• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 martinphillip03 OFFLINE  

martinphillip03
  • Member No: 75383
  • 2 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 09:07 PM

Hello, I just bought a 1972 Ford LGT 145 Lawn Tractor. Overall its in good shape. My #1 problem is the Hydraulic 2" cylinder that lifts and lowers the mower deck is leaking badly when the deck is lifted and lowered.  What do you all suggest.

Marty

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,925 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 09:20 PM

Can you verify the exact location of the leak? Is it a hose, the seal, or unknown?
  • boyscout862 and martinphillip03 have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 10:13 PM

Welcome to GTT. The manuals for that are in the Manuals Section. That is a nice machine, I have 2 of its sisters. Good Luck, Rick
  • martinphillip03 said thank you

#4 backyardtinker OFFLINE  

backyardtinker
  • Member No: 73578
  • 249 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 10:14 PM

Hello, I just bought a 1972 Ford LGT 145 Lawn Tractor. Overall its in good shape. My #1 problem is the Hydraulic 2" cylinder that lifts and lowers the mower deck is leaking badly when the deck is lifted and lowered.  What do you all suggest.

Marty

If the cylinder is leaking from the seal around the rod, you will need to get the cylinder "repacked". The cylinder has to come apart and have all the internal seals replaced. You must make sure the rod is not pitted with rust, dinged up,etc. or it will destroy the new seals. If it is in poor shape, sometimes they can be repaired or re-chromed or simply replaced. I just recently did mine on my Bolens. Had to file/polish down some rust pitting and dings and some were filled with JB weld and sanded down with 1500 grit. Others were filled with braze and similarly polished down smooth. Silver brazing is also a good or perhaps better choice I would think but have not tried that option. In any event, if you elect to repair the dings pitts, and some of the chrome plating gets worn off, be sure to treat the exposed metal rod with phosphoric acid to "phosphotize" the steel which gives a small degree of corrosion protection. If the repair is in an area exposed with the rod extended, store it with the rod retracted so exposed/chrome worn area won't rust. My seal kit cost me about $42 bucks. Local hydraulics shop was able to match up the individual seals by sight since the actual kit is no  longer available.

• Alc, boyscout862 and martinphillip03 have said thanks

#5 martinphillip03 OFFLINE  

martinphillip03
  • 2 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 10:28 PM

Can you verify the exact location of the leak? Is it a hose, the seal, or unknown?

I believe its from the seal. it caught me off guard tonight.  I will get a better look at it tomorrow. 

Marty

#6 martinphillip03 OFFLINE  

martinphillip03
  • 2 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 10:31 PM

If the cylinder is leaking from the seal around the rod, you will need to get the cylinder "repacked". The cylinder has to come apart and have all the internal seals replaced. You must make sure the rod is not pitted with rust, dinged up,etc. or it will destroy the new seals. If it is in poor shape, sometimes they can be repaired or re-chromed or simply replaced. I just recently did mine on my Bolens. Had to file/polish down some rust pitting and dings and some were filled with JB weld and sanded down with 1500 grit. Others were filled with braze and similarly polished down smooth. Silver brazing is also a good or perhaps better choice I would think but have not tried that option. In any event, if you elect to repair the dings pitts, and some of the chrome plating gets worn off, be sure to treat the exposed metal rod with phosphoric acid to "phosphotize" the steel which gives a small degree of corrosion protection. If the repair is in an area exposed with the rod extended, store it with the rod retracted so exposed/chrome worn area won't rust. My seal kit cost me about $42 bucks. Local hydraulics shop was able to match up the individual seals by sight since the actual kit is no  longer available.

Thanks for the advice. I believe its from the seal. Massive amount of oil is being leaked. I would say 1/2 cup at a time. I will inspect the rod.  

Thank you.

Marty

• KennyP said thank you

#7 martinphillip03 OFFLINE  

martinphillip03
  • 2 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 10:32 PM

Welcome to GTT. The manuals for that are in the Manuals Section. That is a nice machine, I have 2 of its sisters. Good Luck, Rick

Checked the manuals. Thats how I came up with the part name. 

Thanks,

Marty

• boyscout862 said thank you

#8 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,925 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 10:32 PM

If you look at it running, make sure you wear safety glasses.
  • boyscout862, backyardtinker and martinphillip03 have said thanks

#9 backyardtinker OFFLINE  

backyardtinker
  • Member No: 73578
  • 249 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted September 17, 2015 - 06:45 PM

If you look at it running, make sure you wear safety glasses.

Good point made there by Cat385B. Be very careful to never put any part of you body in the path of full/high pressure hydraulic fluid. Can penetrate the body and even sever limbs and cause severe injury or death.

• martinphillip03 said thank you