10 replies to this topic

#1 BMW1 OFFLINE  

BMW1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 75344
  • 10 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted September 14, 2015 - 09:00 PM

My son and I purchased a new Holland s8.  It runs, needs carb work and came with the snowblower, mower deck, chains, and weight box.  The only way to start it is to jump it from the positive battery terminal to the starter. 

Does anyone know where we can get a parts manual and a wiring diagram?

It looks exactly like the Ariens S-8 but haven't been able to find that manual either.  Not sure what year it is either. 

The serial# is 298905.  Included pictures below.20150914_183750.jpg 20150914_183813.jpg 20150914_183825.jpg

• rustyoldjunk, Alc and Traill95 have said thanks

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 14, 2015 - 09:12 PM

Year is 1970-1973. Excellent find.
  • BMW1 said thank you

#3 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,539 Thanks
  • 3,926 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 04:27 AM

Welcome to GTtalk! Nice tractor and attachments go with it. Ariens has manuals online for downloading. You would need the model number off a Ariens S-8.
  • Alc and BMW1 have said thanks

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 05:12 AM

Welcome to GTTalk !!  Hope you get your machine going

#5 BMW1 OFFLINE  

BMW1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 10 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 07:26 AM

Year is 1970-1973. Excellent find.

Thank you for the year information.

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#6 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 09:07 AM

:welcometogttalk:

#7 BMW1 OFFLINE  

BMW1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 10 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 09:07 PM

I found a New Holland S8 Service Parts Catalog on ebay that I bought.  Also made a PDF copy of it.  Can I post it to the manuals?  Also found the Ariens S8 manual and have that pdf as well. 

My son and put an ignition switch on, fixed a couple of wires that had come apart at the connectors, put a carb kit in and it starts with the ignition now and sounds very good No oil leaks either.  Still need to tune the idle and haven't driven it that much.  One of the ball joints was being held on with about 8 zip ties.  The right front wheel is toed out pretty bad.  We found some "generic" ball joints and replaced all of them and that has helped a lot.  We are waiting for new wheel bushings now since the wheel still had quite a bit of play in it. 

My question is about the wheel spindle.  It's pretty chewed up and since the part is "obsolete" we are wondering if anyone knows of an available wheel spindle that will work in its place.  Thanks

• KennyP and shorty have said thanks

#8 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,433 Thanks
  • 39,673 posts

Posted September 23, 2015 - 06:30 AM

I found a New Holland S8 Service Parts Catalog on ebay that I bought.  Also made a PDF copy of it.  Can I post it to the manuals?  Also found the Ariens S8 manual and have that pdf as well. 

My son and put an ignition switch on, fixed a couple of wires that had come apart at the connectors, put a carb kit in and it starts with the ignition now and sounds very good No oil leaks either.  Still need to tune the idle and haven't driven it that much.  One of the ball joints was being held on with about 8 zip ties.  The right front wheel is toed out pretty bad.  We found some "generic" ball joints and replaced all of them and that has helped a lot.  We are waiting for new wheel bushings now since the wheel still had quite a bit of play in it. 

My question is about the wheel spindle.  It's pretty chewed up and since the part is "obsolete" we are wondering if anyone knows of an available wheel spindle that will work in its place.  Thanks

I think we need to add a listing for New Holland manuals added. That would put them where they could be found again.

#9 coinman66 OFFLINE  

coinman66
  • Member No: 72594
  • 163 Thanks
  • 273 posts

Posted September 23, 2015 - 07:01 AM

Nice find!

#10 BMW1 OFFLINE  

BMW1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 10 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 07:33 PM

We used an Oregon 33-388 ignition switch - package says REPL John Deere #AM10254. The terminals on the switch match the one wires and plug on the wiring harness.

#11 Scott Swart OFFLINE  

Scott Swart
  • Member No: 76231
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted October 13, 2015 - 05:51 PM

Hello, I have also obtained a S8. I saved it from certain death at the scrapyard....Although I am beginning to wonder whylol...Anyhow the serial's are all long gone, The model # on the hood says S8 however according to the info I found on Tractordata.com it seems I have a S8G because my tractor has a 3 speed standard 36" deck and a 8 vertical Briggs. Any input and or ideas for repair manual or parts, Thanks, Would also consider trades or selling it, It is college and all the skins are excellent.