Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Cub 1210 info, and aluminum rear axle housing strength?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted September 18, 2015 - 04:51 PM

I've got a cub 1210 that I picked up a little while ago. Frame and bodywork are structurally good and I have the tins, pan, seat and all, but no deck or other accessories for it.

cub1210.jpg

My understanding is that the 1210 was basically the Cub/MTD replacement for the IH 1250, correct? It's still a quiet-line with rubber engine mounts and the same engine (m12 in later models, but mine appears to be a k engine...), but the side panels are different shape. Fuel tank is different shape, different rear end (with aluminum vs iron case). Lift arm and mechanism look less beefy, lots of other little stuff... 

I almost NEVER see anything about the 1210 - anybody have any experience with one?

Anyone with experience with BOTH 1250 and 1210 and compare the two? Is the 1210 better built?

Since I already HAVE a 1250 (and a 1650 "project"), I'm looking for a justification for keeping this thing, as opposed to fix/sell or trade off.

I had thought of turning it into a mini backhoe/loader. It wouldn't be anytime soon, and I understand that it would be a VERY ambitious project, but I already have quite a few of the components I would need for building it. Not sure how "practical" the backhoe part would be on such a light tractor, but it would be a good counterweight for the loader!

Just thinking out loud, I would put on larger/heavier front wheels and power steering. Do away with the deck lift and electric clutch and drive a hydro pump off the front pto side of engine to support the loader and hoe. Put the seat on a locking swivel to turn around and run the hoe. Standard loader, but use a sub-frame backward to tie in the hoe attachment so it doesn't twist the back end of the frame up.

How strong are the alloy rear end and axle tubes? I hear people talking about bracing them and stripping bolts out of them....

'Course I would have to finish up several other projects, clear up some work space, spend some $$$ (steel and rest of hydraulics), and have lots of time to tackle this. Hmmmmmm   smile!!!  

Edited by Tennblue59, September 18, 2015 - 05:02 PM.

#2 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted September 18, 2015 - 10:28 PM

A 1250 would be the model from 2 series before this one.  It would be more related to a 1282 it direct ancestor than a 1250.  A 1250 had a K301 in it for it's production run.  The grandparents on my fathers side had a 1211 which would be the same as your 1210 only with hydraulic lift as opposed to the manual lift.  It was a good tractor.  Which is better?  In my book the 1250 would be better any day of the week.

#3 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted September 19, 2015 - 09:44 AM

Thanks... That's kinda the way I thought about it - that the older IH was the better of the two. I did an internet search and found a discussion about the 1210 (on another gardening forum that i had never heard of) that was talking about how the 1210 was an IMPROVEMENT on the older series it was build to replace - the 1210 was what they mentioned.

The M12 engine is pointless ignition vs the k301 design - improvement there. And the gear case is the heavier alloy rear end with large fine spline shafts (I read that and don't know the significance or what it compares to, how much "better"...). Fuel tank looks bigger. But most of the rest of the thing looks like thinner metal and less beefy design - a "cheaper to build" version of the 1250.

I also like that the 1250 is a TRUE International Harvester model, not a Cub Cadet, or Cub/MTD brand.

Unless I repurpose the 1210 like I talked about (or something better), I can't see keeping both long term, so if one goes, it would be the 1210...