#1 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,712 Thanks
  • 1,721 posts

Posted September 18, 2015 - 10:23 PM

OK, So I have decided to bite the bullet and build a cab for my Kubota L2000.

I have been wanting to build a cab for 3 years now and they are saying that this is going to be a cold/wet winter, so this sounds like a good year to have a cab. Anyway, this cab is going to be harder to build because this tractor is old enough, it doesn't have a operators platform, so I'm going to half to do a lot more work to completely enclose this cab.

I got the tractor hauled over to my neighbors/friends shed today, I got the fenders pulled and I thought while I was in there, I would go ahead and tighten the brake linkages so the pedals don't push so far (they push about 4" more then they should). I successfully broke (twisted off) both brake linkages, so now I have that to deal with, but anyway, back to the cab.

I am going to build this out of misc scrap laying around, I don't have the money to spend on metal. I have a ROPS unit off of a large hustler mower, I also have a smaller ROPS unit off of a smaller hustler mower (not pictured) and I have some box steel. I also have some misc angle iron laying around that I can use if needed. I have a door (with working handle) off of a old Gleaner "A" combine, but I think the door is going to be to narrow at the top, to wide at the bottom and it might be to short (only 50" tall) If it wont work then I will just build my own door.

It's going to have one door, all the windows will open (including windshield) and be removable. The back window will open far enough to reach through to adjust the top link.

My biggest issues right now is building the cab around the power steering valve that I put on it and the 3-pt lift arms darn near hit the back of the seat.

On Saturday, I'm starting on a loader brace that goes from the belly of the tractor to the rear end, this will also sever as a mount for the backhoe and it will also be the start of a floor for the cab.

Attached Thumbnails

• Koyker Loader FINISHED on Kubota 014.jpg
  • Koyker Loader FINISHED on Kubota 016.jpg
  • Kubota Cab 026.jpg
  • Kubota Cab 027.jpg
  • Kubota Cab 029.jpg
  • Kubota Cab 024.jpg
  • Kubota Cab 036.jpg
  • Kubota Cab 004.jpg
  • Kubota Cab 005.jpg
  • Kubota Cab 003.jpg
  • Kubota Cab 025.jpg

Edited by BTS, September 18, 2015 - 10:28 PM.

• olcowhand, MH81, Alc and 3 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,748 Thanks
  • 7,519 posts

Posted September 19, 2015 - 05:43 AM

There was another thread last week from one of our Canadian members who is building a cab. You might want to check that one out because it has a bunch of links to plans and articles.

I have a professonally made cab for my 1973 Ford 2000. It has a frame and roof of bent from 16 gauge(I think) sheet metal. The windshield is glass and the other sides are plastic. It bolts inside the fenders in the back and the front clamps to the dash. Even this light duty cab is a big improvement over getting blasted by a cold wind. Besure to have a defroster for any glass. I've been using an electric hand held(or duct taped) from HF that was $10. Between the lights, wiper, and defroster, I have to stop and turn off all electrical every half hour to recharge the battery. Good Luck, Rick
  • Alc and BTS have said thanks

#3 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,712 Thanks
  • 1,721 posts

Posted September 19, 2015 - 08:04 AM

There was another thread last week from one of our Canadian members who is building a cab. You might want to check that one out because it has a bunch of links to plans and articles.

I have a professonally made cab for my 1973 Ford 2000. It has a frame and roof of bent from 16 gauge(I think) sheet metal. The windshield is glass and the other sides are plastic. It bolts inside the fenders in the back and the front clamps to the dash. Even this light duty cab is a big improvement over getting blasted by a cold wind. Besure to have a defroster for any glass. I've been using an electric hand held(or duct taped) from HF that was $10. Between the lights, wiper, and defroster, I have to stop and turn off all electrical every half hour to recharge the battery. Good Luck, Rick

Thanks, where would this other thread be? I did a search but didn't come up with much.

I am going to put in a heater, I'm going to plumb it in to the radiator hoses. I like the heater idea here http://lifeonhighway...ractor-cab.html

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,748 Thanks
  • 7,519 posts

Posted September 19, 2015 - 08:28 AM

It was your thread. You had some referred places. You got me on that one. I'm still laughing at my lack of remembering the tractor. Good Luck, Rick
  • BTS said thank you

#5 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted September 19, 2015 - 08:53 AM

Glad you got started.Its going to be interesting to watch your progress.Have fun with your build.

• BTS said thank you

#6 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,712 Thanks
  • 1,721 posts

Posted September 19, 2015 - 04:01 PM

It was your thread. You had some referred places. You got me on that one. I'm still laughing at my lack of remembering the tractor. Good Luck, Rick

:rolling: That's fine, although I was looking forward to seeing another cab build :poke:.

#7 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,712 Thanks
  • 1,721 posts

Posted September 19, 2015 - 04:04 PM

Glad you got started.Its going to be interesting to watch your progress.Have fun with your build.

Don't expect it to look as good as your cabs, I'm wanting this to look as nice as I can get it, but I'm also going for practical. Since I have next to no money to spend on this, who knows what it will end up looking like. Basically I'm trying to say, don't hold to high expectations :thumbs:

#8 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,712 Thanks
  • 1,721 posts

Posted September 19, 2015 - 04:05 PM

I also forgot, I'm going to half to make this cab so I can still use my backhoe, so I'm going to half to work that out.

Anyway, back to work :deadhorse:

#9 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,712 Thanks
  • 1,721 posts

Posted September 19, 2015 - 09:57 PM

Today I got the new sub frame/brace built for the loader/backhoe. This is going to be welded onto the loader mount that's on the belly of the tractor, it will run back and bolt onto the in the middle of the rear end, then bolt to the rear axle. this will stick out the back of the tractor and be inline with the 3-pt arm mounts. This should take stress off of the tractor when using the loader and backhoe. Right now the backhoe goes on in place of the 3-pt arms and I'm afraid of it damaging the tractor with all the stress just on the rear end.

Also dug around a little and found some more misc metal for the cab, I am getting close to having enough.

Attached Thumbnails

• Kubota Cab 016.jpg
  • Kubota Cab 019.jpg
  • Kubota Cab 020.jpg
  • Kubota Cab 021.jpg
  • Kubota Cab 023.jpg

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#10 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted September 20, 2015 - 08:37 AM

Its nice to sit back and watch someone else build a cab for a change.This way I don't have to do all the thinking in trying to figure out how to put everything together and make it all work.

• BTS said thank you

#11 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,712 Thanks
  • 1,721 posts

Posted September 21, 2015 - 08:02 PM

I got some more work done on the loader/backhoe brace, I went to test fit it today and realized the back of the frame was going to hit the rear of the tractor. So I started cutting and welding, I cut off 3" on both sides and then welded the pieces I cut off back on to the bottom side to "box it in" I want to make sure this part of the frame is strong since the backhoe will be mounting on it. After I got it all cut and welded back together. I then went to test fit it again and I found out that the frame is hanging up on the brake/clutch pedal mounts :wallbanging:. So I then pulled frame back out (bear in mind that the frame weighs around 100lbs) and I had to cut notches on both sides for the frame to fit around the pedal mounts.

I know everyone is thinking "I thought you were building a cab, not some dumb sub frame???"

Yes I am building a cab, but I also need this frame because it will be very hard to build after the cab and my cab floor is going to mount to this, so this is important to the cab.

I also snapped a picture of the new seat that I'm going to put in it, this seat wouldn't fit before because the fenders were to narrow and the seat wouldn't fit between them. Hopefully with the new fenders I am going to build, there should be enough room.

Attached Thumbnails

• Kubota Cab 009.jpg
  • Kubota Cab 011.jpg
  • Kubota Cab 013.jpg
  • Kubota Cab 014.jpg
  • Kubota Cab 016.jpg
  • Kubota Cab 017.jpg

Edited by BTS, September 21, 2015 - 10:16 PM.

• wvbuzzmaster and KennyP have said thanks

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,371 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 06:39 AM

You have to start at the bottom to build up! Good to see you are finding what needs trimmed before you get further along!

• BTS said thank you

#13 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 08:02 AM

Always something to change when making something fit.Looks like it should be plenty strong,for what it's intended for.

• BTS said thank you

#14 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,712 Thanks
  • 1,721 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 11:05 PM

Always something to change when making something fit.Looks like it should be plenty strong,for what it's intended for.

It should be strong enough, that's the frame off of a Allis Chalmers WC/WD/WD45 tractor, It is 7" wide and 1/4" thick.

#15 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,712 Thanks
  • 1,721 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 11:09 PM

Didn't get much done today, went to town and bought 4 metric fine thread bolts, the only ones they had were to long so I had to cut them. The dang bolts cost $4 each :mad2:.

I went to the local hardware today and priced some thin box steel (1") and some thin flat steel (1 1/2"). The box is only $1 per foot and the flat is 50 something cents a foot. I thought steel was a lot higher then that? so it looks like I might buy a 24' stick of each.

Hoping to have the frame finished on Wednesday, (I hope) :deadhorse:

Edited by BTS, September 23, 2015 - 07:32 AM.

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you