• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 stubbysteve OFFLINE  

stubbysteve

• Member No: 3443
  • 54 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted September 14, 2015 - 02:37 PM

Since I have some color now, I have another question. For those of you that have restored a db, do you put handles and brackets together first then paint so everything is the same or paint each part individual? I know it is kind of preference but if you paint individual then bolt everything you stand a chance of scratching paint.
  • Lauber1, chieffan and Thomasfews have said thanks

#2 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted September 14, 2015 - 04:39 PM

For a full restoration, if a full disassembly and rebuild is in order. Look at and photograph the pieces as they come off, so you can see what was painted from the factory assembled, and what was painted individually. 

My self, since I don't do full resto's, If I have it off it gets painted, If I don't remove it gets painted as an assembly

• Alc, chieffan, MGP59DB and 1 other said thanks

#3 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted September 14, 2015 - 05:36 PM

For a full restoration, if a full disassembly and rebuild is in order. Look at and photograph the pieces as they come off, so you can see what was painted from the factory assembled, and what was painted individually. 

My self, since I don't do full resto's, If I have it off it gets painted, If I don't remove it gets painted as an assembly

I agree fully.  Unless your making a show piece and have protected wrenches I would do an much painting assembled as you can.  I don't do show pieces.  My equipment and tractor are working items.

• Alc and Marty'70 have said thanks

#4 MGP59DB OFFLINE  

MGP59DB
  • Member No: 66960
  • 1,040 Thanks
  • 525 posts

Posted September 14, 2015 - 06:03 PM

I agree with them as well . I painted the stuff I had apart on mine and if it wasn't apart it was painted assembled . I just went to the South Haven Mich. Flywheelers show this past weekend . I looked at a lot of tractors . 'Trailer Queens'  -They sure look nice ... too nice to take out in the dirt.  

It all depends on what you are going for I guess .

I was lucky enough to see this tractor in person .

http://gardentractor...-june-2012-r109

1961 WH featured here June 2012 , This was a beautiful 'Show' piece .

I bought my tractor to use , but I also want it to look decent , so I am OK with 'Less than Show' quality . If I scratch it up ... no big deal . I didn't spend a fortune on how it looks and 3 automotive clear coats to make it shine.

In fact at this show it seemed that the ugliest tractors were the ones that the people were having the most fun with :D

But that doesn't mean it can't still look good .

Rustycong.jpg :smilewink:

• Alc, VSTROM803 and HANKG have said thanks

#5 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,911 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted September 14, 2015 - 06:03 PM

Its very important to let the paint dry really well not just a couple of days I will let it set for a week or two makes a big difference when bolting things back together

• Alc and MGP59DB have said thanks

#6 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted September 14, 2015 - 06:09 PM

when doing a DB, keep in mind that the parts or some complete assemblies were dip painted, while being wire tied together. they isn't any way to duplicate that in the field. I ussally paint all the parts, then assemble, then repaint things like the handle hookup parts and other things that get rough treatment. Most of the look of a DB is the hood, so spend the most time getting that part right, and then the wheels.

• Alc said thank you

#7 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted September 14, 2015 - 07:04 PM

The main question is what is the use going to be. I do full restorations taking them all apart and i will be honest they are very limited use we drive them around yard with the kids and have fun with them. for the working machines they are maintained and if parts come off they get cleaned and put back on.
  • Alc said thank you

#8 stubbysteve OFFLINE  

stubbysteve

• 54 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted September 14, 2015 - 10:10 PM

Well this one more of a show piece. But since my original engine is in dire need of repair, I have to go with a later model engine. So it is a total rebuild. I did pull the tranny apart. Cleaned put back together. I have everything primed.just was wondering if I should put parts togrther on the machine then paint. Cause it looked as if it was done that way from factory. As in all bolts and everything. And it will be used for shows and hauling kids around and the such.

#9 stubbysteve OFFLINE  

stubbysteve

• 54 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted September 17, 2015 - 06:59 AM

when doing a DB, keep in mind that the parts or some complete assemblies were dip painted, while being wire tied together. they isn't any way to duplicate that in the field. I ussally paint all the parts, then assemble, then repaint things like the handle hookup parts and other things that get rough treatment. Most of the look of a DB is the hood, so spend the most time getting that part right, and then the wheels.

I had to go through all 4 dbs to get a set of wheels that would even possibly hold air. I had to take one off the 48 and one off the 54. The others were literaly rotted through. One of the ones I have are pitted pretty bad. Has any one heard of bondoing a wheel before?

#10 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted September 17, 2015 - 08:27 AM

No but I brush rusteluem on the inside of the rims and put tubes in them. I don't reload the tires either since they are not for use anymore.

Edited by jabelman, September 17, 2015 - 08:27 AM.

• Lauber1 said thank you

#11 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted September 17, 2015 - 12:27 PM

shouldn't have been an issue as all the older db rims were tubetype, they weren't made for modern tires.

#12 stubbysteve OFFLINE  

stubbysteve

• 54 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted September 17, 2015 - 03:30 PM

Just found out I have a hole in onr of the rims. About half the size of a pencil. Do you think it can be welded and work or is it shot?

#13 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted September 17, 2015 - 05:43 PM

Post a pic. Shouldn't matter with a tube
  • stubbysteve said thank you

#14 stubbysteve OFFLINE  

stubbysteve

• 54 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted September 17, 2015 - 08:39 PM

I will post a picture tomorrow. Thanks

#15 IWLBCNU OFFLINE  

IWLBCNU

• Member No: 5214
  • 120 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted September 18, 2015 - 10:50 AM

When I did my 'show' tractor, it was my third DB and I had very few parts, and hadn't started collecting yet. The rims I had to use were very rough. I used All-Metal which is a type of bondo and smoothed all the pits and rebuilt the valve stem holes. They have held up for 9 years now with no problems. On a John Deere rim I have cut out a section of rim from another and butt welded it back into the better rim and still need to drill the hole, but was able to make it smooth with no bondo.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_1852.JPG

• Alc and pigsitter have said thanks