16 replies to this topic

#1 rustyoldjunk ONLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 01:50 PM

Being side tracked more than usual with these old trucks this year has sure slowed down tractor projects. I have a hi volume oil pump to put in the blue Chevy that I just bought and now I went out and bought a 90 Ford F250 with a BOSS V plow. It has belonged to a buddy of mine for the last 10 years and will need a little TLC. Its in overall good condition for a plow truck. He stopped using it a couple of years ago when he upgraded to a newer Ford,so it has sat for a couple of years. It needs a starter to get it going along with fluids,filters and greasing. It has typical cracked exhaust manifolds (and needs exhaust). So the tractor projects continue to wait...I will start a new thread with pictures when I bring the truck home. Hopefully this weekend.

• Gtractor and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#2 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,115 Thanks
  • 3,205 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 03:16 PM

Picture. Noel
  • rustyoldjunk said thank you

#3 rustyoldjunk ONLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 03:40 PM

Picture. Noel

As stated in the post. Pictures when I bring it home this weekend.... :poke: 

• propane1 said thank you

#4 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • 6,115 Thanks
  • 3,205 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 04:55 PM

Sorry, I didn't read the post. Just saw F 250 with plow and didn't see a picture. My son bought one a little while ago with a plow, and was curious what yours looked like. Again sorry, stupid me, Noel

#5 rustyoldjunk ONLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 07:38 PM

Sorry, I didn't read the post. Just saw F 250 with plow and didn't see a picture. My son bought one a little while ago with a plow, and was curious what yours looked like. Again sorry, stupid me, Noel

No problem Noel,I love using the little poke you in the eye icon... :smilewink: Didn't you guys pick up a hi-boy F250,a 69 or 70 model ? Cool old trucks,I had a bunch of them back in the day. mostly 73-77 models ( early model year 77 was the last for them). This is a 1990 351 auto overdrive HD.

Edited by rustyoldjunk, September 15, 2015 - 08:11 PM.

#6 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 08:03 PM

I hope everyone keeps buying snow plows. Maybe we won't get snow if everyone is prepared.
  • rustyoldjunk and propane1 have said thanks

#7 rustyoldjunk ONLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 08:12 PM

I hope everyone keeps buying snow plows. Maybe we won't get snow if everyone is prepared.

And if we do then you will have people near by to plow you out....for a small fee,of course.... :poke: :smilewink:

#8 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • 6,115 Thanks
  • 3,205 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 08:37 PM

Yes 69. Still needs some work. Will be waiting for your picture. And will read the post this time. Noel

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

#9 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 360 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 08:42 PM

One thing to check with it being a plow truck is the transfer case. Most all 4X4 trucks with automatic transmission have a chain drive in the transfer case. The working of the plow will stretch this chain to the point of breaking. If the chain breaks while working it usually causes more damage then if it is replaced before it breaks. 

Charlie

#10 rustyoldjunk ONLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 09:04 PM

One thing to check with it being a plow truck is the transfer case. Most all 4X4 trucks with automatic transmission have a chain drive in the transfer case. The working of the plow will stretch this chain to the point of breaking. If the chain breaks while working it usually causes more damage then if it is replaced before it breaks. 

Charlie

I agree Charlie but going farther most all pickup trucks built since the mid 80's auto or manual have a aluminum Borg Warner chain driven case. It matches the newer trucks IMHO,everything is lighter,breaks,rusts away,or just wares out faster. The old NP205 gear drive cases were great but they are pretty much a thing of the past in pick ups. Although I have had some of the old NP 203 transfers cases stretch and wear their chains to the point of slipping on the sprockets making popping sounds every time you tried to take off in some of my old 70's 4x4's years ago. Normally when buying a plow truck the first thing I do is check the frame out for rust thru and cracks. Next is take the plow ff and sell it. Then go thru the frontend (a plow is very hard on the steering and frontend). This time though I am keeping the plow with the truck and don't have to go thru the frontend. He went thru the front spending $1000 before he parked it. He also replaced the transmission.

Edited by rustyoldjunk, September 15, 2015 - 09:21 PM.

#11 Grumpy OFFLINE  

Grumpy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 440
  • 642 Thanks
  • 578 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 08:13 AM

COOL!

#12 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 08:26 AM

Be sure to post pictures of the mounting and the lift. I'm getting ready to build a V plow for our F600 dump truck.

#13 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 12:05 PM

It must be a plow truck year all though I feel like the odd man out mines a Chevyuploadfromtaptalk1442423087023.jpg
  • rustyoldjunk and propane1 have said thanks

#14 rustyoldjunk ONLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 12:06 PM

Be sure to post pictures of the mounting and the lift. I'm getting ready to build a V plow for our F600 dump truck.

Will do BTS. Just let me know what you need for pictures once I start posting them.

#15 rustyoldjunk ONLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 12:09 PM

It must be a plow truck year all though I feel like the odd man out mines a Chevyattachicon.gifIMG_20150523_174220219.jpg

Don't feel like the odd man out nbent. Looks like we all have vintage American iron. Yours is a solid axle truck too. My choice over IFS any day. The old Chevys are good trucks.