• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted September 13, 2015 - 08:42 AM

just brought home a 1250 a week ago,  hope not the "multiplication like rabbits" starting.... always seems to work that way. look look and look some more, find 1, then more just sort of "follow"   I had this with teh Sears Suburbans in the past (have nothing of those left now) 

now it seems that this week I will be getting a 129 with 2 sets of IH wheel weights, and there is a plow, but don't know if that's yet included.  

I am still working on the 1250 in bits and spurts, do not yet have it running, but now know what I will need to have the engine going, then I can see if the tractor at least moves on its own power....

now I'm probably getting another. 

IDK if I'm gonna be able to keep em both (room in the garage considerations) but will get em both going and then "evaluate" them to see if I keep 1 or both; 

Other than knowing that the Quietlines came just "after" they quit making 129s  what are the differences between them? Will attachments interchange?

I know they are; both hydro

both 12HP Kohlers

one has gear starter, the other starter/gen

what else

• wvbuzzmaster and BNK have said thanks

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 13, 2015 - 09:46 AM

Yup, you have wabbit season
  • dodge trucker and propane1 have said thanks

#3 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,300 Thanks
  • 2,334 posts

Posted September 13, 2015 - 11:56 AM

Most Manual lift 129s didn't have a Ported pump.I may be wrong but I think All 1250s had a ported pump.I would definitely swap in a ported pump if your going to keep the 129.

I personally hate the Manual PTO on the older Cub Cadets.Don't get me wrong they work very well but when they don't they can be a Real pain in the butt to fix.Especially if the Keyway on the Clutch basket gets sloppy.

• wvbuzzmaster, Dieselcubmike and dodge trucker have said thanks

#4 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 62066
  • 983 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted September 13, 2015 - 12:27 PM

My 1975 1250 is manual lift and has the smaller "charge pump" on the hydro pump but I have seen them with hydraulic lift. Hyd lift and headlights were standard for the 1450 & 1650 model's. Depending on the year IH change to internal brakes, aluminum axle tubes, automatic dump valves and 1" front spindles, redesign the steering wheel also white outline IH logo...just name a few I recall.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20150203_173800.jpg

• EricFromPa and dodge trucker have said thanks

#5 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 13, 2015 - 04:13 PM

Most Manual lift 129s didn't have a Ported pump.I may be wrong but I think All 1250s had a ported pump.I would definitely swap in a ported pump if your going to keep the 129.

I personally hate the Manual PTO on the older Cub Cadets.Don't get me wrong they work very well but when they don't they can be a Real pain in the butt to fix.Especially if the Keyway on the Clutch basket gets sloppy.

Agreed. My 108 had issues with the clutch basket pulley being loose on the shaft, so since i had no mower for it, the pto was eliminated and a regular pulley installed for the starter generator.

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, September 13, 2015 - 04:15 PM.

• dodge trucker said thank you

#6 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,358 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted September 13, 2015 - 04:19 PM

Engine cradle is one area they were different.  129's did not have that as it was part of the "quietline" hardware.

#7 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted September 13, 2015 - 04:37 PM

what do you mean "ported" pump?  The 1250 is hyd. lift and has headlights, I do not have the 129 here yet.

#8 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,300 Thanks
  • 2,334 posts

Posted September 13, 2015 - 05:53 PM

HydroCompare.jpg~original.jpg

A ported pump takes a good bit less power to run.They flow alot more fluid though the charge pump.

You can really tell the difference when mowing up a hill.A Ported pump will not groan and pull the engine down nearly as much as a Non ported pump.

That's a good thing because once you turn around and head back down hill the Non ported pump will run away because it took more power and faster speed setting on the leaver to go up.

Edited by EricFromPa, September 13, 2015 - 05:54 PM.

#9 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted September 14, 2015 - 09:44 AM

Attachments interchangeable between them?
If all else is equal/ condition, amount of time and parts to get either into usable shape, which would you keep if you couldn't make room for both?

#10 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,358 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted September 14, 2015 - 03:49 PM

Attachments are the same for both of them and if I had my choice I'd keep the quietline.

#11 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted September 14, 2015 - 09:30 PM

well the 129 is home, the guy said the relief valves on the trans are bad and said "they all go bad"  IDK about that, haven't ever dug deep enough into Cubs to know that... would there be any place other than CC/MTD to get them?

quickie repaint (run city) half azz hardware store hood hinge, (loose too)   hydro filter looks recent,  looks like deck's all redone, pulleys all new and shiney looking, new bolts, etc... muffler, tunnel cover came with in a coffee can.

Edited by dodge trucker, September 14, 2015 - 09:44 PM.

#12 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted September 14, 2015 - 09:33 PM

by serial numbers, 129 was built in June 72,  and my 1250 was built July 76.

#13 Brucepts OFFLINE  

Brucepts
  • Member No: 49949
  • 177 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 08:15 PM

well the 129 is home, the guy said the relief valves on the trans are bad and said "they all go bad"  IDK about that, haven't ever dug deep enough into Cubs to know that... would there be any place other than CC/MTD to get them?

I'm not a Cub Guru only had mine for a year now but on the 149 I picked up the manual releif valve was stuck open, removed it cleaned it with PB Blaster and broke it free using a small diameter punch. Worked it open and closed manually to clean the rust and put it back in the tractor and it was good to go. It's a ball valve and spring setup not really that much to go wrong with it other than rusted open or closed.

Not sure if it's an automatic valve on what goes wrong with those, only messed with the manual one on the 149 my 1250 has automatic ones.

#14 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 08:28 PM

the 129 has manual ones, they seem to push down and spring back alright, which would make me think at this time taht they are OK. I have not had time to check further, just going by what the PO claimed and judging by what pieces I was given in a coffee can with the tractor, I guess he took the cover off to get to them. (they are still screwed into the trans itself)  It does have a brand new hydro filter and i did get a partial quart of Hytran with the tractor.

Likewise I have not had a chance to dig into my 1250 to see if its reliefs are the same or the other style yet.

#15 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted September 19, 2015 - 11:37 AM

would the check valves (relief valves) in the trans swap between these 2 machines? I have not dug into it yet but the PO of the 129 claims that they are bad on that tractor....I'd like to swap these between them to see what happens once I get the engines fired up....

if not who would have a set for the 129??? I know too that this unit needs (at least) a fan for the hydro, there are only 2 blades left on the one taht is now on it.