#1 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,721 posts

Posted September 14, 2015 - 11:03 PM

I'm finally going to build a cab for my Kubota L2000, I've been wanting a cab since I bought this tractor. I'm going to build just one door on the left, I also want all the windows to open and be removable. I have tons of glass, I'm going to make safety glass out of it, I'm going with a all steel construction. I have most of the metal, I don't have much money to spend on this so it's going to consist of a lot of mics scrap. I have a old fuel drum that I'm going to cut up for the sheet metal and I also have all the weather stripping. I will also put in a heater for the winter.

I found this http://lifeonhighway...ractor-cab.html I thought his cap looked great.

There is also this wonderful cab build (right here on GTT) from Massey Driver http://gardentractor...70-1-cab-build/

• boyscout862 and Bmerf have said thanks

#2 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 08:26 AM

I see your going to give it a try,good for you. You've read my post and commented lots so I know you have a good idea of all the time and work involved. All I can say is put a mental picture of what you want the cab to look like in the end into your head and go from there. Try and think a few steps ahead all the time eg. I need to keep this part straight and sq because I want the window/door to hinge here and close here. The more angles you have the more complicated it'll be to get everything to fit together properly. Oh yeah take and post lots of pics so we can see your progress,Good luck and have fun.

• Alc, boyscout862 and BTS have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,748 Thanks
  • 7,519 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 09:23 AM

I was going to build cabs for several of my tractors but they kept coming up on CL. The Curtis Factory is less than an hour away. I picked up 3 cabs with steel frames and tops, glass front with wiper, and side curtains for less that one new one would have cost. I will be watching with great interest since I will want more cabs for the snowblower tractors.

Last year, Surplus Center had nice MF cabs for cheap. Good Luck, Rick

• BTS said thank you

#4 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,721 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 08:19 AM

Thanks,

I'm hoping to get started on this cab in a week or so, I'm going to half to remove the fenders and build new ones that fit the cab. This Kubota will be harder to build a cab for it because it doesn't have the operating platform like the new tractors have. To have a fully enclosed cab, I think I'm going to half to build a sub floor under the belly of the tractor so it will enclose the rear end/transmission in the cab. I have a feeling if I just build the cab where it joins up to the side of the rear end/transmission, it will never be tight enough and leak in the cold air. I'm also wanting to make this cab where the top half can be removed half way easy. But since I going to have a loader on my Bolens HT23, it will be able to get into the tighter/lower spaces better anyway.

• Alc said thank you

#5 CanadianHobbyFarmer ONLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 04:05 PM

BTS, I would start with the new fenders and enclosing the floor. If you make the fenders flat on top and sturdy enough, you can have the upper half of the cab rest on them and attach to them. I would also go to the extra effort of making two doors, so if you don't have the time or ambition to take the whole cab off, you can still take off both doors to get some airflow when the weather gets hot. I think two doors would also simplify removing the cab. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with the build.

Jim

• BTS said thank you

#6 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 07:05 PM

I may have a different solution for you to look at.I made a cab for my MF 175 approx 25 yrs ago and made it out of 1" sq tubing and plywood. I kept the fenders on etc: just built the cab around the tractor basically.It's sealed up fairly well.I made it so that the front of the cab comes off in case I ever need to split the tractor for clutch work. The doors are two piece top opens seperate from the bottom.The rear window also opens for venting.Its one of my first of many cabs. here's some pics.BTW I still use have and use the tractor a bit each year.

Attached Thumbnails

• MF 175 010 (Small).jpg
  • MF 175 009 (Small).jpg
  • MF 175 008 (Small).jpg
  • MF 175 006 (Small).jpg
  • MF 175 001 (Small).jpg

• Alc, BTS and Jazz have said thanks

#7 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,721 posts

Posted September 18, 2015 - 09:38 PM

BTS, I would start with the new fenders and enclosing the floor. If you make the fenders flat on top and sturdy enough, you can have the upper half of the cab rest on them and attach to them. I would also go to the extra effort of making two doors, so if you don't have the time or ambition to take the whole cab off, you can still take off both doors to get some airflow when the weather gets hot. I think two doors would also simplify removing the cab. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with the build.

Jim

You just read my mind, I am starting with enclosing the floor and building the new fenders, I was also thinking about the same thing of the cab setting on the fenders. I want the new fenders stout enough that I can turn and kinda sit on them so I can see behind me when plowing, planting, cultivating and ect.

Although I'm just going with 1 door, our Kubota is about impossible to get on from the right side because there is the loader valve and the 3-pt lift lever in the way. I'm going to make it where all the window hinge pins can be pulled, then I could just take off all the windows if needed.

Thanks

Edited by BTS, September 18, 2015 - 09:39 PM.

#8 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,721 posts

Posted September 18, 2015 - 09:46 PM

I may have a different solution for you to look at.I made a cab for my MF 175 approx 25 yrs ago and made it out of 1" sq tubing and plywood. I kept the fenders on etc: just built the cab around the tractor basically.It's sealed up fairly well.I made it so that the front of the cab comes off in case I ever need to split the tractor for clutch work. The doors are two piece top opens seperate from the bottom.The rear window also opens for venting.Its one of my first of many cabs. here's some pics.BTW I still use have and use the tractor a bit each year.

Wow, that cab looks great, I was going to use plywood, but then changed my mind and thought I would go with sheet metal. But after seeing that cab, you have changed my mind and now I'm going with plywood again. It will be a lot easier for me to cut the wood instead of the metal, I only have a circular saw, 4" grinder and a torch for cutting metal. The fenders on our Kubota are the wrong shape to put fenders on them, I think it would be more trouble then building my own. I also want the cab a little wider then the fenders. The tractor is aporx 4' wide, so I am going to build the cab 44", that leaves about 1/4 of each back tire sticking out from the cab.

Here are a couple pictures of our Kubota, you can see that there is no operators platform, you can also see the fenders are a little to weak and small to mount a cab on.

Attached Thumbnails

• Koyker Loader FINISHED on Kubota 011.jpg
  • Koyker Loader FINISHED on Kubota 016.jpg

Edited by BTS, September 18, 2015 - 09:49 PM.

#9 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,721 posts

Posted September 18, 2015 - 10:32 PM

Got started on the cab today, here's the new thread http://gardentractor...d-kubota-l2000/

• Alc said thank you