28 replies to this topic

#16 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,291 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 06:50 AM

I think it depends on your location.

I've used straight talk for years, they use a verizon tower in this area, We upgraded to smart phones this year using the bring your own phone program.

Customer service is not the best I've ever encountered however with a bit of patience they will get things working for you it is quite time consuming though.

Only certain phones will work with the byop program you almost need to know the esn before u buy a phone to ensure that it will work.

I have an lg g series phone and a samsung s for the wife both are nice phones and work well localy, we bought the phones from an online source.

We get fairly reliable 4g service so the landline and wifi are going to be disconnected soon, 2 nice smartphones for the same money per month as our wifi was costing us.

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#17 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 07:43 AM

We have ATT, was good for a while, but now their service has dropped off. My SIL researched and said they had started removing or shutting down some cell towers for whatever reason. Since the trees leaved out in April, our service at he house went to almost zero since house is surrounded by huge trees

#18 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 08:29 AM

Sprint has treated me like a king since they bought Nextel in 2004...I have tried ATT and Verizon, each multiple times, as service coverage or phone options were supposedly improved beyond Sprint in my area.  Great disappointment was my only result.  Each time I kept my Sprint account during the 30day trial periods...and am glad I did.  Verizon customer service seemed to be the worst of the 3.

I now moved to a 'dead' spot for Sprint...but I do get service enough to slowly load a Youtube video or carry calls just fine, on an Galazy S5.  My wife's iPhone5 struggles to carry calls at all and will not load any data.  Sprint sent us a freebie box to connect to our internet, and it provides 5 bars of service for each of us (but then we depend on Charter...another debacle).  My folks have Verizon and their phones are dead here.

I have always loved Sprint's unlimited data...I'd be living in a cardboard box if I had to pay Verizon's data fees all these years.  My data use is out of this world.

• KennyP said thank you

#19 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 08:34 AM

I am just on the border of Verizon's listed service area and get 1 to 2 bars and calls get dropped all the time.Called up Verizon and complained telling them how much money I give them every month and they sent me a free network extender and now I have 5 bars in my shop.You might want to check into it if you on on Verizon and have a poor signal and have a broadband connection.

http://www.verizonwi...ender-scs-2u01/

• Alc, KennyP and Arti have said thanks

#20 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,806 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 09:00 AM

I've had TRAC FONE for about 8 years. It is used for a cell phone only but is okay. The newest phone was $5 and has a camera and internet access(but I don't know how to use it). It included double minutes and was on sale at Family Dollar Store. I figured there wasn't much to lose at $5. The prepaid card is $20 for 3 months and includes 120 minutes(double minutes). I only use about 15 minutes per month so it rolls over. I now have over 1000 minutes accumulated. For about $7 per month, I think that it is a steal. Good Luck, Rick

#21 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 10:43 AM

I just thought I would mention our Son-in-law has Republic wireless phone.  It basically uses WiFi when available and sprint when there is no WiFi.  He has been very happy with it and I almost when with it as well but the sprint coverage map over in rural Alabama was a bit sketchy and since I ride over there a lot if something happened I didn't want to take the chance of no coverage.

If Verizon seems to be the best for your area then any of the carriers that use the Verizon towers should work for you. 

This new business plan with Apple phones not being tied to a specific Carrier should prove to be interesting to cell phone market.  We already have seen quite a change in how cell phone companies do business and now I think we will see even more that will benefit the consumer.

#22 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 06:20 PM

Just an update! My buddy Steve had a T-Mobile phone stashed away. We put my Sim card in it and I no longer have an issue! Seems the phone itself caused all the problem!

• HDWildBill and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#23 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,397 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 06:22 AM

Several points;

All the major carriers have network extenders like my AT&T M-Cell, that use WIFI to give you service in and around your home.

All carriers, regardless of commercials about how much area they cover, have reduced the number of towers to cut costs. Sometimes they weren't needed due to better technology and sometimes they didn't have enough customers in an area to make as much as they wanted, so they threw you under the bus.

As for a particular phone struggling with data use, either you got a phone with that's broken or you're in a dead zone. The name brand phones all work well.

Edited by toppop52, September 16, 2015 - 06:23 AM.

#24 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 06:46 AM

It must be the phone itself, as we swapped to a different phone and I now have 4 bars here at the house. Never had that with the old one (ZTE). This one is an HTC.

• Alc said thank you

#25 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 10:00 AM

It must be the phone itself, as we swapped to a different phone and I now have 4 bars here at the house. Never had that with the old one (ZTE). This one is an HTC.

I've seen this before.  A few years ago I had one, don't remember the make, that didn't work very well around here.  Our granddaughter went to a smartphone so I took hers and all was well.  

#26 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 10:39 AM

I'd be living in a cardboard box if I had to pay Verizon's data fees all these years.

We went from around $120 month and unlimited data on one phone and 4 dumb phones to 3 smart phones w/10gig data and 2 dumb and  now are paying $284 month :wallbanging:    oh did I mention mines still a dumb phone . Not living in a cardboard box but still driving a 2003 Caviler w/208k miles

• KennyP said thank you

#27 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,397 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 07:56 PM

AT&T cut my bill and increased my data, not that I needed it, but I liked my bill going from $240 to $129. All I did was ask, with a hint of a threat to go to another carrier. They've since doubled my data on their own without my asking.
  • Alc said thank you

#28 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 09:44 PM

In my area, anything gives all the signal you want.  

At camp, Verizon is the best in the area.  It's hit or miss on getting coverage evenly there.  In the kitchen, smart phone says 1x with one or two bars.  Living room gets on bar at 3g.  Upstairs bedroom sometimes gets two bars of 4g.  Sometimes nothing at all.  

It all depends.  

It also sounds like you had a bum phone and all is well for you.  I'm glad to hear that!

• KennyP said thank you

#29 freedhardwoods OFFLINE  

freedhardwoods
  • Member No: 47074
  • 374 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted September 18, 2015 - 07:45 PM

I had GTE for 6 or 7 years until they became Verizon in 2000. I've had Verizon ever since.

I've used over 60 minutes before 6 am dozens of times. A few years ago I counted up my talk time one especially talkative day. 8 1/2 hours. It was mostly business that day.