Time to vote for Tractor of the Month!
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

New Member, New Bolens (Estate & Grounds Keeper)

ek10 gk ek estate grounds

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#31 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 1,109 Thanks
  • 721 posts

Posted October 01, 2015 - 01:59 AM

I like the tires, now your EK can talk to mine at a show! Have you done any work on your GK? I just bought an 80 dollar throttle shaft so I am hoping it comes in solid gold! I am thinking that I may just hook up the plow and use it on the drive way this winter so the restoration may have to wait till spring. I hope your offset doesn't make your tires touch they are pretty close on my machine. Good luck and enjoy, this hobby is so rewarding!
  • jpswift1 said thank you

#32 BRIAN EK7&10 OFFLINE  

BRIAN EK7&10
  • Member No: 66742
  • 134 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted October 01, 2015 - 02:31 PM

how do you plan to mount those wheels to the front axels that have a 1" shaft?

#33 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • Member No: 69996
  • 359 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted October 01, 2015 - 02:53 PM

how do you plan to mount those wheels to the front axels that have a 1" shaft?

I like the tires, now your EK can talk to mine at a show! Have you done any work on your GK? I just bought an 80 dollar throttle shaft so I am hoping it comes in solid gold! I am thinking that I may just hook up the plow and use it on the drive way this winter so the restoration may have to wait till spring. I hope your offset doesn't make your tires touch they are pretty close on my machine. Good luck and enjoy, this hobby is so rewarding!

I bought a few LED lights to replace the standard old lights on the GK and I got my plow, but that's all for now.  I'll probably plow with mine as well this winter and then the restoration will come this Spring.  Eric, if we run into each other at a show we'll have to park our frame steer machines next to one another, I'm sure they have many stories to share from over the years.  I did a lot of thinking and planning with the larger tire swap.  I think what I'm going to do is add a small piece of 1/4" plate to the section of the frame that limits the amount of machine will turn so the tires don't hit.

Brian, I did a lot of thinking about how to mount the tires on the front axles and I bought some Bolens HT23 front hubs since they're the same bolt pattern as the rear EK wheels.  I still have a few details to work out on this swap, but I think it'll work.

Edited by jpswift1, October 01, 2015 - 02:54 PM.

• Eric said thank you

#34 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • 1,109 Thanks
  • 721 posts

Posted October 02, 2015 - 12:34 AM

We will have to meet up at a show, let me know if you plan to go to any shows that may be in the middle of us. Good luck on the ek, and also the groundskeeper. We will have to bounce restoration stories in the summer!

#35 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 359 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted October 10, 2015 - 10:59 PM

Here's some more pics of the progress.  I may have overdone all of the prep and paint work and now I'm thinking I'll probably have this GK looking too nice and I won't want to use it or get it dirty,  Anyway, I stripped all the rust and primed and painted the wheels and mounted some 4 ply 26x12x12 Goodyear Super Terra Grips on them thanks to my friend Mark and Drew.  We had a tire machine and Bobcat that we used to break the inner/rear bead on the GK wheels......the front bead popped no problem though.  Here's a the before and after picture......old ones the right, refurbished on the left.  Next I'll be mounting the other 2 tires and painting the wheels.

STP60456.JPG

I started the old THD Wisconsin and she purrs nicely, but I traced a slight vacuum leak to the play in the throttle shaft of the carburetor.  I came across a replacement carburetor on ebay and that should be in this week.  Also, just for the fun of it I decided to give the dealer a call who had their sticker on the inner part of the door where the blower for the heater goes under the seat.  It's the original dealer sticker from the 1960's and much to my surprise, they were still in business and they remembered the old GK's they sold.  They were very nice people and said that they sold all their old Bolens inventory off to Sam's Bolens.  They're in Albany, NY, so somehow over the past 40 something, almost 50 years this GK has traded hands and found its home with me in the Buffalo, NY area.

http://www.abeletractor.com/

#36 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • 1,109 Thanks
  • 721 posts

Posted October 11, 2015 - 12:37 AM

Nice history, that's always fun. I also have an implement company sticker on my machine I suppose I will have to give them a call. Why not rebuild your carb should have been cheaper? Nice work on the wheels, I won't be starting any work till spring as my plow company has called It quits. Good luck on the new carb!

#37 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 359 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted October 11, 2015 - 01:10 AM

Thanks Eric!  My old carburetor was OK, but the years of use wore the housing where the throttle shaft goes into creating a slight vacuum leak.  Give that old dealer a call, they may still be in business......and who knows, they may even have some NOS parts still sitting around. 

I'm kind of torn about when to complete my restoration too.  I have another tractor to plow with, but I really want to try out the GK.  Hmmmm.

#38 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,534 Thanks
  • 2,290 posts

Posted October 11, 2015 - 08:34 AM

My old carburetor was OK, but the years of use wore the housing where the throttle shaft goes into creating a slight vacuum leak. 

When the throttle shaft is worn, replace the shaft.

When the housing is worn, the hole is enlarged and a bushing is installed.

#39 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 359 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted October 11, 2015 - 10:35 AM

When the throttle shaft is worn, replace the shaft.

When the housing is worn, the hole is enlarged and a bushing is installed.

That's a good idea, I never thought about installing a bushing.  I'm going to take a look at both carburetors and put a good one together out of the two. 

#40 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 359 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted October 19, 2015 - 09:38 PM

I'm glad I bought that carburetor off ebay because it looked like brand new.  I really don't think it was ever used!  I switched the throttle shaft to the correct side to work on the Bolens and installed the cable mount from the old carburetor and bolted it onto the Wisconsin and went to fire it up.  It was cold and damp with snow on the ground.  The temperature was in the mid 30's and the engine hadn't been started in a month.  Usually I have to crank it a little bit and use some starting fluid, but not with the new carburetor on there.  I gave it a little choke and it fired up instantly and purred as smooth as new.  I couldn't believe it.  I adjusted the idle down and then played with the other screw a little while (mixture adjustment I'm assuming) and it revs, idles, and runs absolutely flawless.  There's no smoke of any kind, no misses, no hesitation, no stumbles, or anything.  I'm very tempted to just put together what I have done so far and use it for plowing this winter, but I think I'm going to continue with the restoration.

I also got the two rear fenders off and all stripped and sanded and ready for paint.  I still have a couple small areas where I need to do some fiberglass work on, but nothing major.  Next will be doing the two front fenders and the hood (the hood is in great shape except for one spot where it looks like someone may have backed into something, but it'll be an easy repair).

Edited by jpswift1, October 19, 2015 - 09:39 PM.

• Alc and blackjackjakexxix have said thanks

#41 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 359 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted October 20, 2015 - 05:58 PM

Does anyone know what kind of rubber hose I could use to connect the carburetor to the air cleaner and what the inside diameter would be?  I'm guessing maybe a radiator hose.  Also, what would the inside diameter be?  Thanks.STP60473.JPG

#42 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 13,382 Thanks
  • 17,468 posts

Posted October 20, 2015 - 06:08 PM

I've never had one in my hands but an original hose can still be had through wisconsin

Price is $ 28.82

• Alc and jpswift1 have said thanks

#43 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • 1,109 Thanks
  • 721 posts

Posted October 20, 2015 - 07:29 PM

One of mine is not original I will take it off and measure it tomorrow evening, if you don't hear back just pm me as I may forget. We have to take our car to a shop an hour away so may get distracted.

#44 gardentractornut OFFLINE  

gardentractornut
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 67198
  • 324 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted October 20, 2015 - 09:35 PM

I think radiator hose would work, all me Grandpa's farm tractors have that.

#45 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 359 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted October 20, 2015 - 11:46 PM

Thanks for the fast replies, gentlemen!