#1 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 05:35 AM

Title says it all. I am looking for a consensus on who uses what and what works best. Thinking about getting one for use in the garage and to carry in my truck.
Pete
  • Jazz said thank you

#2 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 949 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 05:42 AM

this should be interesting as there is always a large pile of various brands at scrap yard. I generally have a extra deep cycle in garage.

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 05:44 AM

it will be interesting to see what members are using . We have them at work and I'll get the  brand for you , they are the professional types ( read $$$ )   I don't have one at home myself . I do have an old truck group 31 battery that I took from work when we changed out a set of 3 , one battery was bad so we replaced all since they were already almost 3 years old ,  I kept the best for myself and that's my make shift jump start ox but would like one but I'm soooo cheap lol

• HANKG said thank you

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 06:12 AM

Like JAZZ said, there are a lot of various brands in the scrap pile.  They usually have a bunch of other stuff tied in to them that you don't need, like cigarette lighter output, lights, air compressor that take forever to pump a bicycle tire.  Get a quality deep cycle battery and a decent pair of jumper cables and you have it.  I have had 4 different brands and that only lasted 3 years max and that was a B&D.  Others were the cheaper Traveling Tool brand and they lasted about a year.  All my equipment with batteries are kept in a building with power, so a couple battery chargers around will keep everything going.  I don't have one now and don't intend to buy another one.

• KennyP and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 06:50 AM

I had bought a HF two years ago and at first, it was great.
Before that, we had bought one that lasted15 years. Company seemed to be unavailable locally anymore.

They are ow available at TSC again, so I bought one. It's already surpassing my expectations for both power and runtime.
I hope it lasts 15 years like the last one.

I am looking for the product on their site
  • Alc and Talntedmrgreen have said thanks

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 06:55 AM

Ok, our is last years model, it doesn't have the light and I hope the rest isn't "new and improved"
http://www.tractorsu...er-jump-starter
  • Alc, Cvans, CRFarnsworth and 2 others have said thanks

#7 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 07:02 AM

A jump pack is a lot handier than lugging around a big ol battery and cables. I use mine a LOT. I run my trailer winch off it, vs maintaining and mounting a battery for the trailer, jump plenty of tractors, a vehicle now and then, and use it camping and boating to run 12V items like a pump for inflatable/floating toys etc. It gets constant use to test tractor items...lights, starters etc. My wife is a research nut when it comes to buying things over $5, and she got me this one...I've used it for 3 years+ with no loss of performance, but had two units previously that were box store buys, and they didn't last half this long.

http://www.amazon.co...4643.1442404287

(Picture was too big to post)

What I like about it...rugged, slim for storage in trailer toolbox or truck...I even set it beside my foot on a tractor running board to run into the field and use. It has fallen from my tailgate more than once and suffers no failure. It has more power than you really need, which is always great. Long, heavy cables and clamps. No frills like a pump etc...I have used the light, which is protected nicely from damage. It has a male prong charging port so you can charge it using any old extension cord, vs some silly charger and proprietary cord that you would no doubt leave at home when you need it. Charge indicator is 'analog' vs some fancy digital or light indicator display. I rarely plug it in...it carries a charge forever, and spends winters out in the cold. If it died or was destroyed, I would re-buy this unit. A good deep cycle costs much more than this.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• Alc, Cvans, CRFarnsworth and 6 others have said thanks

#8 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,770 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 09:18 AM

I bought a cheap($20) one on sale at Ocean State Job Lot seven years ago. It has started cars on several occassions and many tractors. The light has been handy and I've used 12v accessories off of it. I use it and recharge it atleast once a month whether I need to or not. The first of each month is "battery day", charge all batteries that are sitting around. The key to rechargeables is to use and charge them. Good Luck, Rick
  • MH81, Alc, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#9 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 01:09 PM

I bought a Good Die Hard and paid like $65 for it, thinking a little better case and clamps. BUT, one day rolling around in truck to show, had a cord stuck into it and broke the charge ears off. figured get parts from Sears. Well, they showed unit, parts diagram and all, but offered NO parts for it at all! Epay had none like it. One said was right, bought, was totally wrong. I ripped out all the guts, direct hooked up batt to switch and now can charge it with reg battery charger. Is pretty good for awhile. They have lots of power for a little battery and seem to last on charge. Darn thing was Still made in China and no support. Won't spend big money on one made there in future. Think they are a Chinese throw-away tool like the others. Bet there isn't a US made one available. Anyone ever see one?

#10 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,309 Thanks
  • 936 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 02:45 PM

I had one that wasnt charging right. I hooked it to a charged battery then hooked the charger to that. It worked until I had a chance to find out why it wasnt charging. The socket on the charger was rusty and I just happened to have a few extra 12v adapters that fit. I have had it for over 3 years. The lighter power socket is handy for running radios, phone charger and spot lights on the boat. 

#11 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 04:11 PM

Anyone use one of these ?  I kind of like the idea but don't know if it will hold up for the long run. http://www.ebay.com/...sd=262039510309

• Jazz said thank you

#12 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,309 Thanks
  • 936 posts

Posted September 17, 2015 - 08:07 AM

never tried one. I like the "antigravity battery" part. I need one of those for the boat, I get tendinitis from lifting the heavy deepcycle batteries. 

#13 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 949 posts

Posted September 17, 2015 - 12:52 PM

I can't find much in the way of 3rd party reviews on the antigravity battery. Interesting for sure.  I will continue to cart my deep cycle around until i see some glowing reports from real people,,,not sales staff..