• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted September 17, 2015 - 06:25 PM

Well it seems the 130000 series 5HP Briggs just gave up on my air compressor. 

I have another that might be a good candidate to take its place, and I know the dimensions of the crank PTO end  on the potential replacement. (it's not attached to anything right now, out in the open where I can see it) 

but w/o pulling the compressor apart I don't yet know what diam. crank the dead engine has.

(we are talking "dead" as in it just died/seized up tight on me, been "dying" a slow death for a while for numerous reasons)

Can I tell maybe by model and type number off the engine, what the dimensions of the crank would be on the engine that's on there now to see if what I have is gonna work?

I am hoping it's a "go" because one thing I know about the potential replacement, is that it has a ball bearing on the PTO end of the crank rather than a sleeve bearing. (both the dead motor and the potential replacement are 130000 series  5HP horizontal, do not have exact numbers from either in front of me at the moment)

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,786 Thanks
  • 7,539 posts

Posted September 17, 2015 - 06:57 PM

At the front of many of the B&S Repair Manuals is a section that explains what the models and codes mean. Good Luck, Rick

#3 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 2,144 posts

Posted September 17, 2015 - 07:09 PM

There were Briggs crankshaft manuals which provided dimensions of the various B&S crankshafts.

To use these c/s manuals, you needed the part number of the crankshaft in question.

You need the model, type, and code numbers of the engines to learn which crankshafts they have.

If you can post all the numbers from each engine, I, or others,  may be able to help.

• MH81 and dodge trucker have said thanks

#4 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted September 17, 2015 - 09:36 PM

I have the dead engine here, can get those numbers. the (possible) replacement is 30 miles away in the storage barn, but that's the one I know the specs on.

(I asked this question to get the answer the lazy way, I know, as that motor has to come off regardless.... but thought this info might help someone else too)  and I know that kohler has a "crank guide"  I figured briggs would too, but wasn't sure.