• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 timothy OFFLINE  

timothy

• Member No: 2587
  • 0 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted April 11, 2011 - 08:18 PM

1320 cub i don't know anything about hydro trannys but it seems like something is not dissingageing very hard to crank over its got a 12.5 kohler on it but again my fortay is gear driven and Briggs and stratton

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 11, 2011 - 08:22 PM

Other then a bad battery or the hydro not being in neutral it shouldn't crank over slow. Have you checked the cable connections and the ground? Bad or loose connections will make it crank slow. I would also double check the linkages for the hydro to make sure it returns to neutral. Also make sure the transmission isn't overfull. Could also replace the oil filter for the tranny.
  • timothy said thank you

#3 tex tractor jack OFFLINE  

tex tractor jack

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1854
  • 41 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted April 11, 2011 - 08:36 PM

Does it have a compression release on the motor it may be not operating properly.

good luck
Jack
  • timothy said thank you

#4 timothy OFFLINE  

timothy

• 0 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted April 11, 2011 - 09:34 PM

is the hydro supposed to return to neutral on its own or do you have to select it because i am able to put it in neutral when the motor tuns it seems like its spinning something else to which i would think is rear end parts...... have you ever cranked a motor over with blades engaged on accident it acts like that and when pushing the tractor you have to open the release valve . why if its in neutral?

#5 timothy OFFLINE  

timothy

• 0 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted April 11, 2011 - 09:34 PM

don't know but took plug out and same thing

#6 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,300 Thanks
  • 2,334 posts

Posted April 12, 2011 - 10:17 AM

Does it creep forward or reverse when you try to start it?
If it does then the linkage in the dash for the controls may be bent slightly.

You can adjust the linkage by removing the black plastic cowl where the hydro release leaver is.

Did you check the Oil in the engine to see if the carb float may have malfunctioned and filled the block full of gasoline?
Lock the E-Brake on and try to spin the engine by hand.It should turn easy till it hits the compression stroke.Then it will be a little hard to spin over for a second and then easy again.This is to check to see if the engine may be partly seized.

If these all check out you may be in need of a new starter.
I happen to have a 15hp kohler command that needs bored but it's not worth it IMO.I picked up another engine for $50 (it's a 16.5hp briggs) so I'm going to part the Kohler out.
The starters should be the same but you might have to swap the gear out on the top.I'm not sure if they used the same flywheel.
PM me if you need it I'll let the starter go for $20 + shipping