• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,489 Thanks
  • 39,723 posts

Posted September 14, 2015 - 06:47 PM

Looking for another cell provider! WalMart-TMobile sucks! Been with out service for days and no way to contact them without going to WalMart!

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted September 14, 2015 - 07:21 PM

Depends on what you want and how much you want to pay.  We have used Trac-Phone for several years.  They use everybody's towers and have none of their own.  There is dead spots with them just like all the others.  But for the price, I don't think you can go wrong.  But don't look for anything fancy like a camera, internet, and all that other stuff that just cost more and is not necessary.  Who want to look at a parts diagram for a GT in the shop on a little dinky 2 X 4" screen ? ?   Get a cheep laptop and used CD's.  We use ours strictly as a cell phone.  $24 for 90 days service and 60 min of talk time.  $50 card gets you double min. for life.  Check it out.

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#3 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted September 14, 2015 - 07:26 PM

It depends on your area, I am a Verizon fan. I also utilize a Wilson 4G booster in my truck when traveling which kills almost all dead spots when driving.

I prefer contracts and not card phones. If I spent 24 dollars for 60 minutes I'd be out of minutes after 11am. But Verizon offers a 35 dollar plan with unlimited minutes and text for 30 days. Not a bad deal if you don't want data.

Either way If you are stuck on wanting to use a card phone then everyone has them. I figure card phones would get second rate service on towers.

Edited by toomanytoys84, September 14, 2015 - 07:32 PM.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 14, 2015 - 07:37 PM

I was Tracfone, but began to get as expensive as a smartphone with data.  Now for $42.75 a month I have an AT&T "Go Phone" with unlimited talk & text, plus 2GB of high speed data.  I've never used 2GB, but if I did, I still have unlimited data after the 2GB, but at a much slower speed.  I had to buy the smart phone to get started.

• KennyP said thank you

#5 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,512 Thanks
  • 3,393 posts

Posted September 14, 2015 - 07:44 PM

Me! Lol
Sorry, I can say for sure that it depends on where you are and what you want/need in service, device and cost. There is no one answer.
  • KennyP said thank you

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 14, 2015 - 07:45 PM

I have had T-mobile, for about 7 yrs. When I first went with them service sucked. Had a lot of dead zones.
Could not get out at my dads house or at the Perkins or Culvers restaurants. And coverage in DES Moines(where I worked was spotty.
But they have built more towers and service is pretty good now.
Incidentally I was at my brother-in-laws today in a valley about 14 miles away today and had no service.
Too Many Toys called it, it depends on what carrier has the most towers in your area.

Edited by JD DANNELS, September 14, 2015 - 07:48 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#7 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted September 14, 2015 - 07:48 PM

Not me...

#8 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted September 14, 2015 - 08:10 PM

The big thing Kenny is to check with people in your area and see what they use and how their coverage is.  Some places here in Atlanta work great with AT&T and others like our area Verizon is better.

We were with Verizon but moved over to Straight talk when we decided to go with a smartphone.  About $43 a month unlimited talk, text and 5GB of data.  I've yet to use a gig guess I'm not really into the smartphone era yet!  I like Straight talk because you can pick which carrier you want to piggy back off of.  Since we got service with Verizon before we stayed with the Verizon towers and get the same coverage except my monthly payment is much cheaper and no contract.

• Alc, KennyP and shorty have said thanks

#9 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,567 Thanks
  • 3,950 posts

Posted September 14, 2015 - 08:39 PM

I just got a smart phone with Strait talk. So far I have found their service decent. I went with a 5 gig data plan, but now I might switch to a lower plan.
  • Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#10 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted September 14, 2015 - 10:35 PM

I'm on U.S Cellular, it's $80 per month for cell phone and land line. I have a LG 4G smart phone and I love it. My I-phone didn't last, I went through 2 in a year. This LG phone is about a year old and is still like new. U.S Cellular uses Verizon cell phone towers, my I-phone was on AT&T and I never had a signal. Must of had the wrong towers in this area?.

• KennyP said thank you

#11 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 12:01 AM

Verizon covers the dead spot that no other carrier seems to be able to.Verizon costs alot more but it's really the only thing that gives us service here.My house is in the middle of a dead spot.Roughly 400 yards Up and Down the road I have service.

Makes it really hard to sell crap that has to be picked up.They get lost when GPS and Cell service cuts out.

Worst thing is in the Fall once the leaves are down I can see 2 Cell towers from my bedroom window and 1 off the back porch.I'm in a valley just below the side of a mountain and 3 towers that are maybe 8-10 miles away as the crow flys.

• KennyP said thank you

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 04:38 AM

I've had AT&T for years.
Pros and cons, but usually the service around here is good.

Gives me a chance to surf GTT between calls whe I am waiting on the customer to get home.

My wife and daughter have HTC phones.
They've both had to have them replaced (PITA, 2 hour drive)
My nokia windows "lumia" phone just keeps chugging.
  • KennyP said thank you

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 05:03 AM

Oh, forgot to say it.
You need to check with others in your area to see who has the best coverage in the areas you travel.
  • KennyP said thank you

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,489 Thanks
  • 39,723 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 05:54 AM

I have been fairly happy with this service, but lately it goes to this 'No Service' thing. The map shows I am in a great service area. Folks around here seem to have good luck with Verizon.

#15 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,512 Thanks
  • 3,393 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 06:31 AM

I'm in the airport dead zone, so at home brand really doesn't matter, I got an M-Cell for free, as long as my cable service is working I have 5 bars of service. I love my iPhone 5S, but I liked the old iPhones as well, they all are capable of a lot more than I am. I've had 4-5 and my wife has as well. The only iPhone that ever broke, I dropped. It still worked, the screen just shattered. But phones are like underwear, whatever fits you're needs, and they're all full of sh!t!!! :D

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks