#1 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 07:03 PM

Million dollars, what would be the first thing that you would do with it?

If you won the Lottery and your winnings were ten million dollars, would you be happy and set for life? 

If given the option of taking all of the money at once, or choosing to receive a check each week for $7,500.00, which would you choose? 

After receiving the winnings, would you put any of it away as a nest egg, or would you spend most of it buying things that you only wished that you could afford, or going places that you never thought you'd ever see?

Is money very important to you and you want as much of it as you can get, or are you happy with just receiving the weekly paycheck that you get each week, and aren't interested in big money?

If you were so down and out, would you accept handouts from others willing to help? If you are pretty well off, do you or would you help those in need? 

I'll explain later on why I asked so many questions, but first I'd like to see what the general consensus is with the group. 

• MH81, hamman, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,564 Thanks
  • 3,944 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 07:12 PM

What I would do with that much money..... Pay off the mortgage and work shorter weeks. Start doing more mission work. And yes, though it's very hard on the ego, I could take a handout to give good for my family.
  • EricFromPa, johndeereelfman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 07:13 PM

On the million dollars....pay off the farm and what little personal debt I have.

YES, send me ten million and I'll show you I can be set for life!

I'd take it all at once, as I'd not trust them to pay my family if something happened to me.  Otherwise, a weekly check would be fine.

I would build my wife a new modest home, her a new car, then the rest can just keep us comfortable in a good secure account.

I would hate taking a handout, but for my family's sake, if needed, I'd take it, but I would have to pay it back when on my feet.

I'm not what you can call well off, but I already help others when I can.

• grnspot110, EricFromPa, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#4 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,652 Thanks
  • 7,677 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 07:18 PM

MMmmmmmmm. . . .   Let's see. How much is your cut elf?   I guess my dream is to have a cabin on a mountain top in an isolated place. That probably wouldn't cost the whole mil. If someone needed something - sure, I'd give as long as they weren't relatives.

• EricFromPa, KennyP, johndeereelfman and 2 others have said thanks

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 07:21 PM

I'd set myself up to live well and put the rest back for the kids  (accounts set up with their names on them)

• EricFromPa, johndeereelfman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,221 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 07:24 PM

I have what I need, the money would pay of the house and other debt then go in the bank and I would continue to work.  probably a change in career to do something I like a little more.

I would take a lump sum and be set for life.

I grew up on the 'system' as it is so described and have had to have handout in the past, worked my *&s of for all my adult life to get of the system so I would have an extremely hard time taking handouts.  I could if I had to but it would be hard to go back to that.

Pete

#7 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 07:38 PM

I would get a new set of wipers for my truck.

Seriously, I would pay the new sanctuary off that our church just built.  Give some to each of my girls.  Maybe a nice check for the local VFD (come on, those folks deserve it) and invest the rest if there's anything left.  Then I would go to work the next day... well, maybe the day after.

I would take the full amount and then see above.

Not interested in big money as it only brings problems.  If I have enough to support my life style with some left over to help someone out, I'm happy.

I'm with Daniel on taking a hand out.  The one and only time I got laid off in my married life we had bills out the wazoo, the economy wasn't the greatest and we had next to nothing int he bank.  My wife wanted to sign up for food stamps but I told her no.  God took care of us to the point that we never missed a bill and I had to get back to work to get some rest.  God is good.

I really can't do much for people but what I can do, I do.

• EricFromPa, johndeereelfman, LilysDad and 2 others have said thanks

#8 Bud OFFLINE  

Bud

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 650
  • 341 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 07:56 PM

The Lord has so blessed me in my life, you take the money.

• EricFromPa, johndeereelfman, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#9 camdigger OFFLINE  

camdigger
  • Member No: 70250
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 07:56 PM

At this point in my life, I think I'd pay off what little debt we have and retire if I won even a million dollars. I'd consider doing some charitable work, charitable donations to both my church of choice and worthy charities, some volunteer work, and possibly some missions work.

I'd also make sure the kids were OK. Not given a complete free ride, just OK. Long story....

I'd actually prefer the regular payment thing. Reason being that I've had some disappointing experiences putting $ away. Seems the banks always find a away to chisel away at the funds on deposit, the larger the deposit/investment, the more creative they get...sigh.

More $, wouldn't' change the plan much.
  • EricFromPa, johndeereelfman, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#10 twostacks OFFLINE  

twostacks

• Member No: 6470
  • 447 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 07:59 PM

I agree with everyone else. I'd pay off my debt, make life more comfy for my close family and as many of my extended family as I reasonably could. I'd take a lump sum and squirrel it away until it was needed. I have accepted help from family when my wife and I were young and just getting started but I made sure it was paid back.

#11 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 08:06 PM

you can keep it, money is the root of all evil, more money is just more evil. I'll get by fine without it.

• grnspot110, johndeereelfman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#12 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,509 Thanks
  • 3,386 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 08:07 PM

If I won ten million, I'd give a million or two to some kids that need a Christmas, need a full belly, a night of warm, safe, sound sleep and a hug. Then I'd blow the rest on stuff that would seem frivolous by comparison.
  • johndeereelfman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#13 Littledeere OFFLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 08:07 PM

The first one is easy payoff all my and my wife's bills

I would hope to be set for life and try to spend it wisely

I would take the money in one lump sum

I would put some in a retirement fund  , I would buy some things I could only wish to buy before, And I think I would do a little more traveling

Money is important but there are other things in life

I would do my best to not get there far down and out but I would take help to provide for my family

Troy do I need to ask you to adopt me ??? :smilewink:

#14 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 08:12 PM

1 million?

I would get my teeth fixed 1st off.Then put a new roof on the house.It needs it BAD.

10 million?

I would definitely be set for life.

$7,500.00 a week

is WAY more than enough.If you take the 10 Million all at once Uncle Sam will more than likely want it's 30%+

put any of it away as a nest egg?

I would keep at very least 20-30% locked up in a savings account

are you happy with just receiving the weekly paycheck?

Yes $7,500 a Week is more than I could possibly spend.

If you were so down and out, would you accept handouts from others willing to help? If you are pretty well off, do you or would you help those in need?

Yes If someone was willing to give me a lump some of money I would take it BUT I would Work it off if at all possible.I've been disabled and unable to Work full time for a very long time.I would help everyone that I know that is in need Family will always come 1st though.

If I won the lottery I would buy a slightly smaller house for me and Mom that is not in Town with around 20 acres of woods and a nice big garage.Then I would pay off both of my brothers House payments.And buy mom a new or slightly used car.She's been eyeballing one of those Mini Coopers for a while  :rolling:

Then the Tractor fun begins.I would buy Every old GT within 100 miles of me or until I have enough to keep me busy for a while.I just love working on them.Calms my nerves when I go out and tinker with stuff.

Edited by EricFromPa, September 16, 2015 - 08:17 PM.

#15 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,652 Thanks
  • 7,677 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 08:21 PM

When Illinois first came out with a lottery, my wife got excited and started playing it. That is until she found out I was praying for her to lose. Just what Lauber said. The people I see who win it, blow it all on ridiculous stuff (red velvet furniture and ugly paintings) and wind up in debt.