- - - - -

Need some help ? Ford LGT 14D alternator

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

• Member No: 47170
  • 182 Thanks
  • 264 posts

Posted September 17, 2015 - 11:56 AM

I found my alternator bad on my Ford LGT 14D and removed it to take apart. I unplugged the two small wires assuming they would be color coded.....Not!! Plain light blue wire with no stripes or anything. This is not a brushes type alternator....has a fixed Stator and magnet flywheel with the pulley mounted like I`ve seen on boat engines. The wire are less than 1/8 inch in diameter with insulation so there is probably not a lot of juice going thru them since it doesn`t have to fire sparkplugs. Probably just maintains batts juice.. Both wire seem to go one of the windings on the stator. Anybody with a clue would be helpful

Even better a wiring diagram !

Thanks ahead !

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,661 Thanks
  • 39,035 posts

Posted September 17, 2015 - 06:46 PM

See if this helps!

LGT14D Wiring.JPG

#3 olcowhand OFFLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,244 Thanks
  • 29,698 posts

Posted September 17, 2015 - 06:54 PM

If it's just a stator, not an alternator then wires don't matter. Either can go to either connection. The 2 wires produce AC current that the regulator changes to DC current. It's a 15 amp system.
  • Oldford said thank you

• Member No: 47170
  • 182 Thanks
  • 264 posts

Posted September 18, 2015 - 09:51 AM

Thanks guys.....I found that parts diagram and basically confirmed what I thought......I think 1 wire goes to regulator and one to dash gauge.

A shout to my Dooley Tractor parts guy in Athens Tn. I called about the bearing ....apparently the only part available thru NH. The alternator is available for $375.....and the bearing for $16. They always enjoy my calls for the oddball outdated stuff I own....everybody needs a laugh apparently. He looked up the part....then asked me if I knew of a Bailey hydraulic in Knoxville. I didn`t but told him I would find it. He said they showed they had the bearing in stock. I called and sure enough they had it. Cost $2.40 and picked it up next day.

It would have been a simple fix but I had to take a rotary file to get the bearing off the shaft. The puller got the outside ring and the balls but not the ring on the shaft. I would have taken some kind of special puller to get that one down in that little thing.....course I didn`t have one.

Would be nice if you get a shop manual to post for download of the LGT 14d

Thanks again guys