14 replies to this topic

#1 eicy3 OFFLINE  

eicy3
  • Member No: 75292
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted September 14, 2015 - 11:07 AM

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum but have it bookmarked as I'm sure I'll be back often.  I have recently purchased 2.75 acres to build our new house.  The site is sloping and hilly.  In a previous life I had a JD 2210 for my 9 acre residence.  I had the FEL, box blade, and brush mower and used them quite a bit.  I loved it and had a blast with it.  I had a separate ZTR for lawn care.  But alas, I lost them and the house in the divorce.    Fast forward a few years of city living and I'm ready to get out with my new bride.

For the new site, I would like to do a little finish landscaping, most of which I think I can do with a box blade.  But the primary use will be mowing and moving snow.  So past the initial ground prep finish work, my priority will be a nice mowing setup.

I've ran across a 758 with low hours for a good price (still doing my due diligence on that), but am trying to decide if I would be happier with a SCUT.  If a SCUT, any model recommendations?  I really just want one unit for all my tasks.

I would love some feedback to save me from buyer's remorse-from either buying too little or too much. 

Thanks in advance for your help.

#2 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,448 Thanks
  • 3,996 posts

Posted September 14, 2015 - 11:58 AM

First of all - welcome to GTt

#3 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted September 14, 2015 - 12:37 PM

Welcome.  The SCUT seems to be the preferred piece of equipment for land owners who want to do more than just mow.  I have a little over 4 acres and I love my SCUT.  I don't mow with it but I do everything else with it.  I am one who likes to have backup for everything, not rely on one machine to do it all.  That's me.  If I were to own just one, it would be the SCUT hands down.  Dependable diesel engine.  They sip fuel.  Power to spare.  They are very maneuverable with the power steering.  You have 4wd for the hills.  You have more choices for snow removal.  CAT 1 implements are in great supply and you can put many more hours on that diesel engine than you ever will on a kohler or briggs.  They are just good all around machines.  I use mine for snow removal (5ft. power angle blade), FEL for firewood work and I have a 4 foot brush hog for mowing over the garden or heavier brush.  I also have a 5 foot rear blade.  That's my opinion.  I know folks who have one acre and own a SCUT so your lot I think would be a decent match.

• boyscout862 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 14, 2015 - 01:53 PM

Like Jeff(above) I am a fan of the Cut/Scut machines, I have 9 acres.
There are some questions you need to ask yourself.
1) will I be using 3 point implements?
2) will I want to run rear PTO implements?
Decide what you want to accomplish and what implements are required to do the job.
The implements do the work, the tractor is the power unit.
The 758 is like a Cadillac of the super GTs, nothing wrong with them at all.
But fitting it with rear PTO and 3 point hitch(optional equipment) will drive the price higher than a Scut with them standard.
I will not recommend a brand, because I think a good servicing/parts stocking dealer is more important than paint color. And I think there are members here who own most popular brands and could answer more specific questions.
Welcome to the board, and ask away.

Edited by JD DANNELS, September 14, 2015 - 02:00 PM.

• David Brown, boyscout862 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,806 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted September 14, 2015 - 02:07 PM

Welcome to GTT. If you can afford it a SCUT is very nice. Have a second machine for mowing and as backup snow removal. Good Luck, Rick
  • David Brown and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#6 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,806 Thanks
  • 2,208 posts

Posted September 14, 2015 - 02:24 PM

Welcome to GTTalk !!  I'm in agreement with the above. But if the new bride doesn't mind, and you have the space and mechanical ability, get yourself a few larger, older GT's so each one has a dedicated task, might be cheaper than a SCUT. But if you can afford it I'd go SCUT and a few GT's. :D  :D      JM2CW  Tom

• boyscout862 said thank you

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 08:50 AM

Where in SE Iowa are you located? I have a lot of cousins living around Oskaloosa.
I almost bought a Massey Ferguson from a dealer there.
Had to pass because I had bought my Ford 1500 the week before he called with a killer deal.

#8 eicy3 OFFLINE  

eicy3
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 01:47 PM

JD-I will be in the Riverside area-between Iowa City and Washington.

Follow up question for everyone who has a 1025R-how does the yard mowing compare?  This is why I came here-for your advice.  I was strongly considering the 758 but you all have me second guessing because of the PTO and 3 pt.  I know I have some initial cleanup and site work where the FEL and box blade will be handy.  But I want to make sure that that a 60" deck on the 1025 will give me the cut that I want for my lawn.

And there's no way in $%## I can talk her into 2 machines, so stop it already!  I'm just happy to be able to look at one!

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 02:52 PM

Ah Riverside, still have James T Kirk days down there? Know right where you are. My parents had friends in Washington and we used to go down there often.

Edited by JD DANNELS, September 15, 2015 - 02:53 PM.

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 02:54 PM

If only one machine, then SCUT hands down.  A 60" deck does a fine job.  I have a John Deere 430 with the 60" and it does really nice on my lawn.  For the rough areas I use a John Deere F935 set to cut a tad higher for the rough ground.  

The ease of attaching implements on the 1025 is awesome.  

• eicy3 said thank you

#11 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,756 Thanks
  • 8,924 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 06:30 PM

The 60 deck for the 1000 series is the same design as the old X series decks, I have read you can't tell what cut what. It is heavier, the turning radius is larger, and it will scuff easier on turns and will leave marks on a thin lawn when wet if equipped with the R4 tires.
  • olcowhand, JD DANNELS and eicy3 have said thanks

#12 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted September 18, 2015 - 05:55 PM

We have a Deere 2320 CUT that we could not live without! We support about 8 acres of field, another acre or so of "yard" and lots of trails/maintenance on a much larger adjacent wooded section we own.

I love having and tinkering with the GT's - (Deeres, Fords and Cubs), and they do help out quite a bit around here, but the "big" tractor is a whole level of efficiency above them!

A SCUT or smaller CUT can do it all, but you still may want to have a GT around! For example, the 2320 is light enough (without weights or loaded tires) to cut the yard without rutting it (60 inch mid-mount deck), but the ROPS and high platform won't fit under several tree branches and low hanging spots. I use a GT (Ford LGT165) to cut my yard, AND it can do backup duties in the field, or pulling trailers, etc if the big tractor is busy. Also, if you have a SMALL garden, using the 2320 to plow/rototill may be overkill. I set up one of the GT's to tend gardens and small food plots, but have the 2320 to do larger areas if I need it.

The loader on a SCUT/CUT is much more powerful than what you can put on most GT's. A GT loader is great, but a CUT loader is greater?!?!? smile...
CUTs are also heavier built compared to modern GTs, and often have diesel engines which are more powerful and fuel efficient.
A SCUT/CUT will be more money! but worth it in the long run!

#13 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted September 19, 2015 - 09:48 AM

I've got a similar sized property and hope to someday move up to a used 2305,as capable as a GT can be a scut would be a lot more suited for the application.

#14 eicy3 OFFLINE  

eicy3
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted September 23, 2015 - 03:07 PM

So I've read everyone's comments, and looked at an x758  and a 1025R up close.  I'm leaning towards the 758 because of maneuverability/turn radius when mowing. 

Both the x758 and 1025r are diesel, both are 4wd, both have 60" decks available.  So that's a wash.

I'll have to install a 3 pt hitch on the 758, but I'd have to install a hydraulic lift for the mower deck on the 1025, so...eh.

I don't think I'll need the PTO

I will want to find a suitable aftermarket FEL for the 758.  The 758 is 24 hp, so it should have plenty of juice for anything I want to do with it.

I know most of you suggested the SCUT, but in my mind I go back to the ease of mowing and thinking the SCUT would be overkill for me.  I talked to one of my new neighbors, and he said everyone in the subdivision with similar size lots either has a GT or a ZTR, which reinforces my "is a 1025 too much?" concerns.

Ugh.  Decisions, decisions...thanks for all your advise.  I get the SCUT argument, I really do, but...I guess I'm leaning the other way. 

I'm going to talk to the dealer on Friday...who knows what I'll end up with...

• olcowhand said thank you

#15 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted September 23, 2015 - 06:37 PM

So I've read everyone's comments, and looked at an x758  and a 1025R up close.  I'm leaning towards the 758 because of maneuverability/turn radius when mowing. 

Both the x758 and 1025r are diesel, both are 4wd, both have 60" decks available.  So that's a wash.

I'll have to install a 3 pt hitch on the 758, but I'd have to install a hydraulic lift for the mower deck on the 1025, so...eh.

I don't think I'll need the PTO

I will want to find a suitable aftermarket FEL for the 758.  The 758 is 24 hp, so it should have plenty of juice for anything I want to do with it.

I know most of you suggested the SCUT, but in my mind I go back to the ease of mowing and thinking the SCUT would be overkill for me.  I talked to one of my new neighbors, and he said everyone in the subdivision with similar size lots either has a GT or a ZTR, which reinforces my "is a 1025 too much?" concerns.

Ugh.  Decisions, decisions...thanks for all your advise.  I get the SCUT argument, I really do, but...I guess I'm leaning the other way. 

I'm going to talk to the dealer on Friday...who knows what I'll end up with...

Hey, it's your decision to make and you are right that the 758 will likely do all you need.  It has plenty power for sure.  I have a 16hp Yanmar in my Massey with FEL and I rarely ever use much more than half throttle when working it hard.