• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,963 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 06:29 AM

Two kinds of coils
With Internal resistor and without.
Usually, with an internal resistive coil, you don't need the extra dropping resistor, some guys use them anyways if the points are a B to get to.
  • Alc said thank you

#62 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,605 Thanks
  • 9,419 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 06:32 AM

This has been a learning experience for all of us. The original problem was the factory coil not putting out enough?

• chieffan said thank you

#63 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,106 Thanks
  • 6,220 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 07:59 AM

This has been a learning experience for all of us. The original problem was the factory coil not putting out enough?

That is the best I can come up with.  The output coil to the points tested .5 ohms.  From what I was told when they get down to .7 they start causing problems.  A good coil will test about 1.2 to 1.4 ohms.  Just a break down with age and use I guess.

• diesel nut said thank you

#64 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,906 Thanks
  • 2,448 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 08:00 AM

Yes.  .....Those B&S # 29656 "horseshoe" magneto coils were notorious for failing in that manner.

They would generate a spark, which was deceptive, yet they would not allow the engine to run, or run properly.

• Alc and chieffan have said thanks

#65 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,605 Thanks
  • 9,419 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 08:08 AM

Remember when gas stations had those spark plug testers? You would screw in the plug and run up the pressure while it was sparking. Sparking is one thing. Sparking under compression is something else.

#66 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 9,106 Thanks
  • 6,220 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 08:14 AM

Remember when gas stations had those spark plug testers? You would screw in the plug and run up the pressure while it was sparking. Sparking is one thing. Sparking under compression is something else.

I just happen to have on of those.  Has the cleaner with it.  Bought it from a local Chevy garage when it closed.  I had an H Farmall at that time that would foul the plug on one cylinder every half day of running.  Would use the machine to clean up the plug and use it again the next day.  Had some stuck rings but finally got them loosened up.  Sure took a long time, like all summer.

• Alc and LilysDad have said thanks

#67 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,601 Thanks
  • 7,325 posts

Posted September 23, 2015 - 05:23 AM

Yes.  .....Those B&S # 29656 "horseshoe" magneto coils were notorious for failing in that manner.

They would generate a spark, which was deceptive, yet they would not allow the engine to run, or run properly.

Bruce would those ( or other coils ) fail like I have seen with plugs ? You would get a OK spark laying it on the head but nothing when installed ? Would an inline plug checker pick that up or maybe a 12 volt power timing light ?

• chieffan said thank you

#68 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 9,106 Thanks
  • 6,220 posts

Posted September 23, 2015 - 06:31 AM

Bruce would those ( or other coils ) fail like I have seen with plugs ? You would get a OK spark laying it on the head but nothing when installed ? Would an inline plug checker pick that up or maybe a 12 volt power timing light ?

Alc, I had an in line spark checker on this one and it showed spark.  I guess I should have turned the lights off and then watched it.  May have caught it sooner that it was a week spark but I didn't.  I did check with the lights off but was watching for a spark wwhere it shouldn't be and not at the spark checker.

• Alc said thank you

#69 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 6,759 Thanks
  • 4,903 posts

Posted September 23, 2015 - 07:35 AM

That's why it isn't a good idea to check for spark outside the cylinder with a spark plug. You can make a tester out of a plug by making the gap too big. I use a rule of thumb of at least 5 times the plug gap outside the cylinder. If you can jump that, you should have a strong enough spark. I'v even closed the plug gap to compensate for a weak coil.