• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#16 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 08:22 PM

Million dollars, what would be the first thing that you would do with it?

I would payoff me and my families debts and help those closest to us.

If you won the Lottery and your winnings were ten million dollars, would you be happy and set for life? 

I would believe so for the most part. I would use what I need then put the rest back in savings and let it grow. 

If given the option of taking all of the money at once, or choosing to receive a check each week for $7,500.00, which would you choose? 

Thats a tough one. Id say if your saving every penny you could i would do the 7500 each week. That should be more than enough to pay for whats needed.

After receiving the winnings, would you put any of it away as a nest egg, or would you spend most of it buying things that you only wished that you could afford, or going places that you never thought you'd ever see?

I would 75% away as the nest egg and use only whats needed.

Is money very important to you and you want as much of it as you can get, or are you happy with just receiving the weekly paycheck that you get each week, and aren't interested in big money?

I would be happy with just the 7500 each week. Money cant buy you family or friends. You make those on your own.

If you were so down and out, would you accept handouts from others willing to help? If you are pretty well off, do you or would you help those in need? 

If I trusted a few close people then yes I would offer a small payout for them for their hard times. No need to selfish. Friends and family have always been there especially the close ones.

• johndeereelfman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#17 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,911 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 08:27 PM

I would take the money in one lump sum pay off my son's and my daughter's mortgages put money away for my grandchildren's education's and help people who go to bed hungry every night in our own country. I would also like to travel around the country RV style and maybe visit Europe.

#18 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 08:27 PM

On the 1 million I would make sure that my grand children were set for college. Then I would help the kids a little and then my bills. If enough left over to help, I would see if I could help my brothers and sisters.

10 million would probably be the same and then go to my inlaws to see who I could help. After that I would see that the wife and I were set for the rest of our lives by banking or investing wisely.

I would take the lump sum that way we could help our family quicker. It's a loos of money but it would be enough for me. After all that maybe I would finish off my garage and workshop so we could be warm and cozy while working in there.

Not big on extravagance for us. Simple is good. New car and truck maybe , maybe not.

Roger

#19 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,754 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 08:38 PM

You can keep my share, Troy. I'm ahead on the mortgage and am currently able to swing the good beer in the fridge. What more can I ask for?

#20 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 10:06 PM

With the million dollars, I would first build onto the house, our house is very small and there isn't enough room to anything without being in the way of others. I would also do home repairs because the old house is starting to need some. I would also look into buying a nice low priced simple new or close to new car. The newest vehicle I have ever owned is a '93 and it gets tiresome always working on them, trying to keep them going so I can get to work.

But I already promised my first million to my good friend (and neighbor) she has had it very hard since her husband (also was a great friend) had past away. She has a very hard time paying the bills and I am always wanting to help her (she is 75 years old) We help her as much as we can, I don't have any money to give, but we keep her 3 acre home stead mowed and we also help her with with snow removal and we haul wood into her house (she only heats with wood). We also help with her dog kennel and we take care of her dogs when she visits her son in NE. We never let her pay for anything, in exchange we use her shed in the winter to work on projects.

If I had 10 million, I don't know if it would be enough, I have a bad tendency to help anyone who needs help, even if it puts me in a tight spot. I wish I had the money to give to any and everyone who needs it. I wish I could reach in my pocket and pull out however much money I need to help someone. No matter if it's $10 or $10 thousand, I do know if I had the money, everyone in my local town wouldn't half to worry because I would be more then willing to give money to anyone.

The $7.500 a week would be more then I could ever spend, I live very, very basic and I don't need millions of dollars for my self. I think people have serious problems when they have millions and billions of dollars and they just want more money. I don't know why? what is wrong with people???.

I would take a hand out if I had no other way to turn, but it would be paid back, I don't make much money at my job, but I enjoy the work and there is nothing better then working with your friends and neighbor (different neighbor, not the one I help)

I just need to make it big playing guitar or bass (I love both), no one around here would half to worry.

Edited by BTS, September 17, 2015 - 04:48 PM.

• johndeereelfman, LilysDad and oldedeeres have said thanks

#21 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 11:00 PM

In no particular order--Pay off my house--that's all I owe for. Pay off my two sisters and little brothers bills. Make sure my brother has enough money to take care of his special needs daughter from now on. Cover college for my three boys. Get Momma and Daddy a new truck and car. Somehow get their light bill, phone bill and insurance bill sent to me. Help the church that I grew up in, my daddy's church and the one where I live now. Hunt and fish with my boys a little more. Take what's left and invest it so I don't have to work until I'm 70. My niece would be first. Then my parents. Lump sum because waiting for a weekly check would take too long for me to help everyone.

#22 zippy1 ONLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 11:22 PM

I would go to my neighbors and buy his woods so it would be attached to ours.

If you won the Lottery and your winnings were ten million dollars, would you be happy and set for life? 

Most definitely. Would never spend it, could live off the interest. But my big splurge would be a huge toy box, being I need a place for toys. There really isn't anything I need that I already don't have.

If given the option of taking all of the money at once, or choosing to receive a check each week for $7,500.00, which would you choose?

I would take it all at once, because I wouldn't trust them to continue paying if they went belly up. 

After receiving the winnings, would you put any of it away as a nest egg, or would you spend most of it buying things that you only wished that you could afford, or going places that you never thought you'd ever see?

I'd put it away and live off the interest. If something real bad happened to family or friend it would be there to help them.. There is no place I care to go, so that's not an issue.

Is money very important to you and you want as much of it as you can get, or are you happy with just receiving the weekly paycheck that you get each week, and aren't interested in big money?

Well sure money is very important, isn't it for everyone? You need it to pay for life. And yes I would like as much as I can, but know I'll never reach that point in my life.

If you were so down and out, would you accept handouts from others willing to help? If you are pretty well off, do you or would you help those in need?

Yes. and Yes, of course I would help those that I could.

I'll explain later on why I asked so many questions, but first I'd like to see what the general consensus is with the group. 

#23 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 11:46 PM

If I won a ton of money I would take every penny at once and buy Canadian gold maple leaf coins because I don't trust banks and after watching the broker piss away a lot of my IRA account I trust don't him much anymore. 

I don't owe anyone a dime just the monthly bills that my social insecurity pays and a couple bucks left over at the end of the month,(sometimes) 

I have been blessed with having a good wife and sons so there isn't much more I need ,sure there are a lot of things I would like but I don't really need. 

I would get new windows and siding on my house . Been wanting that for some time.

I wouldn't buy a new truck but I would get some new tires for my 95 GMC and get the dent in the door fixed. 

The Wife likes to travel and I like to stay home but she wouldn't mind traveling alone.I would go on the impossible quest to find an honest attorney to set up an air tight trust for the family. 

I would give money to favorite charities --The Salvation Army and the local food pantry.

If I had to ask someone for help for sure I would pay it back some how even if it meant selling some of my stuff.   

#24 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted September 17, 2015 - 02:21 AM

Perhaps I'd live like some elected officials and take lavish family trips along with my wife's 48 'attendants' and armed guards at great expense but with the big difference-  I'd pay for it myself!

Just kidding..  But it is nice to dream about what will most likely NOT HAPPEN to any of us.

A million dollars is enough $$ to set up a guaranteed monthly check for the rest of your life..    It will be a comfortable life with $$ to spare for giving to family and those in need as well.  The consensus of investors is that one mill is a good retirement target..  I'm quite a bit lower than that..  

I've personally known a few folks that have had that kind of windfall and pretty much pissed it away buying lots of stuff and also listening to thieves that promise great returns on investments that seem to go the other way after the $$ has changed hands..  I've also worked hard all my life for what I have and in the last several years risk losing it all due to medical issues.  In the end all you own is just...  stuff..  It's not about owning the best and the most like a lot of folks think..  It's about living a good life and enjoying and being thankful for what you have..   We've helped many people out over the years with $$, a place to stay, hot meals or just giving them the present of a smile & a chat..  

OR-->   I guess a private jet and a sports car would eat that mill right up.. :D

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, September 17, 2015 - 02:25 AM.

#25 DennyIN OFFLINE  

DennyIN
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 52096
  • 292 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted September 17, 2015 - 06:03 AM

invest a forth, share a fourth with family, donate a forth, and consider spending the last fourth on family wants (remodel bathroom, ceiling in garage, take a vacation etc.  

I believe so

$7500 a week. 

invest a forth, share a fourth with family, donate a forth, and consider spending the last fourth on family wants (remodel bathroom, ceiling in garage, take a vacation etc.

Getting by OK, no garage with a classic car or anything, but health is most important and OK. Not anticipating big money, never had big money, just something to daydream about. 

Yes I would accept handouts if down and out. Not pretty well off but do help with what I have when I can, mostly donate labor and sometimes cash if I have it (if is needed and appreciated). 

#26 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,518 Thanks
  • 3,394 posts

Posted September 17, 2015 - 06:18 AM

Without comment, I'm extremely surprised by a lot of the answers.

#27 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted September 17, 2015 - 07:18 AM

Pay off my mortgage.

Happy?  Money can't buy you happiness.  Set for life?  Yes.  65,000 would take care of all my debit.  The rest would be for things me and my family want to do.

I'd take the 7,500 a Week.

I'd set aside enough for my children to go to college without taking out loans.  I would not set them up for a free ride for life however, I would want them to experience life and the struggle.  I firmly believe the "struggle" makes us who we are.  I would invest, travel, buy stuff, and enjoy my life.

Is money personally important to me?  That's a tough question.  Does it buy my family the things we need?  Yes.  As I said above it doesn't make you happy.  I enjoy the "extras" I get to purchase but I don't need them to be happy.  I am happy with my paycheck now, 7,500 a week would make me jump for joy!

I've been at some rougher points in my life when I was starting out.  My dad has helped me a lot.  He is probably the only person who has ever given me money as an adult.  I always find some way to pay him back either in the money(which he never accepts) or I worked it off in some way.

Helping others?  I don't know that I have ever given anyone money.  I have bought groceries for a friend and his family but I left them on his porch because he never would accept the money.  I'm not one to donate to Charties because I feel they are scams. 

Edited by toomanytoys84, September 17, 2015 - 07:20 AM.

• johndeereelfman, WNYTractorTinkerer and oldedeeres have said thanks

#28 karl OFFLINE  

karl
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,062 Thanks
  • 787 posts

Posted September 17, 2015 - 07:46 AM

I hear costa rica is nice. I would move right out of this country!

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#29 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,446 Thanks
  • 3,995 posts

Posted September 17, 2015 - 11:31 AM

Hi Troy, I think life wouldn't be better, if you give me the money.

#30 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,879 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted September 17, 2015 - 12:17 PM

One million? I'd soc away a quarter of it in a current account--- no interest, no taxes. At my stage of life I don't expect to live more than ten years or so and that is all I'll need to maintain my way of life after I spend another quarter of the million on updating a few facilities around here--- the chicken house needs a new roof, etc. Then I'd take the other half million and give it to family and friends anonymously. Anything left over goes to my sons if I die before I get it spent.
If I won the ten million I'd be thrilled, more to give away anonymously to various causes. For instance, the local S.P.C.A., a million in trust--- they could count on the interest on the money for ongoing expenses but not touch the capital. That way they'd have an income they could count on every year. Other charities would get the same deal. Do I trust "the powers that be" to wisely handle a big windfall? Not a chance.
I'd take it all at once and use the no interest account for the stated reason.
On the big amount, it'd be a nest egg and then have fun dispersing the rest. And again, anonymously.
There is nothing I need beyond what I already have, a few things I'd like; the new chicken house roof comes to mind, lol. Mostly, I am happy with my life and will cope as things happen, but I do like to share what I have if possible.
Money is important to me only in that it supplies what I need--- can pay the power bill and buy feed for my creatures, etc. Money for it's own sake doesn't interest me. Material possessions don't matter to me and I don't believe in a free ride for anyone. I would help someone out but not pay their way. If at all possible any help given would be anonymous so that those receiving it would not feel indebted. When they are able they could "pay it forward" as they are able or see fit. Accept monetary help for myself? Don't know if I could do that---- would sooner go without or change my life. Stiff necked Olde thing, you know.
  • olcowhand, johndeereelfman and Bill 76 have said thanks