OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 11:20 AM

We all know that Bolens did some 'odd things' over the years and here's another one I found.

I was mounting a 3-pt hitch on the HT20D the other day, and since I know that the hitch on the tractor interferes with the sway chains I took if off.

I noticed that the danged thing is asymmetrical!  Now I did the same thing when I put a 3-pt on the HDT1000 but really didn't pay attention to the hitch when I removed it.

So, I checked it out, and danged if it wasn't the same.  Now I'm like !?!?!?!?!?!?

Here's a pic of the hitch so you can see what I'm talking about:

100_5770.JPG

You can see that the angles on each side are different.

Here's a pic of both hitches back to back and it really shows up here:
100_5771.JPG

So, why did Bolens do that?

Was it to accommodate an attachment of some sort maybe?

Let's have your best guesses  :D :D :D

ETA:

I checked the various parts manuals, and it appears that it was only the HT series that used this hitch.  The 1250-1886-04 used a different hitch

Here's a pic of the hitch on one of my 1886-01 tractors so that you can see the difference:

100_4081.jpg

Edited by OldBuzzard, September 15, 2015 - 11:29 AM.

#2 Paulgo OFFLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 02:06 PM

That IS odd. Not much of an offset, but obviously had a reason for being. Love to know what you find out! Paul

#3 nyrobbie77 ONLINE  

nyrobbie77

• Member No: 2163
  • 90 Thanks
  • 75 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 03:56 PM

not sure on the offset, but the bolt spacing between the 1250-1886 and the HT rear ends is also different.  The "tongue" on the  1250-1886 is also considerably shorter than on the latter units. 

Maybe they had different specs for export vs domestic?  Supplier change perhaps?

Which one is which?  Is the older hitch the centered or the offset?  If the original design was centered, maybe they offset it later on to clear an attachment. 

• chieffan said thank you

#4 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 04:58 PM

The two hitches in the pic are identical.  I just put them back to back so that you could see that, and to show the offset.

• chieffan said thank you

#5 drbish OFFLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,162 Thanks
  • 1,162 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 05:42 PM

If you put them back to back are they the same?

if you turn one opposite the other is what i mean?one would bolt facing in and the other out

Edited by drbish, September 15, 2015 - 05:46 PM.

#6 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 06:25 PM

I did put them back to back for that pic.

Here are both side by side so the you can see that they are identical.

100_5774.JPG

They were like this for that pic:
100_5776.JPG

#7 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 07:10 PM

Its not that odd there all made that way on the HTs! I believe its for the hole to be centered on the tractor to the back of the tractor. 

• Bolens 1000 and Canawler have said thanks

#8 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 07:16 PM

Monday morning and Joe is suppose to set up the stamping die for that batch of hitch plates.

Now Joe 's best buddy from high school was in town over the weekend and they hit every bar in town Sunday night so poor Joe isn't feeling too good this Monday morning.

His vision keeps blurring in and out as he sets the guide for feeding the strap steel into the punch press.

2/3 of the run is already stamped out before the foreman sees that the  hitch plates are off center and he calls out the boss to take a look at it.

The boss says they will still work just fine like that and it will cost too much to re-stamp them and most likely nobody is going to see the difference anyway so run the rest of them out.

But just to make sure this doesn't happen again, fire that damn Joe.

• wilberj, Alc and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#9 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 07:21 PM

Monday morning and Joe is suppose to set up the stamping die for that batch of hitch plates.

Now Joe 's best buddy from high school was in town over the weekend and they hit every bar in town Sunday night so poor Joe isn't feeling too good this Monday morning.

His vision keeps blurring in and out as he sets the guide for feeding the strap steel into the punch press.

2/3 of the run is already stamped out before the foreman sees that the  hitch plates are off center and he calls out the boss to take a look at it.

The boss says they will still work just fine like that and it will cost too much to re-stamp them and most likely nobody is going to see the difference anyway so run the rest of them out.

I always say its the Friday after lunch story. They don't care what happens they just waiting for 5 when the weekend starts. 

• Bolens800uk said thank you

#10 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 08:23 PM

Are the axles really diff lengths and this keeps it in center then? OR, makes the PLOW move over to one side for correct travel? OR, I have no idea ? Hee! :smilewink: :poke:

#11 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 09:07 PM

Are the axles really diff lengths and this keeps it in center then? OR, makes the PLOW move over to one side for correct travel? OR, I have no idea ? Hee! :smilewink: :poke:

You would have no Idea. 

#12 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 53758
  • 376 Thanks
  • 392 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 10:27 AM

I think your on to something. It's funny that I was thinking the same thing!
  • Alc said thank you

#13 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 11:20 AM

I believe its for the hole to be centered on the tractor to the back of the tractor. 

+1

The tongue on my Troy-bilt / Duratrac is the same way.  The rear end is offset to one side and the hole ends up in the center.