty from being outside) installed everything and tried to fire the motor. "The Mutt" was born at 10:02 pm wednesday night, and ran very well to be honest. So I called it a night and decided I would test a few other items before tearing it down thursday after work.
Well I got home thursday night, and my wife and Mom had already made plans for me for the evening. So I quickly ran out to the garage, refired the motor, and tested the clutch and all the gears. It appears all is good to go for tear down.
So I then decided on a  theme. I'm going to make the machine in the style of a pulling gt/hot rod/rat rod tractor. I bought 12x10 wheels for the rear, wide aggressive rear tires, and small skinny tires and wheels for the front. The tractor has been up dated with a stack exhaust, a beer tap shifter handle, and a g-14 hood with the "scoop" for performance!! LOL! But I can't get pictures of what it was, and what it is now until I remove it from under the roof. Hope it isn't to bad!!
Enjoy everyone!!

Attached Thumbnails

• mutt 1.jpg
  • mutt 2.jpg
  • mutt 3.jpg
  • mutt 4.jpg
  • mutt 5.jpg
  • mutt 6.jpg
  • mutt 7.jpg
  • mutt 8.jpg
  • mutt 9.jpg

• olcowhand, Gtractor, Alc and 14 others have said thanks

#4 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,594 Thanks
  • 1,719 posts

Posted September 06, 2015 - 07:52 PM

They say "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".  

My eye beholds this G.T. as a beauty.  

But just in case  someone " might consider it to be ugly",   I'll nominate my 1961 David Bradley Suburban.   "Davey"

A freind who is into large tractors happened to see this one when purchasing something else.   He let me know where and who to talk to.   It was sitting in the back of a barn stall covered with old straw and pigeon poop.  I didn't know for sure what it was, but I knew I had to have it!    Just a bare bones G.T. no tins at all and didn't want to roll, but home it came.

The brass tag on it said  "Sold by Sears & Roebuck".   The numbers come up with it being a 1961 model.

The Wisconsin engine refused to co-operate, and got relegated to the bench.   It was replaced with a 12 hp kohler from a J.D. 112.

I tried several tire/wheel combos. before settling on dual 6:00x12's.   Wheeled and dealed for a 3 pt. and hung a disc off the back.

Not having any tins led me repurpose two Wheel Horse hoods for a hood and belt guard. I have no idea what the seat came from   but it is comfortable.  This tractor also has the infamous horn that led my wife to instruct me as to a new place to install it. 

Davey may not be pretty but he gets a lot of attention and the wife actually likes driving it.   Probably because she doesn't worry about scratching it.   I enjoyed creating this one as much as restoring some of the others.   

To me it's a beauty but feel free to disagree  and vote for it's ugliness.    Rick 

Attached Thumbnails

• 009.JPG
  • 010.JPG
  • 012.JPG
  • 013.JPG
  • 014.JPG
  • 015.JPG
  • 017.JPG
  • 018.JPG
  • 021.JPG
  • 005.JPG
  • 001.JPG

• olcowhand, MH81, Alc and 14 others have said thanks

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,503 Thanks
  • 5,269 posts

Posted September 13, 2015 - 03:23 PM

This is my Avco New Idea EGT200, made by General Electric that I recently bought. I first saw it about 4 yrs ago when I bought my other EGT200, the fellow had 2 of them. Now I have both, Serial #s 4099 and 4100. Both came complete with some attachment's. The newest one I got is a working driving tractor. I've had to do some repairs and put a good set of batteries in it to get it working.

So far all I have done with it is drive around some and plow the garden pulling the plow through it. I plan to keep this as a working survivor, as original as possible, using as many different attachments as I can, to see how it does. Find out what it really can and can't do. Attachments that I now have for it are, Mid mount mower, Front mount mower, Dozer blade. Snow Blower, Rototiller, Sleeve hitch with manual lift, and some Brinly sleeve hitch attachments.

It's not all painted up nice so I guess that makes it UGLY.

001.JPG 006.JPG

012.JPG 013.JPG

edit the tractor in my avatar is the other EGT200

Edited by DH1, September 13, 2015 - 05:05 PM.

• olcowhand, limebuzz, MH81 and 12 others have said thanks

#6 Jimkemp OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 75149
  • 205 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted September 13, 2015 - 07:23 PM

I would like to put my c120 wheel horse up for nomination , I needed a tractor to plow my driveway about 4 years ago so I started looking , I found a bunch of tractors but the price was way to high on most of them or they were just in to bad of shape , My wife said to go buy a new one and that wasn't even going to be an option , So at that point I wasn't sure what to do , well I waited to long and you know what happened , IT SNOWED !!!! , So I went to home depot and bought a small walk behind snow blower to get the job done , And I hated it as it through stones all over and it took to long to do my driveway , So now we come to the part where I get the c120 wheel horse , a good friend of mine owns a race car that his daughter drives at Limerock speedway , I have a small welding and fab shop at my home and this friend stops over one day to get some nerf bars made for there race car , we get talking about my snow blower and how much I hate walking behind it and throwing rocks , He says to me if you will build the bars for us I will give you this great little plow tractor , WELL I think to myself these bars are only going to cost me $50 or $60 in tubing and 2 to 3 hrs to build them , So we make the deal and I told him I would drop off the bars and pick up the tractor , Well I get there and walk in his shop and here sits the most god awful looking tractor and I thought he was joking , and the best part it wouldn't start , I thought to my self I just got the shaft on this deal but I couldn't back out of the deal because when I shake someones and say its a deal I stick to it , so I ask him what happened with the paint , he tells me when his son and daughter were young he gave them some paint and let have at it , and let me tell you the paint is on thick !!!!!! , so I take it home and clean the carb and points and to my disbelief the thing runs !!!!! , so I put the plow and chains on it put a new battery in it and go out and plow , This thing is amazing , people up and down the street are laughing about the paint and my wife said you have to do something about that paint job and I just laughed and didn't care about the paint , 4 years later the ugly paint is still there and it plows like an animal , in 4 years I have changed the oil once a year and put 2 drive belts on it and that's it , this year I have to break down and put another battery in it and new rear tires on it , What I thought was the worst deal I ever made turned out to be the best , and this tractor is with me till the day I die then my son can have it , I might even paint it up nice before that , Well that's my story and I hope you will consider my nominationjeep seats and wheel horse tractor003.jpg 2015 wheel horse tactors003.jpg 2015 wheel horse tactors005.jpg 2015 wheel horse tactors004.jpg

• olcowhand, MH81, Alc and 12 others have said thanks

#7 propane1 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 54307
  • 5,886 Thanks
  • 3,117 posts

Posted September 14, 2015 - 08:41 AM

I am going to put in Frankie. Frankie in my mind is not ugly, but in his working clothes. I use Frankie a lot for hauling stuff around and doing garden work. I have used him for plowing snow also, I have no mower deck for him.
Frankie is a ford lgt 100. He has a creeper gear that make him great for the garden work. He was bought for parts along with his cousin frankaleana. Frankaleanas motor was out of her and her gear box was good. Frankie's gear box as bad. His motor looked good. So I got Frankie running and used parts out of frankaleana to fix up Frankie.
Frankie runs great, and rarely have any trouble with him.
Thanks for looking. Noel

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• olcowhand, MH81, Alc and 12 others have said thanks

#8 backwoods OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8613
  • 2,049 Thanks
  • 2,429 posts

Posted September 17, 2015 - 12:37 PM

well im gonna enter my all original 1963 cub 70 that is my real work horse i bought it for $75 non running with flat tires. after the first week it was running with a good carb cleaning ever since it has usally had a snow plow on it an used for snow removal or leveling dirt or pushing anything i dont want to

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20150308_112617_791.jpg
  • IMG_20150308_112623_238.jpg

Edited by backwoods, September 17, 2015 - 12:40 PM.

• olcowhand, MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and 7 others have said thanks

#9 Delmar OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,257 Thanks
  • 2,383 posts

Posted September 19, 2015 - 08:28 AM

Well, I would like to nominate this old girl...  it is a early John Deere 420  I found sitting in a field with weeds growed up around it.  It has the mower deck but that needs work too.  PO said it had not been running for a couple of years.  The gas tank was empty, almost everything but some tin was there, and I got it for less than $500 bucks.  I backed my trailer up to it and used a chain and come-a -long to pull it onto my trailer. 

The back tires were rotted and one of the front tires needs replaced too.  I had a pair of new ag tires in the garage that fit the rims, so I put them on.   Wire connections needed cleaned up on the coil, key switch, pto switch, and the points too.  It was missing the fuse on it, there were  2 cut wires where the fuse had been.  I cleaned up all the connections and tied in a new fuse.  I took apart the carb. and cleaned that.  The gas lines were rotted so I replaced them and  the fuel filter.  The fuel pick up screen in the gas tank was good, so I just replaced the fuel tank grommet there.  Added gas and a battery and cranked it.  It fired up but quit running.  I messed with the float bowl, cleaned up the fuel inlet again, put it back together.  Got it to run again but not well. I took off the top of the carb, took off the float and needle, and cranked it over for a bit. longer.  This let whatever was blocking the fuel line to clear and gas was pumping good then.  I put it all back together and she started up and smoked for a bit but now runs good.  I have a 3-point hitch off of a 318 that is going on this tractor.  I will use this tractor to pull a trailer and to plow dirt in my garden.   

006.jpg 007.jpg 008.jpg 009.jpg 010.jpg

Edited by Delmar, September 19, 2015 - 10:10 AM.

• olcowhand, MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and 7 others have said thanks

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted September 20, 2015 - 06:14 AM

Let the voting begin. :D

#11 MH81 OFFLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,694 Thanks
  • 28,340 posts

Posted September 20, 2015 - 07:57 AM

Wow, there is some ugly on this list.
Gonna hafta study these for a while.
  • Delmar, backwoods and propane1 have said thanks

#12 Jimkemp OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 75149
  • 205 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted September 21, 2015 - 06:41 PM

Wow, there is some ugly on this list.
Gonna hafta study these for a while.

You bet there's some ugly on here but they are all very cool no matter how ugly :thumbs:

• Delmar and propane1 have said thanks

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 01:40 PM

I apologize for not getting the notice at the top of the page updated when I got the voting started. It is updated now.

• Delmar, BTS and propane1 have said thanks

#14 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 12:19 PM

Darn..I missed it..I should have put Frankin tractor in this one..Ohh well maybe next time.

• Member No: 66960
  • 869 Thanks
  • 463 posts

Posted September 27, 2015 - 05:56 AM

It came down to the 'Crusty Monkey ' I found this one ugly but with its own 'charm  or 'Davey' - in the end I voted for 'Davey' the 61' DB - In my mind it made me cringe - there is nothing pretty about that tractor except that it works.

Great tractors all - and no , there are no ugly tractors if they save you some labor. :thumbs:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nominations, featured, tractor