• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MichaelBeck OFFLINE  

MichaelBeck
  • Member No: 69804
  • 89 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted September 19, 2015 - 03:07 PM

When the free wheel pin is out how much resistance should the tractor have (Aside from its own weight)

I set my endplay and set the brakes but when pushing the tractor it has a heck of a lot of resistance - often being very very hard to push. Jacking it up, confirms no binding when turning the wheels with the weight off them. Controlled differential not engaged and brakes are not on. Is this normal or not?

#2 Chubien ONLINE  

Chubien
  • Member No: 61561
  • 605 Thanks
  • 382 posts

Posted September 19, 2015 - 03:17 PM

They should roll quite easily, For some reason my 850 rolls more easily than my 1050.
I changed the bronze axle bearings on the other 850 and its practically impossible to roll now, bearings are a little too tight. I can actually drive the tractor around without the pin if I'm just moving it around. Have yours been replaced? Can you spin the wheel on the hub side freely when jacked up and pin out?
  • MichaelBeck said thank you

#3 MichaelBeck OFFLINE  

MichaelBeck
  • 89 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted September 19, 2015 - 04:15 PM

Yep can spin both wheels freely either together or independently jacked up. Tractor drives fine with no obvious hindrance. I would doubt mine have been replaced. It hadn't seen much maintenance for a while before i got it

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 07:19 AM

Do you have a drag on the other end that is creating the problem?  Like the front wheels,  etc.

#5 MichaelBeck OFFLINE  

MichaelBeck
  • 89 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 02:16 PM

Do you have a drag on the other end that is creating the problem?  Like the front wheels,  etc.

Nope - Front wheels roll great

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 02:28 PM

When rotating the rear tires when the tractor is lifted off the ground have you tried spinning both tires the same direction at the same time?

#7 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted September 26, 2015 - 01:54 AM

I agree with the previous post if jacked up and you have the pin out when you turn one wheel independently of the other does the opposite wheel rotate counter to the turned wheel? This would indicate that your differential is still engaged. On your hub you should have a diff locking nut try loosening this?

#8 MichaelBeck OFFLINE  

MichaelBeck
  • 89 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted October 06, 2015 - 07:42 PM

Turned out the RH hub was only getting grease 1/2 way around. After a strip and clean it rolls super easy now, Thanks for the advice folks :)