18 replies to this topic

#1 webtechlin OFFLINE  

webtechlin
  • Member No: 62438
  • 18 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted September 14, 2015 - 11:16 PM

Hey everyone.

I've got a few questions regarding this type of ignition coil.  I purchased one from a dealer to replace the points, condenser, and old coil on my 1979 Simplicity Sovereign 7116.

Since install, it always started hard, and by hard i mean lots of turning over before it fired.  When it did start, it ran pretty good.  Seemed a little low on power, but I could cut lawn and till with it.  As of late, it's been getting harder and harder to start.  To the point where I give up.

Here's everything I did.

Replaced old coil with new Magnatron coil.

I think the kill switch wire was hooked up properly as turning the key off would kill the engine.

Tested for spark by removing spark plug and grounding to a head fin.  Very small spark, if any.  It seemed that some engine revolutions did not even produce a spark.

Screwed in spark plug and tried to start...no dice.

Tested for spark again, nothing at all.

Tested plug on my Ariens GT18 (automotive coil type iginition), grounded to frame and had great spark.

Removed kill wire from terminal on new coil and tested for spark on the Simplicity again...nothing.

Is the coil bad?  Magnet on flywheel holds a screwdriver out straight, so I think the magnet is fine.

If the coil is bad, and I purchase a new one, how exactly should I hook up the kill wire?

Currently, there's a wire coming from the key switch down to a small plastic tab on the points cover.  Then another wire (on the same termial) going up to the kill switch connector that plugs into the coil. There's a second wire in that kill switch connector that I have grounded to the engine.

Sorry for the long post...from everything I read, this Magnatron coil is supposed to be pretty dependable and produce better spark than points and condenser.

Thanks in advance.

Ryan

#2 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,462 Thanks
  • 1,608 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 12:56 AM

I've never tried the magnatron on set up, but I have a few Simplicity/ Allis tractors that have the original coil/points set ups. These are the old Briggs model 19, 19d, 23D, and one has a 16hp Briggs from '71, don't know the model number off hand. They all start easily and run great. The original set ups are reliable if everything is in good condition. I can't help you out with your problem, but I see no reason to not use the original coil/points set up.

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 03:04 AM

Wonder if it is about magnet polarity on your flywheel?  Some coils require opposite polarity to work right and get timing correct. Diff flywheels have one, or double  or polarity switched magnets. I bought one of those newer coils with the electronics built in for older Briggs and it did fire, but never at right time. Didn't seem to want to work. There has been some issues talked about on here, maybe in the tech section?

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 07:00 AM

Always hard to diagnose without being there ....

If it were me I'd go back to basics and keep the OEM coil and points/condenser setup, they are very reliable

#5 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 08:31 AM

Always hard to diagnose without being there ....
If it were me I'd go back to basics and keep the OEM coil and points/condenser setup, they are very reliable

Yeah totally agree there is nothing wrong with points and condensers. How many enines I have seen with some new style coil hacked in. I convert them back to original

#6 Bud W ONLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 228 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 09:14 AM

I think you need to have a flywheel that has the trigger magnet in it for the magnetron.

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 09:28 AM

ACHomesteadter is the expert on these. He helped me several years ago. The flywheel has to be the right one and it has to be polarized the correct way. I hope he comes by to help. Good Luck, rick

#8 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 10:39 AM

Hope this helps. Shared from a friend of mine. It old info, but may shed some light on the situation.

Discussion Thread

Response (Michael-B & S)

03/11/2005 03:17 PM

Jack,

Thank you for your inquiry.

The post is correct. The electronic ignition does not work well in conjunction with the existing polarity in these engines’ flywheels. Typically this happens on older (1981 and older) horizontal shaft cast iron engines with model numbers beginning in 23, 24, 30 and 32.

If you have one of these engine models and wish to install an ignition kit, we will re-polarize your flywheel and send it back to you, free of charge.

When shipping your flywheel, package it properly (we have received several of these already broken from shipment because they were not packaged properly), with a short note describing what you need, the Model, Type and Code of the engine, and a return address.

Send to:

Briggs & Stratton Corp.
Menomonee Falls Distribution Center
FLYWHEEL REPOLARIZATION
W148 N9121 Patrita Dr. (Dock 23)
Menomonee Falls, WI 53051 2272

Please keep in mind, we CANNOT return ship to a PO BOX (we need an actual address to ship to).

If you have any further questions, feel free to update this e-mail.

Sincerely,
Mike
Briggs & Stratton
eCustomer Support Representative

#9 webtechlin OFFLINE  

webtechlin
  • 18 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 10:50 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone.

sacsr, my model # begins with 34, so I don't know if the magnet needs to get re-polarized.  According to my local small engine shop, they never re-polarize the flywheel magnet when doing this.

Also,

The reason I wanted to go to this ignition was because I was burning up condensers every few months.  I checked every wire I could find for a short but couldn't find one.  Not sure what else could be causing the condensers to go bad.

Appreciate the help everyone.

#10 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 02:48 PM

Yup got a suburban 15 one time because of that, po got tired of messing with, I just went back to points they really are no big deal to maintain.

#11 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,011 Thanks
  • 836 posts

Posted September 20, 2015 - 11:27 AM

Hi is your engine a single cylinder cast6 iron B&S? If so its a 32xxx series engine and a magnetron coil will not work well without repolarizing the flywheel magnets. I can't find anything on a B&S 34 series. 

#12 webtechlin OFFLINE  

webtechlin
  • 18 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted September 20, 2015 - 12:37 PM

My local small engine shop had to pull up the model and type of this engine on microfiche.  The put a spark tester on it, plenty of spark.  Good compression, and it's getting fuel.  About the only other thing I can think of is a sheared flywheel key causing it to be out of time.

Could that explain why sometimes it would start and run ok and most times it wouldn't start?  Could the starter actually spin the flywheel on the shaft getting it out of time?  And then after numerous attempts to start it, the starter would have spun the flywheel all the way back around to the correct location allowing it to fire and run?

Seems unlikely, but I've never dealt with a sheared flywheel key.

Thanks again,

Ryan

#13 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,011 Thanks
  • 836 posts

Posted September 20, 2015 - 01:04 PM

So what is the model number having spark does no good if its not at the right time. No once the key is sheared its not going run until the key is replaced and no way it will spin all the way around. Post the engine model number

Edited by MNGB, September 20, 2015 - 01:07 PM.

#14 webtechlin OFFLINE  

webtechlin
  • 18 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted September 21, 2015 - 02:55 PM

Model = 326437

Type =  0315-01

Code = 7906281

Attached Thumbnails

• engine.jpg

#15 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,011 Thanks
  • 836 posts

Posted September 21, 2015 - 05:52 PM

Hi webtechlin, your engine will not run right with a magnetron ignition without repolarizing the flywheel magnets, the 32xxx series engines that can be converted to magnetron start with a date code 81080100 thur 85012200, B&S use to repolarize the flywheels for free you paid for shipping to and back, but I read that they no longer do it.

Your best bet is to convert the engine to battery ignition using an Automotive coil its easy and the engine will start and run better than it ever did.I've convert a half dozen or more.

• webtechlin said thank you