• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 ijnfleetadmiral OFFLINE  

ijnfleetadmiral

• Member No: 7547
  • 1 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted November 23, 2011 - 09:20 PM

1986 - 1990 Craftsman 18hp model...fix it up and you've got one heck of a tractor!

-Matt

#17 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted November 25, 2011 - 01:30 AM

That is Definitely a Briggs and Stratton 18hp Opposed Twin.I've had a few dozen lol
They started to make the opposed twins in the Mid 70s with the 14hp,14.5hp and 16hp The older ones had points like the old Onans.

Casey is looking for a booster fan for his if you decide to part it out.And I would love to have those Mufflers.

Some of those are not worth rebuilding.but most of them are.There are a few models that have Aluminum cylinder bore and if they knock it will most likely be excess piston slap.
But if it's Cast Bore you can hone or clean bore it and stick a set of 20.5hp pistons in her.And drill the Jet in the carb a bit.

They are a very good running engine if you keep oil in them.The rear plate on the block is notorious for leaking oil on these.

Wow this is an old thread I just noticed the date on Kenny's post.:bigrofl:

Kenny do you still have that tractor?Casey could really use the booster fan off of it.

Edited by EricFromPa, November 25, 2011 - 01:36 AM.

#18 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted November 25, 2011 - 06:04 PM

I still have it and it does run with a knock. I don't know for sure what I will do with it as yet, too many in line before it. Wonder if those mufflers would work on my Onan?

#19 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted November 26, 2011 - 03:48 PM

Kenny they might work on an Onan if you cut the elbows off and weld up some pipe but the Onan exhaust ports sit flat on the top of the engine and the briggs you can see is at an angle.
I wanted them to weld up on a Briggs 18hp V-Twin I have with a blown out muffler.

Keep an eye out for a booster fan for Casey will ya?If you find one it has to have an 1 5/8 offset from where it makes contact to the flywheel and the fan blades on the booster fan.
Caseys beloved CAT GT (craftsman GT18) is down till he finds the part.:mecry:

#20 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted November 26, 2011 - 05:12 PM

Thanks on the mufflers, I figured I might have to rework them a bit. Mainly hoping they were large enough dia. I hate to pull that fan off that engine until I know it's beyond repair. It's still on the tractor. Main thing wrong right now is the starter. It quit. May have a mud dauber nest in it.