#16 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted September 23, 2015 - 08:14 AM

All the cabs that I've built, the steel was the cheapest part of the build. The safety glass is what really adds to the cost.

• BTS said thank you

#17 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted September 23, 2015 - 10:04 PM

All the cabs that I've built, the steel was the cheapest part of the build. The safety glass is what really adds to the cost.

The windows are free, I have lots and lots of glass that I am going to use. I'm going to cut 2 pieces for each window and silicone the 2 pieces together to make it into safety glass.

I hauled 2 trailer loads like that, I believe I have all the glass I will ever need!

Attached Thumbnails

• Bolens 3-pt Hitch 002.JPG
  • Bolens 3-pt Hitch 003.JPG

Edited by BTS, September 23, 2015 - 10:09 PM.

#18 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted September 23, 2015 - 10:31 PM

Finally, finally, finally. I got the loader/backhoe/frame/brace thingamajig finished. I had my brother come by the shop today and help me. it is heavy enough and hard to move around. We finally got the bolt holes lined up and it's now bolted on and ready to be welded to the other loader framing. My brother left and I went to the local hardware store (only a couple miles away) I splurged and bought a 24' stick of 1" box and a 24' stick of 1 1/2" flat. It only cost me around $40 which I didn't think was to bad. I was just getting started cutting box steel when I wondered out of the shed to get a cell signal so I could look at the weather. The clouds were building up and the wind was switching direction. After a few minutes i wondered back inside to find a 3' black snake slithering across the floor, under the Kubota and over my metal pile. Me hating everything about snakes, I kept my distance and watched to see where it would go. It went under the table saw and then I lost sight of him. I high tailed it out of the shop and called my brother (again) and told him to get over here. He does not mind the horrible disgusting things and he will catch them (he will not kill them) He searched the shed and finally found it between the tin on the wall and a pole. He tried to get it pulled out but the snake fell behind some junk and disappeared. So after looking a little more, my brother gave up and left. The hole time working in the shed I was always keeping a close eye out, I hated welding because I couldn't see around me, I would always stop every minute to glance around for the stupid thing. Tomorrow I'm buying a couple containers of snake-a-way and dumping them around the shed. The shed is my neighbors and it is huge. It's around 35' X 65', there is quite a bit of stuff in there so that makes great hiding places.

Anyway, enough about the snake (can you tell I don't like them).

I got to test out the rack we just built for the pickup, I used it to haul the metal on.

I got a piece of flat steel bent around the dash, then I started on the front frame work of the cab, so far so good.

Attached Thumbnails

• Kubota Kab 013.jpg
  • Kubota Kab 014.jpg
  • Kubota Kab 015.jpg
  • Kubota Kab 016.jpg

Edited by BTS, September 23, 2015 - 10:32 PM.

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#19 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 23, 2015 - 10:43 PM

Very nice progress. I hate snakes too lol.
  • BTS said thank you

#20 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted September 23, 2015 - 11:28 PM

Very nice progress. I hate snakes too lol.

Glad it's just not me, Although the shed isn't mine, I'm thinking about having some air planes come over and drop some bombs on it. I think I will just take my losses with my Kubota and just move on :rolling:

#21 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 10:48 PM

Ok, today I ran up to the local hardware to get some cut off wheels for my little grinder, they were out of the kind I normally get (DeWalt) but he had some "Cal-Hawk" cut off wheels. I have never bought these because they look to be thinner and that's not what I want in a cut off wheel. But I was needing something, so I bought 2 (at $3.50 each) and I thought I would make do with them. I stuck one on the grinder, went to cut a small weld, I just barely touched the grinder to the weld and the wheel exploded. It flung pieces all over while sticking pieces into my arms and fingers. Needless to say I'm going to return the other cut off wheel and wait for him to get the dewalt ones back in.

I didn't get a whole lot done on the cab, I got the front mounts finished and I just need to get some bolts. I also got the box steel tacked into place running back towards the tires. Next is the harder part, I need to start cutting angles and forming the fenders.

Attached Thumbnails

• Kubota Cab 007.jpg
  • Kubota Cab 006.jpg
  • Kubota Cab 010.jpg
  • Kubota Cab 013.jpg

• olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks

#22 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted September 25, 2015 - 05:35 AM

I've used a bunch of the DeWalt wheels! But the 6" band saw is cutting that usage down. Just hard to get some angles with it.

• BTS said thank you

#23 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted September 25, 2015 - 07:23 PM

I stuck one on the grinder, went to cut a small weld, I just barely touched the grinder to the weld and the wheel exploded. It flung pieces all over while sticking pieces into my arms and fingers...

This is why you always need the guard in place and safety glasses. (I noticed no guard on your grinder)

This has happened to me; only the guard deflected everything away from my person and sent it across the shop. Glad I was alone at the time. Nothing hurt but my shorts. :smilewink:

• BTS said thank you

#24 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted September 25, 2015 - 08:34 PM

This is why you always need the guard in place and safety glasses. (I noticed no guard on your grinder)

This has happened to me; only the guard deflected everything away from my person and sent it across the shop. Glad I was alone at the time. Nothing hurt but my shorts. :smilewink:

Luckily I did have the guard at the time, the guard was removed when I took the wheel off. I also always wear safety glasses but I might look into a full face shield for the future. I have had these wheels come apart on me, but never a new one like that.

• Bmerf said thank you

#25 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted September 25, 2015 - 08:59 PM

Glad you were being safe. I don't care for those real thin blades; these were the ones that self destructed on me. Usually use 1/16". The 1/8" are too thick, hard to keep a nice straight line when cutting stock, work ok for cutting welds though.  Full face shield in on my short list of things to get, as I have had stuff get into my eyes under safety glasses.

#26 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted September 25, 2015 - 09:11 PM

Today's cab building went pretty well, I should have the lower frame finished tomorrow, although I'm needing to go buy another stick of box, I only have 5ft left. I got the opening for the door done up, it turned out pretty decent. So far I'm happy with the way it's turning out, hopefully it will look pretty decent when I'm finished.

Attached Thumbnails

• Kubota Cab 021.jpg
  • Kubota Cab 022.jpg
  • Kubota Cab 023.jpg
  • Kubota Cab 024.jpg
  • Kubota Cab 025.jpg

#27 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 25, 2015 - 09:42 PM

Looking quite decent for sure.
  • BTS said thank you

#28 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted September 26, 2015 - 08:23 AM

Looking good.In the pic it looks like you only have a couple of inches clearance between the rear tire and door opening.If it was me I'd have given it a bit more. Reason being is that if you ever have to replace a rear tire the new one could end up being a bit larger in Dia. and end up rubbing on the frame. I know this because I had to modify my cab when I replaced the tires on my MF 175. Never thought that the new tires would be a couple inches bigger. 

• BTS said thank you

#29 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted September 26, 2015 - 10:52 PM

Looking good.In the pic it looks like you only have a couple of inches clearance between the rear tire and door opening.If it was me I'd have given it a bit more. Reason being is that if you ever have to replace a rear tire the new one could end up being a bit larger in Dia. and end up rubbing on the frame. I know this because I had to modify my cab when I replaced the tires on my MF 175. Never thought that the new tires would be a couple inches bigger. 

I've already thought of that, something went wrong along the way and the framing ended up closer then I wanted, but I don't really want to take it all apart and rebuild it. This is the only size of tire that I can get for these rims (gray market tractor so it runs a 8.3x22) But I do have turf tires  that are a 9x24 and they stand a couple inches taller. So I'm wondering if they are going to fit? especially if I run tire chains. We were talking about selling our turf tires because I doubt we will ever use them, since the ags are loaded with 2 sets of weights, it seems like to much trouble to swap wheels + loose all the weight (tractor tips over forward with a bucket of dirt with out rear weight). I mess with it this weekend and see what I can do.

Thanks for the tips, keep them coming! :thumbs:

#30 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted September 26, 2015 - 11:00 PM

I got some work done on the right fender today, the top half of the cab is mounting on the outside of the fender. I still have lot and lots more bracing and welding. Everything is barely welded together, I want to get everything in place before I do any major welding.

Attached Thumbnails

• Kubota Cab 064.jpg
  • Kubota Cab 065.jpg
  • Kubota Cab 066.jpg
  • Kubota Cab 067.jpg

• Alc and wvbuzzmaster have said thanks