#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted September 17, 2015 - 12:56 PM

Engine going back together and need a torque for flywheel nut on the 2900000 series. 12.5 hp.

These engines have a half-moon flywheel key and is that a bear to make stay in the crank slot and slide the flywheel on and then the magnets trying to attract to the coils at same time!!  The key kept wanting to move and fall out or jamb up as you slid the flywheel into it. Finally got it after marking wheel and getting down to watch thru the center hole to align darn thing. Starter is cranking like wild, all good to go on it now too.

#2 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,954 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted September 17, 2015 - 02:56 PM

I just hit them with an impact gun set to 80-90 psi till the nut quits moveing. Yea I know.....

#3 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,645 Thanks
  • 1,059 posts

Posted September 17, 2015 - 03:51 PM

Can't help you with the torque-----But a trick I use sometimes on a key is a drop of super glue to hole it in place the bond will break when you tighten it up----or give the key a tap with a center punch on the side to raise it a touch , not to much just enough to hold it in the key way.

#4 3v0 OFFLINE  

3v0
  • Member No: 26648
  • 79 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted September 17, 2015 - 04:01 PM

You may have a few too many zeros in that number "2900000"

Check this chart

http://www4.briggsan...hart_ms3992.pdf

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted September 17, 2015 - 05:24 PM

Shop said 120 lbs. I couldn't hold it worth a darn, so hit it a few times with the impact....."Yeah..I know!" as quoted above. Been running and not fell off yet! A few things to note. YES, you need the gas shut-off to carb hooked up to run! Yes, that terminal WAS the Mag shut-down and YES, I did change the key switch and run wires some diff to make it run correctly. Took off real fast when started. I set the Governor and it is fine on that now. Idle still a little fast, have set the linkage screw and can hold it there and is fine. The linkage rod has that Z bend in it and I believe I've seen where bending that with their "Special" tool changes the idle play. I've tried pliers and some other tricks, but won't bend yet, must be a hardend little rod material?? That tool is just a rod with a slot in it to slip over the linkage, would think something would bend it?? Guess I'll get out some rod and see if I can put a slot in end that holds up to the bending. Have it charging now too, so guess good to go. NOW......need some exhaust!

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150917_180146.jpg
  • 20150917_180010.jpg

Edited by glgrumpy, September 17, 2015 - 05:26 PM.

• KennyP said thank you