21 replies to this topic

#1 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted September 13, 2015 - 07:51 PM

There has got to be a better way to sell stuff. Nobody reads the paper anymore, Ebay is just as big of a hassle, I dont get much traffic on my road (although I have had some luck selling GTs from the yard in the past)

I have had a running/ but needs carb work, 400cc atv posted for under $1,000. Several emails, mainly wanting to trade for $300 worth of cr@p. I got one this morning, called the guy back and he came out and looked at it, said he was going to get the cash and trailer. We shook hands and he left saying he would be back in an hour. 3 hours later, I called him... no answer, left a voice mail saying that I had another guy interested if he changed his mind, let me know. The bastard never called back. 

I have had some LT engines listed for $100 each/ ran when pulled. A guy jacked me around for a week saying he worked not too far away and would come out after work, but preferred to check it out during lunch(that wont work for me). Cancelled at the last minute 3 times. He went on and on about how he didnt trust people who sold stuff on CL, being a full time cop, and wanted to hear it run. If it didnt smoke, knock and had good compression, he would buy it. I told him that he was looking for a $300 engine and I didnt sell those and wished him good luck finding what he needs. He is still bugging me, wanting to swing by at lunch to check it out. 

I have a WTB ad for a non runnner golf cart, that I plan on using for a project, and stated that I dont want to drive too far to get it. I have been getting emails from guys over 100 miles away for $800 carts. I posted a pic of my project because post with pics get more hits. Some jack wagon offered to buy the project that isnt even for sale for $250, I have been offered $1000 and still wont sell it

I am about half tempted to load up all the junk I plan on selling in the near future and take it to a consignment auction so I dont have to deal with all of the BS :wallbanging:

Edited by tater195, September 13, 2015 - 07:53 PM.

• Gtractor, MH81, Cvans and 4 others have said thanks

#2 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,133 posts

Posted September 13, 2015 - 07:55 PM

I don't know why anyone uses Craigslist it's dangerous too many idiots and a huge hassle.
At least with ebay you get better exposure and you know the person you are selling to
  • jd.rasentrac said thank you

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 13, 2015 - 08:09 PM

I agree, its all rotten ways to buy/sell anything...

Tater, what golf cart do you need? I have a Yamaha G1 with G2 differential that is a failed project of mine.
  • jd.rasentrac and panzersarebest have said thanks

#4 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

• 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted September 13, 2015 - 08:19 PM

Looking for a decent body from a 4 wheel cart. Dont need engine or diff, but could use steering

It is going on this...

20150909 191039 zpsgp2hfmox

20150911 164111 zpsuka3dvew

Edited by tater195, September 13, 2015 - 08:44 PM.

• MH81 and jd.rasentrac have said thanks

#5 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,141 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted September 14, 2015 - 02:49 AM

Blaming CL for the few idiots using it is like blaming the car because of a drunk driver.  First thing a seller must learn is you don't hold anything for anyone until you get some cash in hand.  I have used CL, eBay and a couple more local sources and have good luck with all of them.  Yes, I did get burned once as the guy didn't tell me all he knew.  That was partially my fault as the area he lived in was a new housing area, all 1A lots or lager and 1/2 mil home was on the cheap side, and he was a senior auditor for Providential Financial.  (Just how much should one expect him to know about GT's?) I should not have even stopped and went back home.  But I went through with my end of the deal with his teenage son as he wold not show up for ? ? ?  Lice and learn.

• grnspot110, WNYTractorTinkerer, jpswift1 and 1 other said thanks

#6 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,450 Thanks
  • 3,359 posts

Posted September 14, 2015 - 06:32 AM

CL and eBay are both good resources and like using the newspaper, local tablets or whatever, you have to use common sense and care.

• grnspot110 said thank you

#7 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted September 14, 2015 - 06:56 AM

I do like
Craigs and eBay what I don't like is the way the world is now using it.. people look at it for a sense of thinking that a piece they want to sell is worth what it is going for elsewhere.looked a a gt and the seller says there's one on E bay that's going for a thousand .so that's what he wants.. I wouldn't have bought it for 200... You just have to beware...
  • jpswift1 said thank you

#8 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

• 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted September 17, 2015 - 06:59 AM

the saga continues.... I am getting flooded with emails from people wanting me to buy their derelict golf carts for $500 ( not gonna happen). I got one yesterday that stated he wanted it gone and it was close, so I called the guy back. He asked when I wanted to stop by and look at it and stated that he was there all of the time and I told him 4pm, "thats fine". 

I called to make sure we were still good for 4 and he didnt answer the phone, no biggie, he didnt answer the phone the first time I called either. I drove 20 minutes to get there after work, nobody home and 16hrs later no reply to the phone call.

Edited by tater195, September 17, 2015 - 08:01 AM.

#9 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 349 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted September 17, 2015 - 09:28 AM

I drove 20 minutes to get there after work, nobody home and 16hrs later no reply to the phone call.

I've made it a point for myself and anyone I sell to, to make contact before departing.  You never know when plans will change. 

I'm also not going to disagree that some people on CL are just flaky! 

#10 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • Member No: 69996
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted April 28, 2016 - 12:12 AM

Blaming CL for the few idiots using it is like blaming the car because of a drunk driver.  First thing a seller must learn is you don't hold anything for anyone until you get some cash in hand.  I have used CL, eBay and a couple more local sources and have good luck with all of them.

Exactly!

• grnspot110 said thank you

#11 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 949 posts

Posted April 28, 2016 - 05:09 AM

Edit your ad so as to repel the village idiots. I have ad currently on kijiji and have been very successful in not having to deal with lookyloos and tire kickers. 

http://www.kijiji.ca...gationFlag=true

#12 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted April 28, 2016 - 07:32 AM

I've done well buying & selling on both. With CL I try to meet them in town or if they have to come to my home the yard is as far as they get & I open carry while their here. It is a game to some that are jerks but their everywhere. We just have to filter through life daily to see the good. I like the looks of the project you got going.

#13 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,245 posts

Posted April 28, 2016 - 09:55 AM

I've found that my ad will reflect the people that email me. When written properly, it will attract the right buyer. The make offer, trade, etc type ads will draw in more tire kickers is what I've found.

#14 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

• 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted April 28, 2016 - 10:22 AM

I did finally get the old golf cart cheap. The steering parts I was gonna use on the other project turned out to be the worst part of the whole thing and ended up rebuilding the cart and bought a steering rack out of a GEO metro for the other project. I have not had a chance to put in on yet. Other easier projects keep cutting in line. 

20160221 164055

#15 easternharvest OFFLINE  

easternharvest
  • Member No: 80494
  • 154 Thanks
  • 140 posts

Posted April 28, 2016 - 10:44 AM

Tater I need a decent atv... PM me