DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted March 14, 2010 - 04:10 PM

This is my Toro Wheel Horse made in the USA got this last fall with a blown motor, which came in pieces in a box. Model # 71196 Hydro, I think it's a 96 and looks like it's been well cared for kept inside. Plan on replacing the engine 16hp B&S single with the same and hopefully have a good riding mower.

Attached Thumbnails

• torro..jpg

Edited by DH1, March 16, 2010 - 08:52 PM.

#2 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 14, 2010 - 04:23 PM

It does look like it was cared for pretty good! Are you looking to replace the engine with a new or used one?

#3 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted March 14, 2010 - 04:29 PM

I'd put a new one in it most of the used stuff I come across is so so, wouldn't mind finding another rider with good engine and bad hydro unit in it, I've seen them from time to time.

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 14, 2010 - 06:00 PM

It does look like it was well cared for and I think you will have a great little tractor once you get the engine taken care of, thank you for posting it :thumbs:

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 14, 2010 - 06:26 PM

That looks in great shape.

#6 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted May 24, 2010 - 08:10 PM

Update:
Picked up a brand new never run Kohler Courage 18hp OHV twin cam single today, $350. Spent some time got it bolted on place, main pulley on, belts run, wired up, fuel line, and throttle hooked up. The exhaust is going to need modifications and the heat shields but it looks like it's going to fit and work nice.

#7 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted May 26, 2010 - 11:14 PM

It runs got the exhaust all modified and hooked up no leaks, had to cut the pipe in 2 different spots modify and weld back together plus weld the output pipe back on. Installed the heat shields with new homemade brackets and hopefully no problems. Man a brand new engine always sounds nice and quiet inside.
Next is to make a battery box holder the original one is missing, so I'll see what I can do there, then it's test drive time.

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 27, 2010 - 04:34 AM

How did you find the motor brand new for that good of a price? Can't beat that and it sounds like everything bolted up pretty easy on it with minor fab work. Nice work Doug.

#9 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted May 27, 2010 - 08:12 PM

How did you find the motor brand new for that good of a price? Can't beat that and it sounds like everything bolted up pretty easy on it with minor fab work. Nice work Doug.

Kijiji some times you get lucky but you have to act fast, it really was brand new never run.

#10 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted May 27, 2010 - 10:37 PM

Test drive tonight everything works OK, needs some fine tuning on the deck, one more heat shield on one side of the motor (plastic hood seems to get a little too hot), but it drives nice and the safety switches all seem to do what there suppose to.

#11 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted May 28, 2010 - 08:35 PM

Well it's more or less finished cuts grass runs good but IMO they don't make them like they used to. Will take pictures tomorrow.
This was made in 96 in the USA, it turns tight, easy to drive, has a more powerful engine, the deck pulleys are all bigger than my Masseys (less belt slippage) but man it just doesn't feel the same as my MF12 Hydra cutting grass.
The 67 MF12 Hydro Massey takes a lot more room to turn, moves faster, the motor works harder but it feels solid compared to the 96 Wheel Horse, different animals.

#12 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted May 29, 2010 - 08:21 PM

Pictures back in operation and up for sale.

Attached Thumbnails

• torro 001..jpg
  • torro 002..jpg
  • torro 003..jpg

Edited by DH1, May 29, 2010 - 09:32 PM.

#13 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted May 29, 2010 - 08:35 PM

Good looking job

#14 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted June 15, 2010 - 08:29 PM

A fellow came to take a look see at the 16-44HXL a week ago wanted to replace his Toro that he sold with his house, wants to get something similar to what he had. Anyway we talked he tried it and didn't like it said it was too slow and the hitch wasn't strong enough. He showed me another ad for a tractor exactly like his old one for $1000. in good working order asked me if it was a good deal, I looked at the ad and the pictures and and told him "go buy it, your comparing an apple to a peanut" the ad was for a Toro Wheel Horse 520H that looked to be mint, kept inside with hub caps.

#15 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 15, 2010 - 09:01 PM

A fellow came to take a look see at the 16-44HXL a week ago wanted to replace his Toro that he sold with his house, wants to get something similar to what he had. Anyway we talked he tried it and didn't like it said it was too slow and the hitch wasn't strong enough. He showed me another ad for a tractor exactly like his old one for $1000. in good working order asked me if it was a good deal, I looked at the ad and the pictures and and told him "go buy it, your comparing an apple to a peanut" the ad was for a Toro Wheel Horse 520H that looked to be mint, kept inside with hub caps.

Aint that somethin. You did the right thing.