• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gage's Garage OFFLINE  

Gage's Garage
  • Member No: 74343
  • 14 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted September 13, 2015 - 12:26 PM

Looking for suggestions/help with my homelite t-16 that I cannot get to run right. It was not running when I acquired it, I replaced the coil and plug and got it running. Installed a carb rebuild kit and it ran a little better, but had trouble getting the high speed right. this weekend I cleaned all the gunk out of the head, put it back together to b&s specifications, went through the carb to make sure it was all clean, and now I can't get the darn thing to run hardly at all. It runs ok on full choke at idle speed, but anything other than that and it dies. I have tried cleaning the carb out thoroughly, opening up the idle screw, checked all fuel lines, replaced fuel filter, and still the issue remains. I'm stumped and out of things to try, hopefully someone here can help me out, as my next idea is total carb replacement.

#2 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,198 Thanks
  • 1,439 posts

Posted September 13, 2015 - 01:32 PM

Time to go back to first principles: Suck, squeeze, bang, blow, but mostly suck.  If it runs marginally at idle with full choke, and not at all outside those parameters, one must look at what is happening in the carb at full choke.  That is, an increase in vacuum inside the carb enabling it to suck some fuel out of the fuel bowel.  Sounds like one of two things: 1) you are sucking air from somewhere other than the air filter, or 2) you have a blockage in your fuel system.  Start by giving your carb a shake.  Is it loose? Are your gaskets in place?  Then, remove the fuel bowl and turning on the fuel shut off.  Do you get fuel flowing out of the carb?  If not, work your way backwards in the fuel system until you get to the hole in the fuel cap.  If you have a solid flow of fuel out of the carb, you need to redo the carb.  There has to be a blocked jets somewhere that is keeping fuel from being sucked out of the fuel bowl under normal vacuum.  If none of that works, look to your governor system. Is it keeping the throttle closed?

Edited by New.Canadian.DB.Owner, September 13, 2015 - 01:35 PM.

• boyscout862, Chopperhed, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,442 Thanks
  • 7,334 posts

Posted September 13, 2015 - 01:42 PM

I agree with above. One other thing I would add is check that the gas itself is good. Good Luck, Rick
  • Chopperhed said thank you

#4 petrj6 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,700 Thanks
  • 2,157 posts

Posted September 13, 2015 - 01:52 PM

Not really related but in all your working did you have any of the ign system out or move any wires around?  running ok at idle but no hi rpms could be a bad condenser, or weak coil.  odds are if it ran ok before and now you are having trouble it is most likely in the work you have already done, I would do as the others suggested, tear it down and rebuild or just double check your work and try again.

• boyscout862, Chopperhed and Gage's Garage have said thanks

#5 Chopperhed ONLINE  

• Member No: 20120
  • 1,842 Thanks
  • 1,064 posts

Posted September 13, 2015 - 02:10 PM

Never assume that a recently cleaned carb is going to work. There have been times that I've had to clean a carb 3-4 times to get all the little passages cleared  Did you set all the screws to their original settings? If it runs at idle with the choke on and bogs and dies when you rev it up, that would indicate a seriously lean condition. Its getting way too much air from some where, or it's not getting enough  fuel.

• boyscout862, sodisr and Gage's Garage have said thanks

#6 Gage's Garage OFFLINE  

Gage's Garage
  • Member No: 74343
  • 14 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted September 13, 2015 - 02:15 PM

I pulled the high speed screw out of the bottom of the carb, and gas flowed out, indicating the bowl was getting fuel just fine. Rechecked all screws that might've caused a bad seal and let air in, and all seemed fine. At that point, assuming there was no loss of vacuum, and fuel was being adequately delivered to the bowl, I realized the issue was in getting fuel from the bowl to the cylinder. This led me to pulling the nozzle, and running a very fine wire through the holes on the sides of it. Got it put back together and noticed instant improvement. Still needs a little tuning, but it will now run with no choke, all the way from idle to wide open. Thanks everybody for the support!

• Alc, Chopperhed, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#7 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,631 Thanks
  • 8,517 posts

Posted September 13, 2015 - 03:51 PM

Never assume anything.  I just had a lean runner in the shop.  Took the carb off 4 times and cleaned it never once did I find anything wrong. replaced the gaskets from the head back, still had the same problem.  Finally did was I should have done in the first place and sprayed some carb cleaner around the flanges.  Sure enough I had an air leak.  I assumed with new gaskets that would take care of the issue.  I ended up having to seal the gaskets to get it to seal. 

Follow New Canadian.DB.owner's advice but also check with some carb cleaner and make sure you flanges are sealed.

• sodisr, Chopperhed and Gage's Garage have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: briggs and stratton, homelite, carburetor