Pushing snow on an old LT hydro ?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 3v0 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 26648
  • 79 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 02:23 PM

Most winters it does not snow much or often.  If we really get hit I can dig out with the loader tractor. But it would be nice to have a tractor with a blade to cleanup the light snows we normally get.

I have a snow blade but no mount or subframe which I plan to build now that I can weld somewhat.  

I have 2 non working mid 90s Murray LTs that I am tinkering with.  

46904X92A  1996 model  18/46 (18HP Briggs Opposed Twin)

42910X92A  1995 model  14.5/42  (now has a Briggs 18HP Opposed Twin)

Not sure if I will end up with 1 or 2 tractors when the smoke settles.  They have hydros with a foot pedal which would be great for the back and forth nature of moving snow.  

Building a subframe that pushes the blade from the rear axle should solve the frame problem.  With that the hydro would be the weak link.  I am not sure which hydro they use yet. The 18/46 tractor came with 20"x8"x8" rear tires.   I have noticed that some LT hydros are spec'ed to use 18" tires max so either Murray exceeded specs or this is a slightly better LT hydro.

Is this an OK idea or is it asking for trouble.

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,515 Thanks
  • 7,378 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 03:15 PM

Excellant question but there is no right answer. It is going to depend alot on how much snow, how rough a driveway and how long a driveway. I've seen LTs similar to yours that plowed for 6 or 7 years. The decks rotted out so they were junked. No idea what it did to the transaxles.

I would say go for it. Snow plowing on a smooth driveway is fun and easy. Several suggestions. Make sure the plow blade is spring loaded and tripps relatively easy to protect the tractor. Tire chains for the rear tires. I've picked up old car chains for cheap and just cut them down. Lights working and alternator charging. Insulated coveralls for the operator.  Figure out your plow pattern ahead of time to allow for a buildup of snow windrows. Allways try to plow downhill.

Downside: once you have it running right and cleared a few 4" snowfalls you will want a bigger and better machine. Have fun for now.

In the manuals section is a set of three manuals to cover most MTD tractors. I think it is in the group "others". Good Luck, Rick

Try   http://gardentractor...r_key=all&st=30     and    http://gardentractor...r_key=all&st=60

Edited by boyscout862, September 16, 2015 - 03:25 PM.

• propane1 said thank you

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 03:20 PM

I will say it first, you would be better off with a GT. I have pushed snow with a lawn tractor so will say it can be done.
I have a néw blade for a JD 160,165'170,175,180,185 and am looking for one, not so much to plow with as to haul 10 miles to mow two lots I own. The lighter machine would haul easier. And I know people who have plowed snow with those lawn tractors.
You more than likely will run out of traction before you damage the hydro, especially since it is belt drive.
You will need to ballast the LT and run chains. That is where you could get into trouble?
I once put 300 lbs of lead on a 12 hp gear drive MTD, made a set of cut down car chains on and pushed a 200 ft drive two winters before I broke it. You mention a subframe.
I went the cheap and dirty route and took a channel iron, mounted it to the mower mounts, cut a relief for the pulley stack and bolted the back to the trailer hitch

Do so at your own risk,while I know it can be done. I will not accept responsibility if you break something.

Edited by JD DANNELS, September 16, 2015 - 03:25 PM.

#4 tater195 OFFLINE  

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,258 Thanks
  • 897 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 03:27 PM

Gear or hydro wont make as big of a difference as axle size. If it has the wimpy 5/8 or 3/4 axles and you run chains, they will snap an axle.

#5 3v0 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 26648
  • 79 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 08:08 PM

OK thanks guy that is what I needed to hear.    I have a CC682 in stable with poor compression on one cylinder. See if it is strong enough as is to plow snow with.   Maybe pull the heads and check it out.  Add it to the list ;)

Edited by 3v0, September 16, 2015 - 08:17 PM.

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,692 Thanks
  • 28,336 posts

Posted September 17, 2015 - 06:25 AM

If you go ith the LT, only ballast the tires, don't add to the tractor.
It will ruin the bushings and then the case of the tranny.

#7 backwoods OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8613
  • 2,049 Thanks
  • 2,429 posts

Posted September 17, 2015 - 08:00 AM

Try plowing with the mtd this winter an work on the cub if you have an indoor space to do so over winter an then use the next year.

#8 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,174 Thanks
  • 2,254 posts

Posted September 17, 2015 - 01:14 PM

LT Hydro plowing? they could plow a couple inches I suppose.The pump won't hold up though.

My neighbor had a JD 165 hydro and mowed with it for many years.He decided to put a plow up on it to clear his paved driveway.The pump got weak on it before winter ended.He brang it over to me this spring and I changed the fluid and filter in it but she was done for.Found quite a bit of shiny metal in the fluid.

Changing fluid and filter helped and it almost made it through the mowing season before it quit moving all together.

Need any parts?He's looking to sell it now. :rolling: Deck is nice body is nice engine runs good but a little hard to start.Might have a weak coil.

Hey I had an old Craftsman 11hp 5 speed that had a rotted deck and smoked quite a bit.And I needed to move my brothers little Toyota truck on 35" tires.It pulled it fine on pavement Even up hill.That is until I hit a small patch of gravel and spun 1 tire.It caught and instantly blew the bull gear out the bottom of the transaxle.

If your tractor was a 4,5,6 speed it could plow up to a foot of snow if it's nice fluffy stuff or around 4-6 inches max of wet stuff.

#9 Natureboy OFFLINE  

• Member No: 49649
  • 70 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted September 17, 2015 - 02:36 PM

Fill the tires and run it till it drops.